MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

KLIA baggage service to KL Sentral floundered on pricey fee

SEPANG, Nov 1 — A baggage service from KLIA to the KL Sentral city terminal failed to garner customers because Malaysian Airport Holdings Berhad (MAHB) wanted to charge RM45 per passenger, RM10 higher than the fast train service between both points.

The Malaysian Insider understands that this was the price being negotiated with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to pay for the RM184 million baggage retrieval system that is still not being used to allow city checkouts, the main revenue source for the project that was planned a decade ago.

There is no charge now for sending bags from the terminal to KLIA via the 57km Express Rail Link (ERL), which charges RM35 for a one-way trip.

The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) said today that MAHB’s price was too high but refused to disclose figures being discussed by the airport operator and the national carrier, so far the only airlines in talks to use the system that was completed in March 2008.

“They are now working on how to reduce the cost to customers. Originally the price was too high. They did not think through the business model properly before implementing it. Now they are trying to solve this problem,” PAC chairman Datuk Seri Azmi Khalid said.

But a source told The Malaysian Insider “no one wants to use it because the cost might be an extra RM45 per pax to check your baggage out at KL Sentral.

“Who is going to pay that much? So it is likely MAS will become a scapegoat,” the source said.

The main portion of the system is a “high-speed tray” that links a satellite building near the runway to the main terminal in the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) where baggage is reclaimed or diverted to the Express Rail Link (ERL) that heads to KL Sentral.

This was to allow baggage to reach ERL trains quickly enough so as not to delay passengers who only want to reclaim their bags on arrival at the capital.

The Transport Ministry has said in the 2010 Auditor General’s Report that this high-speed system moves baggage five times faster than the old carousel linking the satellite building to the main terminal.

This was in response to the audit’s findings that direct negotiations and delays had caused the project cost to double from RM92.4 million.

However, Azmi insisted today that the project is not a wasted initiative by the Transport Ministry.

“In my opinion and most of the PAC, even if it does not work for Sentral, it increases the speed within KLIA,” the Padang Besar MP said.

Source

It's kinda expensive. I don't think many people would opt to use that service. KLIA Express is not even utilised. Poor thing. I was flying on a MH domestic sector and when I've collected my luggage at KLIA, I was shocked my luggage has been opened and the TSA lock was gone.

I was kinda mad and I wanted to report to MH. However, there were nothing missing and I was really flat out. And so I let it go.

Yes, KLIA Express is also overpriced, even now! That is why the bus companies are doing roaring trade! The luggage fee is exhorbitant - now you know why MAHB is being described as greedy by AirAsia X's CEO!

Normally, when a new facility is provided, there is an introductory or promotional period. I would have thought that a fee of RM 5 in the first six to twelve months would be a good way to encourage people to try the service. It can then be raised to RM 15 after than.

Ive always wondered why this was built and not used.

Seems a bit silly to build the facility and then not have any confirmed people using it.

Well MH are the only ones offering check in at KL Sentral - I am not sure how long this will continue since MH are now trying to cut costs and losses...

Well MH are the only ones offering check in at KL Sentral - I am not sure how long this will continue since MH are now trying to cut costs and losses...

Are you sure? I thought BI, CX, and EK are available, too.

Agreed that the KLIA Express is way too expensive. If 2 people are traveling, taxi's are not only cheaper, but they take you right to where you want to be !

The "Express" instead drops you off at a station which isn't even connected to the monorail which is a 15 minute walk / climb away.

Agreed that the KLIA Express is way too expensive. If 2 people are traveling, taxi's are not only cheaper, but they take you right to where you want to be !

The "Express" instead drops you off at a station which isn't even connected to the monorail which is a 15 minute walk / climb away.

It is the KL Monorail causing the inconvenience which is not connected to KL Sentral, not KLIA Express. Besides, I don't think it needs 15 mins to reach KL Monorail Station.

Edited by Mike P

Are you sure? I thought BI, CX, and EK are available, too.

I can confirm that besides MH, BI, CX and EK also offer check-in service at KL Sentral. They all have been having such services for years.

I can confirm that besides MH, BI, CX and EK also offer check-in service at KL Sentral. They all have been having such services for years.

Yes, I have checked in at KL Sentral for my recent flight to HKG with CX and a year ago with EK to MEL.

My personal experience - if you have luggage, do not attempt the KL monorail :D

If you have luggage, don't even attempt any rail except the expensive KLIA Express.

Sign in to follow this