MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Md Amer

Emirates Considering Penang & Kota Kinabalu

I thought it was only the 737-400 being referred to as Jellyfish. If Jellyfish is referred to MH, it makes more sense.

Another difficult one would be TG's logo, which supposedly based on a decorative mat on a Thai Eleplant's head, according to a Thai friend of mine. Anyway this is OT.

The question is what would EK use for BKI? A332, B772 or B77L?

Agreed. I thought only MAS' B737-400 is referred as jellyfish. MAS' A330-300 is stingray and A380 is dugong….. sorry for OT.

..... MAS' B737-400 is referred as jellyfish. MAS' A330-300 is stingray and A380 is dugong…..

And the B737-800s are ? Sotong ? :p

The question is what would EK use for BKI? A332, B772 or B77L?

EK is going to retire A332 very soon. Best guess would be B77L.

Off topic...but the jellyfish nickname is given to MH based on the "logo"...not the aircraft type. So MH's A330 and A380 are as much jellyfishes as the MH734....although the A380 jellyfish is probably the type that is starved of any oxygen...(btw, how do jellyfish breathe?)

Ya, Dugong refers to the A380 regardless of airlines.

Off topic...but the jellyfish nickname is given to MH based on the "logo"...not the aircraft type. So MH's A330 and A380 are as much jellyfishes as the MH734....although the A380 jellyfish is probably the type that is starved of any oxygen...(btw, how do jellyfish breathe?)

Yes, I agreed. Jellyfish relates to the MH logo better.

Can we move back to the topic please? I am worried that we may end up having a seafood fest later on :D

Edited by S V Choong

Well EK did send their Skycargo T7 to BKI last year. Picture by Jahur.

DSC_0914_zpsddc02f54.jpg

Edited by Waiping

Another difficult one would be TG's logo, which supposedly based on a decorative mat on a Thai Eleplant's head, according to a Thai friend of mine.

Really? I swear I read like gazillion of posts in A.Net saying that TG's logo is an orchid (the flower).

Really? I swear I read like gazillion of posts in A.Net saying that TG's logo is an orchid (the flower).

To be honest, I am not sure either. This is what I was told by my Thai friend. I did a search around the net and found this quote:

"The ornament consists of three main things: Firstly, it contains a magnolia blossom (indicated with the pink part), secondly we can find a stylised version of the typical Thai salutation “Wai”, if you rotate the logo 90 degrees in a clock-wise direction (only in this picture though) and as a third it represents the characteristically pitched roofs. And all that put into one with the colors of gold, standing for the temples, the purple representing the tropical orchids as well as the Thai silk’s glamor – a true piece of art!"

It is quite possible that he is right as well. Thai salutation gesture "Wai" is more like it, but to say it is inspired by an Orchid flower, that is beyond me... Sometimes, westerners tended to misinterpret things and those in A.net might think they know very much everything of the world.

Anyway, I have also found some other images which sort of supports what my Thai friend told me about the mat on the elephant's head (could also be a head wear in some religious figurines." Elephants are religious and highly respected animals in the Kingdom of Thai. Not surprised that a lot of things are inspired by this Wai gesture.

Pict7069.jpg

ganesha.jpg

asian_elephants_4.jpg

thai-elephant-wear-red-cloth-19570593.jp

pc-140313-thailand-national-elephant-day

Thai-Elephants-Page-4.jpg

pd2207895.jpg

elephants-slavery-ayutthaya-thailand.jpg

I am guilty of being O/T again...

Sign in to follow this