MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Cathay Pacific Flight CX365

A Cathay Pacific Flight CX365 (STD: 0945) from Shanghai to Hong Kong has been involved in an incident at Shanghai Pudong International Airport this morning.

We can confirm that all the 351 passengers and 19 crew have been evacuated from the Boeing 747-400 aircraft. Our preliminary information indicates that the Captain ordered the aircraft evacuated because smoke was detected in the cabin prior to departure.

All passengers and crew were taken to the airport after evacuation, and we have been informed that there are only a few minor injuries. At this stage our priority is the welfare of our passengers and crew.

We have launched an investigation into the incident and are cooperating with the authorities at Shanghai airport.

We are still ascertaining details of the incident and will release further information as when it can be confirmed.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_SG/specialupdates

Wow...for most people an incident like this could be scary...but for MWingers like us,i'm sure it was fun and exciting to evacuate via the slide and still live to tell a tale. Good thing nothing serious and everyone is ok...kudos to crew and pilot.

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

It is not fun at all to jump on the slide due to guaranteed skin abrasion that everyone will experience due to slide/skin friction..... :help:

It is less affected if you are wearing thick clothes like jeans/jacket. Just imagine you are on short or skirt ......... :cray:

:hi:

It is less affected if you are wearing thick clothes like jeans/jacket. Just imagine you are on short or skirt ......... :cray:

Ouch...

Wow...for most people an incident like this could be scary...but for MWingers like us,i'm sure it was fun and exciting to evacuate via the slide and still live to tell a tale. Good thing nothing serious and everyone is ok...kudos to crew and pilot.

First thing that enters our mind as we jump on the slide, "TRIP REPORT!!" while screaming "YAHOOOO!!!" as you slide down :yahoo:

Back to some serious stuff, the angle of the slide from the upper deck looks pretty steep from the pictures. Must've been a scary ride down.

Edited by S M Tang

It is not fun at all to jump on the slide due to guaranteed skin abrasion that everyone will experience due to slide/skin friction..... :help:

:hi:

Very true...just to share, when flying always wear shoes made of leather...never flip flops or sandals...sportshoes are fine and jeans....and when you slide down the slide, human instict is to hold the slide witg both your hands....butalways keep them in clenched fist forward infront of you or cross them across your chest....

..... Just imagine you are on short or skirt ......... :cray:

I would much rather not, but then it's just a personal preference :p

I would much rather not, but then it's just a personal preference :p

Hehehe.. true, you never know these days... whether one is on Team A, Team B or Team AB, Team C and so forth!

Are you sure BC, you might arouse someone if you attempt it! :D

A hypothetical question for the die-hard aviation enthusiast:

In an emergency evacuation, would you grab your camera bag ... especially if you have just completed the aviation photography and spotting trip of a lifetime?

I fully agree with Kenneth's advice about wearing good shoes and appropriate clothes when flying ... just in case of an emergency. When I see the number of people wearing open sandles and shorts on a plane, I always wonder about any form of emergency situation.

In spite of everything said about this evacuation of a CX B744, I think it is a good outcome as everyone is safe. I even see the cabin attendants directing passengers in one of the photos above. Well done, looking so pristine even after sliding down the chute.

KC Sim

The following is taken from www.onebag.com/popups/plane-crashes.pdf

Appropriate Clothing

Ideally, clothing should be flame-resistant, snag-resistant, and weather-appropriate.

Fire being an omnipresent concern in any airplane emergency, it’s wise to wear clothing that covers you thoroughly (trousers, long-sleeved shirt), and is reasonably flame-resistant. Synthetic materials, especially in clothing that clings to the skin, are inadvisable (this includes nylon stockings); synthetics melt rather than burn, and can result in your own private napalm-like hell. Wool is a reliable choice, followed by linen and cotton/silk.

Choose clothing that is unlikely to get snagged on things as you’re stumbling through the chaotic shambles inside a plane that you’re trying to evacuate.

Surviving an emergency landing will be of little solace if you die of exposure an hour or two later. Even a summertime flight from Los Angeles to Europe passes over Arctic ice and snow, where a t-shirt and shorts won’t stand you in very good stead! Be sure to have any outdoor clothing items you might need while taking off and landing close at hand (not in the overhead, unless it’s for mid-journey weather, like that Arctic ice). Wool is again a good option, even providing some insulation while in the water, without getting too waterlogged.

Your mobility is an essential aspect of your survival ability. During a bad landing, you must protect your feet and legs, so that you can walk to the exit (through broken glass and who knows what else) and away from the crash site. This is no place for sandals and high heels: wear sturdy lace-up shoes, and keep them on your feet during the “full alert” periods (you’re unlikely to have time to put them on during an emergency).

Interesting topic and I wonder what the members wear while flying? I only have my mind on where to go and what to do, hence the "appropriate attire". Slightly thicker shirt to handle the cooler interior and a pair of jeans.

Sign in to follow this