MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

MAS Restructuring Plan

Train ride and forest is nice for tourists but business travelers need speedy baggage delivery, quick boarding, etc. If time permit, travelers can always take the train to satellite for duty free shopping.

I mean for real, y biz traveller wants to get on/off plane as sson as possible except for short flight. They still has to go through hours of flight to get there and what they do 12 hours before and after the flight, I don't think thay will book a flight arrive one hour before meeting right? For domestic/shuttle flight flights-may be(still I never see one). My dad travel to europe and africa like every week, he prefer to be at aitport asap so he can relax at the lounge. Sometimes he book airport hotel eventhou the huse and airport one hour away :)

MAS has been introducing some unpopular policies quietely of late. I just discovered something, in my opinion, is 'unfriendly' to its customers who pay full fare tickets.

Previously, for Full Fare Economy Class (Y) and Business Class Domestic Sectors, if one cannot make the trip and wishes to cancel the ticket beyond 24 hours of the flight time, he is entitled to a full refund in cash.

As of 4th April, no cash refund will be given. Instead one will be given credit via an MCO / voucher for future flights. OK, fair enough. BUT, now there is also a RM100 cancellation administration fees that will be deducted from the fare paid before the MCO is issued.

So for example, for a RM 198 full fare one way economy class ticket from KL to Alor Setar, to cancel the flight, one will get only RM 98 'refund' through the MCO. MAS will pocket the RM 100. How's that for winning customers?

I discovered this last night through the MAS online reservation flight rules. I reconfirmed that with the callcentre.

I can understand such policies for heavily discounted tickets like the now discontinued Supersavers. To impose on full fare tickets is a bit ugly.

MH is currently having some Global Getaway Sale ex-Australia and its booking class is apparently sub-class V. I rang up MH's call centre and the staff mentioned that this sub-class would only give you 30% of the actual miles flown (Enrich). Anyone heard it yet ?

From Associated Press:

Report: Malaysia Airlines ordered to pay half-million dollars in overtime wages

Updated 05:36 p.m.

2006/4/14

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) - Malaysia's national airline was ordered to pay overtime of more than 2 million ringgit (US$540,000; €450,000) to 110 workers after failing to reduce working hours as required by an agreement, a newspaper and an official said Friday.

The Malay Mail said the Industrial Court found Malaysia Airlines responsible for not amending the working hours of staff at the Avionics and Mechanical Workshop under a 1995 agreement between the airline and workers.

A Malaysia Airlines spokesperson confirmed the substance of the report and said the airline is studying the ruling before deciding on the next course of action, such as an appeal.

The Mail quoted court chairman Yussof Ahmad as saying in a ruling Thursday that the company had acknowledged making a mistake, but "did not make arrangements for the staff to work only 39 hours per week" instead of the 42 hours prior to the agreement.

The court ordered a total payment of 2,013,853 ringgit (US$548,840; €453,812) to the 110 affected staff.

Malaysia Airlines, which is 69 percent government-owned, has been struggling to return to profitability after it suffered a 1.26 billion ringgit (US$340.5 million; €283 million) loss in the nine months through December.

As part of cost-cutting measures the airline gave up its near-monopoly on money-losing domestic routes, and plans to sell its headquarters and lay off 6,500 employees from its current 23,000.

To keep the carrier financially afloat, the government has been bearing an annual loss of about 300 million ringgit (US$81.3 million; €67.6 million), providing the airline an indirect subsidy.

A friend of mine took a flight from KUL to SYD with MAS few days a ago. When he checked in at KLIA, he was told that his luggage was 25+ kg and need to pay RM300+ fine. My friend told the groundstaff that before he has no problem with this range of weight and this was the first time he was fine for such a little excess baggage. The groundstaff told my friend MAS is losing RM300 million and they need to recover that ! Oh ! How can the groundstaff tell customer that they want to fine customer because of the company is losing money <_ this really give very bad impression to the customer src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif" alt=":angry:"> ! Indeed my friend did not mind if the staff told him this was because of the more strict regulation etc..

I just hope that with the turn around plan, MAS will not lose his loyal customers.... :(

I just hope that with the turn around plan, MAS will not lose his loyal customers.... :(

Now my friend is telling me he may think twice to fly with MAS as it may tell you one day : "we have to compromise with the safety because our company is losing money !"

Sign in to follow this