MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Md Amer

Emirates Considering Penang & Kota Kinabalu

EMIRATES MAY FLY TO SABAH

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2011

KUALA LUMPUR: Middle Eastern airline Emirates is looking at the possibility of flying out of other destinations in Malaysia in the next three to five years.

The carrier currently offers three flights daily out of Kuala Lumpur to Dubai. One extends to Melbourne.

"We have made initial studies but we have not decided on it yet. There is lot of potential out of Penang if you ask me, but it will be about two years from now before we decide on anything," Emirates Malaysia country manager Kavin Martinus said.

Another destination Emirates is looking at in Malaysia is the Kota Kinabalu - Dubai route. This was part of a feasibility study done by Emirates five to six years ago on a 10-year plan to identify new growth areas for itself in Malaysia.

"Kota Kinabalu is also in the pipeline, eventually with so many aircraft on order and so many destinations we cannot discount that possibility," Martinus said.

While in Europe, Emirates flies out of multiple destinations in one country, it has not replicated this strategy in Southeast Asia. The airline's strategy is to fly to primary points Yfirst and slowly expand.

"We play it safe and fly to business destinations first, if we have proper business traffic then leisure traffic will follow," Martinus said.

The airline normaYlly takes feedback from all stations before starting a new route.

Emirates has a fleet of 153 aircraft now, servicing over 100 cities around the world. It has 75 Airbus 380s, 70 Airbus 350s and 49 Boeing 777s on order.

(Source: Daily Express, 20 Sep 2011)

waaaa so best if this happens

hm.... maybe they fly the A380 for this route haha

Strategic Airlines of Australia also planning to fly to KK

Couldn't find this news anywhere. Where did u hear this? It would be great to have Air Australia in KK after the demise of Australian Airlines (Love the livery). I hope they'll do BKI - SYD.

Couldn't find this news anywhere. Where did u hear this? It would be great to have Air Australia in KK after the demise of Australian Airlines (Love the livery). I hope they'll do BKI - SYD.

In aviation magazine. Forgot the name. But Strategic plans to fly to KK from Perth and Brisbane.And to KL from Sydney

i have the feeling that MH wont allow this from happening. msia is long known as being too protective of the local economy..

"We have made initial studies but we have not decided on it yet. There is lot of potential out of Penang if you ask me, but it will be about two years from now before we decide on anything," Emirates Malaysia country manager Kavin Martinus said.

Another destination Emirates is looking at in Malaysia is the Kota Kinabalu - Dubai route. This was part of a feasibility study done by Emirates five to six years ago on a 10-year plan to identify new growth areas for itself in Malaysia.
"Kota Kinabalu is also in the pipeline, eventually with so many aircraft on order and so many destinations we cannot discount that possibility," Martinus said.

Slow day today and also I feel the urge to bring an old topic again to attention. It is now more than two years since he mentioned it. :) Seriously, Do secondary points in Malaysia have the potential to be directly served by Emirates or any other ME airlines since they (EK, EY & QR) are so much connected (at least in Africa and Europe)? I reckon Penang will be picked first.

Penang seems has the right recipe for EK - strong business and leisure market from Europe and the Middle East. Besides, the airline can get a slice of electronics export volume too...Well, even a highly leisurely destination like Phuket is served by EK.

Normally, EK/QR will start secondary destination (e.g. HKT, DPS) with tag on before justifying for non-stop to DXB/DOH. Believe MH will object vigorously if PEN and BKI is tag on KUL even without 5th freedom right. Hence, EK/QR need to identify which city pair (e.g. SGN, HAN, HKT, SIN) could tag on PEN and BKI.

Edited by KK Lee

if the plane does materialize I wonder what plane will be used

My money is on the A330-200 /777-200

Edited by DaTan

Emirates To Launch Daily Service To Bali From June

Dubai-based Emirates Airline has announced the launch of a new daily service to the island of Bali in Indonesia. The non-stop service will begin from June 3 and will be operated by a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft in a two-class configuration, Emirates confirmed in a statement. Bali will be Emirates’ 148th global destination, and complements the airline’s route network in the Asia Pacific region, which currently includes 23 destinations in 13 countries. The popular Indonesian tourist destination welcomed more than 3.7 million foreign tourist arrivals in 2014.
I am hoping Penang to be added to the list by Gulf carriers pretty soon.

my goodness EK to Penang?

that would be a dream come

Just to be a bit cheeky... I have flown EK 77W and landed at PEN in 2010 due to heavy showers at KUL... (on EK409 originated from Melbourne).

If EK were to land their metals in PEN, MH would have been shocked to core even though the flight may not be via KUL. As is, you barely see jellyfishes at PEN. Red Cap dominates the domestic gates most of the time with FY and OD monopolising Gate B4. Compared to previous years where you only see jelly fishes at PEN and barely any other airlines. What a shame. It would be a total nightmare for Jelly Fish if EK plies KUL/PEN at the same pricing as MH... Would loyalty and nationalism prevails in this instance?

If EK were to land their metals in PEN, MH would have been shocked to core even though the flight may not be via KUL. As is, you barely see jellyfishes at PEN. Red Cap dominates the domestic gates most of the time with FY and OD monopolising Gate B4. Compared to previous years where you only see jelly fishes at PEN and barely any other airlines. What a shame. It would be a total nightmare for Jelly Fish if EK plies KUL/PEN at the same pricing as MH... Would loyalty and nationalism prevails in this instance?

Not sure if it's meant to be a joke, but I've never heard of MH being referred to as "jelly fish". And i don't find it particularly funny.

EK will not be allowed to sell tickets for KUL-PEN, like how CX was only allowed to pick up passengers in KL on their PEN-KUL-HKG runs.

Jelly fish is the term for MH, notoriously famous among aircraft spotters worldwide.

It originated from the misinterpretation of the wau logo at the tail, which looks like some sort of a fish. As for jelly, it could be the last fish eaten by the person who created the term hence 'jelly fish'.

The wau was misinterpreted as simply a jellyfish but swimming horizontally as opposed to its typical orientation.

You know how many airline logos are based on supposedly living objects...EY (old), SQ, UL, LH, NZ, QF, FY, GA, QR, IR, JL etc.

I thought it was only the 737-400 being referred to as Jellyfish. If Jellyfish is referred to MH, it makes more sense.

Another difficult one would be TG's logo, which supposedly based on a decorative mat on a Thai Eleplant's head, according to a Thai friend of mine. Anyway this is OT.

The question is what would EK use for BKI? A332, B772 or B77L?

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this