MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

'Old' Subang Airport

The last fire was in '94 I think...

I was on Malaysian One coming from LHR

When realised that we circled Teluk Intan a few times

that I got to know there're delays due to radar failure...

Since we had First Lady on board

(I know 'cos the FA mistook my friend & me as her 'body guards' :lol: )

we had priority landing... maybe 'bingo' too :p ...

I was on Malaysian One coming from LHR

When realised that we circled Teluk Intan a few times

that I got to know there're delays due to radar failure...

Teluk Intan...mmmh. my home town !

Radar fire was indeed in 1994. At that time, I was still studying in the UK. I remember about the chaos and we almost miss our connecting flights from SIN to LHR.

Part of this plan was to arrange LIMA to be held in Subang..THat's just what i heard..Maybe plan change to build a bus station like SV mentioned..

If 'LIMA' is to be held in Subang, then it will become 'SIA' - Subang International Air Show, drops maritime... :p

Wow..Subang International Air Show..

But i'll be in Lembah Beringin!! :o :(

Alaaa..gotta forfeit my vantage point in my house to A Levels... :angry:

On a side note,

The radar fire in 1994..i remember it very well...was with my dad in the hangar...when the radar erupted in flames! I remember hearing this though...

"Aslam...the bloody turning thing is on fire!!"

Must've been an apprentice... :p

I recall the tower fire was arson, and somebody was convicted of it. I can't remember if the other fires were arson too.

I like those pics Fairizuan. Bring lots of memories. The one with the 3 young ladies was a place I liked so much to watch MSA 737s...until they blocked it off. I see a JAL DC-8 in that picture... perhaps not many notice that MH's cheatline has close resemblance to that of old JAL.

Yea, very 70's. B) If I'm not mistaken, before they blocked the area, people can access the viewing area somewhere nearby A&W restaurant right?

I really luv B) and missed the mural design inside T1, very Malaysian. Unfortunately can't find any pics of it. And of course the best roti canai I ever had at SZB staff canteen. Their kari... totally out of this world. B)

Edited by M N Fairizuan

hmmmm Subang was a nice place :)

still is a great place!

It's a real shame they pulled down the old terminal.. surely they could have converted it into an exhibition hall?? it would be ideal for a KL international Aerospace Exhibition (KLIAE) hehehe :D

Second was the tower fire. Must be in 1992 because at that time I was doing ground school at the MAS simulator building. And on the day after the fire MAS engineering had an open day at the hangar.

Yeah I did remember something about that. After studying in NZ for a year as an International student, my family migrated to NZ in 1992 and I remember that just before we took our flight, the news came through and said that Subang airport was on fire, this resulted the closure of area between gate 1-4 (the closest side to end of runway).

Really miss Subang T1's balcony and the spiral ramps.... Subang T1 is like the witness to the growth of our country.

Subang is a definately beautiful.......remember took flights to Honolulu via SIN in 1991 with 1994-so on around SEA with MH........all thru SZB

I particularly like the design of the control tower...definitively unique.

The fire to which it was subjected caused traffic to be limited I recall - MAS even had to combine pax from several flights to JHB onto a single one on a 747 from KUL.

Edited by H Azmal

what lies at Subang nowdays...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey amzari, you have pics of last Sunday's KCH DHL culprit here! :o

.naim

An old postcard of Subang at eBay. I can almost feel being there... what a great place it was.

Although it says postally used in 1984, I believe the picture was photographed much earlier. By 1984, the aerobridges were being or have been installed, and the viewing gallery with the circular 'deck' was gone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Airport-Postcard-Suban...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Rozhan

Looks like every a/c photo taken and posted here have some ill fated incident?? :blink:

I remember one in flight log book A330 rego 9M-MKE, and weeks later it end up overshooting while making 180 turn at runway end, now this one, same fate hehe.. just jk jk anyways.. :p

The eerie part is - it's all at KCH so far ! :unsure:

It is not the aircraft, it is the airport.

Sign in to follow this