MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong

Use of GPS In The Cabin- Your Experience

on my flight from JHB to KCH couple months ago,with my phone in flight mode, i on my papago x5. I found that most of the time it is difficult to get the satelite signal even sitting on a window seat. is it because of the speed of the aircraft or the wall of the aircraft act as a barrier which the signal can not penetrate through?

on my flight from JHB to KCH couple months ago,with my phone in flight mode, i on my papago x5. I found that most of the time it is difficult to get the satelite signal even sitting on a window seat. is it because of the speed of the aircraft or the wall of the aircraft act as a barrier which the signal can not penetrate through?

I'd say it's because both of the speed it's traveling and the shielding effect make it hard to lock on to the satellites. My experience with Papago X5 is that it takes a while to lock on, and if you turn it on in a moving vehicle it is taking much longer to lock it on.

A dedicated GPS receiver such as Garmin would have no prob, such as this one from '08:

kulbtjak9219mahd110108.jpg

===

It is generally true that locking on a gps signal from a moving vehicles takes longer time but with the advancement of the GPS chip nowadays, who knows :pardon:

On the topic, I use a bluetooth gps receiver. Press the receiver towards the windows (use double side tape to hold it in place :rofl:). The gps signal will be lost a few times along the plane's route but switch off and on again, it will be available at much shorter time.

On a not so recent ATR72 FY flight, on a window seat right under the wing, the signal won't lock on at all. :sorry:

It is generally true that locking on a gps signal from a moving vehicles takes longer time but with the advancement of the GPS chip nowadays, who knows :pardon:

Dedicated GPS receiver always best. I first tracked a flight (KLM, CGK-KUL) in '98, with an ancient Magellan GPS. So more than 10yrs ago, the chip was already good. :)

Now retired playing around with GPS, but I still have a Holux BT lying around somewhere.

I think the plane structure act as the Faraday cage thus signal is affected. I notice the same thing happen on LRT/Kommuter.

Get a window seat with a good sensitive GPS and lock is fast and steady, no problem. Some LRT/Komuter cars have tint that would hinder GPS signals, similar to V-Kool used in cars.

One interesting track I did in '07, TWU-KUL.

twu-kul-ak5157-250307.gif

===

The GPS antennae on the iPhone or BT receiver are very small and you'll need good sky coverage to get the GPS signal lock on.

Like what Naim has mentioned you'll need a dedicated GPS receiver like the Garmin Etrex with a Sirf III chipset and you'll be able to get a lock on if you're near the window.

The US pilots were using COTS GPS receiver for Gulf war one.

HTH.

pardon me sifus.. no issue on switching on the GPS in-flight, with exception of take off and landing?

Interesting indeed to track the flight line.

pardon me sifus.. no issue on switching on the GPS in-flight, with exception of take off and landing?

Interesting indeed to track the flight line.

Check with airlines - some allow, some don't. I hear AirAsia now doesn't allow. But there's a trick to hide -- use those sensitive small Bluetooth receiver linked to laptop/tablet, if near window put in shirt pocket also can work. :)

while on the topic of gps....my wife won a way way gps recently n software was by papago

I swear on earth that i will never use this brand again

its useless...even on a flat road....satelite signal lost....lucky its free

while on the topic of gps....my wife won a way way gps recently n software was by papago

I swear on earth that i will never use this brand again

its useless...even on a flat road....satelite signal lost....lucky its free

I still trust Garmin.

I still trust Garmin.

Yes, some GPS are more equal than others. Lost my beloved Garmin eTrex Legend in '06 during a trip to Ireland, replaced by a Holux 236 Bluetooth, pretty good too -- small, can hide. :)

Check with airlines - some allow, some don't. I hear AirAsia now doesn't allow. But there's a trick to hide -- use those sensitive small Bluetooth receiver linked to laptop/tablet, if near window put in shirt pocket also can work. :)

I use my Blackberry. Trick is to get a signal and lock on before take off and I find it works well on an A320 but not an A330 or ATR72.

Sample GPS track can be found inmy TR here: http://www.maninseat12a.com/2011/01/kul-sin-commuters-story.html

Sign in to follow this