MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Arthur Van Straten

Eaglexpressair Charter

Here's hoping they do not get squeezed by the monopolistic behemoths as the Eagle tries to spread its wings in the next few days. There's plenty of unused traffic rights between Saudi and Malaysia, and it will be a shame if this bird cannot get any.

And the challenges are so great just a slight nudge will be more than sufficient to unbalance them.

Goooood Luck.

Good evening.

It has been awhile since the company had announced it's plans to start operating. I may be mistaken but I recall a start of Umrah flights for a Malaysian/Singaporean travel agent in the first week of march 2012, amongst other plans.

Anybody here in the know how they are doing at the moment?

Thanks

Art

Alsmost one month gone since my last question regarding the "New Airline".

Anybody in the know here of what the plan is? Will it go along the lines of

the start ups we have seen before, re, Global, for example.?

Whats wrong, why the silence?

Regards

Art

No news means the aircraft has not left the ground yet and from what I heard, MAS had deployed a few B744 (2 class haj config) flights to/fro JED in March to carry some of the Eagle Express pax .Rumour has it that Eagle Express could not obtain the landing rights from RSA govt.

:hi:

Eagle Express is in ICU. Assignments for Landing rights after the Govt to Govt Air Services Agreement is agreed upon lies with the home country, not the host country so not quite accurate to say the RSA Govt disallows Eagle Express to operate into KSA.

Gung Ho approach by Eagle Express in pre-signing Charter Agreements with agents prior to putting key financial and operational processes in place means inability to deliver. As such Eagle Express have to find alternative means to move their passengers. MAS is the only vehicle, and the Charter costs per flight charged by MH puts the fledgling Eagle Express in a precarious financial position.

The required Proving Flights ( a DCA/MoT requirement ) were postponed numerous times as leasing agreements were not settled yet.

As i said in my earlier posts; Good Luck.

And pity the frontline troops.

Lock SH and Nik H, thx for reply.

Let me first say that I am in no way a participant in any present program to set up a new charter or scheduled airline

whatsoever and have no intention as such as I am a retired airline captain from a European legacy carrier enjoying

my status in the M2H program.

I am just interested in the way airline business is being done in this geographical area and what I have seen in the few years that

I have been in this country is that several attempts have been made by different groups of people to get into the lucrative

Haj and Umrah business.

They all failed, basically, and that makes it so pathetic, due to lack of even basic understanding of international airline ops,

bilateral agreements and their pitfalls, destination countries traffic policies, training and maintenance issues and charter contracts agreements to name a few.

What they all had in commen was the initial hype at the beginning with nationwide newspaper and television coverage,

parading flight attendants around in their nice uniforms, buying aircraft and signing non deliverable charter agreements,

hiring key ops staff, burning capital at a killer rate, without, ... having done their homework.

As I said, none of my business, but I agree with Nik H here, frontline troops people will be bleeding, but,

where they not a little bit naive?

It takes more than a pot of money and delusional grandeur. History teached us that, again and again.

But, there are bigger problems in the Malaysian aviation scene.

Cheers

Art

Caveat Emptor.

A bird on the wire has informed me, it could be a rumor, that the Eagle has landed.

Apparently, the Korean investor has called it a day and the management is looking for new investors.

If true, can only feel sorry for the folks who joined in good spirits and now face burned bridges.

There sure was potential, Haj and Umrah are still big business, always will be, Very sad if true.

Is there really no alternative in Malaysia then to go through Tony F. if you want to start up an aviation business?

Maybe they did not ask?

Anyway, Who's next.?

No Cheers

Art

I hear a prob was the source of the so-called Korean money. No disclosure, so show-stopper.

Is there really no alternative in Malaysia then to go through Tony F. if you want to start up an aviation business?

Maybe they did not ask?

I think the operative word is "profitably"... On this, TF, can deliver! He has managed to turn losses in Thai and Indonesia AirAsia back to profits too.

Others may be able to run an airline, but to run it well is another matter. So far (and sad to say), only one individual in this country has that kind of track record of being able to sustain an airline for the long term.

So far (and sad to say), only one individual in this country has that kind of track record of being able to sustain an airline for the long term.

"One individual" ?! :)

The Chosen One?

Alluding to Chelsea Football Club's recent history - "The Special ONE" :D

Only that this 'one' is more entwined associated with another London based football club than CFC (I reckon) :p

Edited by BC Tam

That's the beauty of being an Airline Pilot. You can dabble into Air transport Business and fail, and can always fall back on your ATPL and still bring home RM40k a month.

......and still bring home RM40k a month.

Only by working in some other country.

@ Naim.

Your post # 38.

It has intriqued me. Was there a money problem?. More precise, a money declaration problem??

That would explain a bit. Burning a couple of hundred million USD in the first few months would not

make much sense, now does it?

Can you educate me further?

Cheers

Art

There definitely has been a money gap, with some complicated money transfer Bank Negara issues being blamed as a convenient barrier. But I think someone got spooked after initially getting carried away by optimistic stories from those who stole someone else's idea, but have insufficient market knowledge to carry out the plan.

The slipping timeline also made those holding the purse strings tighten up.

As always, there's more to it than many will ever know.

@ Naim.

Your post # 38.

It has intriqued me. Was there a money problem?. More precise, a money declaration problem??

A source told me, there was prob in the declaration of the huge amt of capital purportedly entering the country. I supposed this is the anti-money laundering process at the central bank. That's all I know.