MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Pet peeves: How to drive a flight attendant crazy

Behind that svelte figure, perfectly fitted uniform and angelic smile is a person who has been working 8 hours straight on a turnaround flight in 2-inch heels or on a 18-hour non-stop flight without much proper rest in between.

So it is probably a not a good idea to be in the bad books of the person who serves you food, brings you drinks and keeps you safe when you are on a plane at 30,000 feet, according to a CNNGo report.

An anonymous flight attendant who reportedly works for a renown commercial airline in Asia compiled a list of nine things about passengers that drive her crazy. One minute, they are happy after a big win at the roulette table, and the next minute, they are upset about 12-hour-long flight delays.

The airline crew member said that the "worst of all crimes against aviation are so common sense - yet they happen on every single flight."

1. Adopt an 'I paid for my ticket so I can whine all I like' attitude

"My seat is too cramp."

"The flight is delayed - again."

"The coffee is lukewarm."

"The cabin is too cold."

"The seats are so uncomfortable."

Seat too small? Next time upgrade to first class.

Plane delayed? Blame it on your fellow passenger who just couldn't decided which bottle of whiskey to buy, so he was 30 minutes late in getting to the gate.

Keep complaining and be careful that your next drink will be a gin and tonic stirred with a high heel.

2. Play it like Nintendo

Pressing the flight attendant call button a gazillion times will not zap your problem away.

CNNGo reported that one flight attendant is responsible for up to 50 passengers, according to international regulations. That means, worst-case scenario, the cabin crew could be giving someone CPR or delivering a baby while you keep jamming that button.

Why not do this instead? Get up and walk to the nearest galley and ask for what you need. Taking a walk around the cabin can apparently also help improve blood circulation.

3. Pretend you're in a restaurant

The options on the menu are lemon chicken or roast beef but you ask for fish.

Do take note that the plane is not a kitchen and does not have one. Flight attendants cannot whip up at dish at your whims and fancies.

But here's how to get your fish: send the request when your book your flight if you wish to have a specific meal.

4. Ask unintelligent questions

When faced with a glass full of dark liquid with fizzy bubbles and ice, what is it? That's right, it's a cola. How about that clear liquid? Yes, that's water.

Imagine the whole row asking mundane questions and repeating them even though the neighbouring passenger had just asked the same question. After 50-plus passengers have done the same thing, don't blame the cabin crew for ignoring you.

5. Laugh and whisper

Talking behind someone's back is rude. But when a passenger laughs at a flight attendant in his/her face and then begins to whisper/giggle to the person beside in their own language, that's even ruder, reported CNNGo.

6. Talk on the phone after the plane has left the gate

Not turning your phone off is a sure way to make the cabin crew go berserk.

The fact is: communicating with the control tower is difficult enough. Pilots are trying to take off carefully and not get struck by another plane that might be landing seconds later, all while your phone's signal is potentially interfering with communications.

7. Be an irresponsible parent

Do not ask the flight attendant to put coffee creamer in your baby's bottle - there's always formula milk that can be carried on the plane.

Do not get flight attendants to babysit the kids while you do something else, like nap or watch a movie.

That is not their job description, says the anonymous flight attendant. "Babysitting you is already hard enough," she said.

8. Complain that your bags are too heavy

You came all the way from home, dragged your bags down the stairs to the door, put them in the trunk of the car, drove all the way to the airport, dragged them through security and all the way to your seat.

Suddenly, the bags are too heavy for you to put into the overhead compartment by yourself.

"The deal is: you brought it, shove up there yourself or we throw it out the door and under the plane," said the anonymous flight attendant.

According to CNNGo, passengers need also realise that flight attendants don't get compensated for any injuries that come of common situations like this.

9. Ignore the seat belt sign

The instructions are clear: when the seat belt sign is on, please be seated and fasten your seat belt.

But apparently, that isn't obvious enough for some passengers who would blatantly get up and go to the washroom or go talk to their friends. This is typical passenger behaviour on every single flight, reported CNNGo.

When the sign is on during takeoff, landing or during turbulence, it's very dangerous to be wandering off, said the same report. You don't want your face could be smashed into the sink or another passenger's head, now, do you?

http://relax.com.sg/relax/features/755040/9_ways_to_drive_a_flight_attendant_crazy.html

Had a chat with an Air France flight attendant the other day and she mentioned she doesn't like doing one particular route because of its demanding pax especially in Economy. The good thing about French is they are very honest and don't sugar coat everything. When we asked about good airlines serving Paris, she said she likes CX and SQ, without even mentioning AF (and she's in AF uniform!).

Had a chat with an Air France flight attendant the other day and she mentioned she doesn't like doing one particular route because of its demanding pax especially in Economy. The good thing about French is they are very honest and don't sugar coat everything. When we asked about good airlines serving Paris, she said she likes CX and SQ, without even mentioning AF (and she's in AF uniform!).

Which route is that? To somewhere in China or India?

Which route is that? To somewhere in China or India?

The second one. Although I don't like her generalisation of particular community, she must have a really bad flight in this sector.

The second one. Although I don't like her generalisation of particular community, she must have a really bad flight in this sector.

Well I've heard about the same thing from QR and our own...

Anyway, I'd always tried to enjoy my flight as much as possible but just staring into the blue sky with a cup of tomato juice. Really nothing too fussy for me, but I really get annoyed with passengers who can't control their kids, passengers who carried huge luggage or multiple piece luggage, and passengers who talk on the phone while inside the aircraft. When people are on the phone they get distracted, and others are waiting inline to disembark!

The world's passenger on EVA Air's no-fly list not because of security reasons, but for being an "unreasonable customer":

1st incident - During TPE-HKG flight, demanded meal service for 10 times and rejected the meal selection each time. And on 1 occasion, used apple juice to gargle mouth and spitted it back to meal tray. This caused the chief stewardess to loose temper and screamed "I quit" in front of other passengers.

2nd incident - Sneaked into galley before a/c reached cruising altitude - and started opening trolley to look for food and drinks.

Now - EVA Air refused to issue boarding pass even though he completed online transaction for HKG-TPE-HKG, and left him stranded in HKG.

http://tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/article/art_id/33661015/IssueID/20110911

Every flight attendant I've met hates flying to India because of the kind of entitled passengers on those routes and they are almost always in economy. Those particular passengers want the cheapest of cheap fares but expect to be in First class... Er...I DON'T THINK SO! I always see those passengers trying to avoid paying fees for very overweight luggage. You're allowed 20kg and check-in may allow you a couple of kilos over but 35kg?! Pay up, sweeties! <_>

And don't even get me started on the mainland Chinese passengers... I was with my grandmother on a trip to Beijing one time, and she needed a wheelchair. MH had one ordered on arrival. While they went to collect my grandmother, a passenger was seen taking the wheelchair and using it to carry their hand luggage! :angry:

Edited by Josh T

Have you ever wondered why the moment the seat-belt sign is off, everyone just unclasp their buckles to either get up to the WC or wanted to take something from the bags.

Its clockwork like every time.

Why can't passengers unload what's needed before embarking on the plane, or take what's needed before the flight take place?

Another annoying habit is some kid or long legged passenger kicking and shoving your seats from behind. On one occasion, I had to call the FA to tell the man behind to shove his legs side ways. He however got an emergency door seat..lucky bast#@d.!

Waiting to get off the plane is also a torture, especially when the aircraft's AC is nearing its retirement age.

Hot and stuffy and with all the folks already standing and hovering next to you, that you can barely breath easy with all those bags and body "bags" shoved so close to you...bah..

I was on a flight to AMS, when two Dutch kids from the other side of the aisle started screaming in the middle of the night. Thank God, it was on (the noisy)747, the screaming wasn't that bad on my side, but would be extremely annoyed if I sat in front of them.

Also was annoyed when a pax asked a FA to get something from an overhead compartment a moment before takeoff.

Edited by Johan Z

On a trip to and fro Beijing, China, my colleague and I were booked onto an Air China 757-200. We choose seats with ample leg rooms, but unfortunately its just behind the lavatory. We thought it would not be that bad. But it was !

For some un-forsaken reasons, the lavatory was not performing properly. It was one heck of a hell flight for the both of us.

We have to on numerous times asked the FA to freshen up the loo and it lasted just enough for you to have some "clean " air to breath on. FA with nose swipe with chinese-minyak kapak diligently cleaned up the cubicle with blue looking liquid and rubber gloves. No sooner, passengers already queuing up to use it. Darn....!

And the worse is passengers likes to blardy drink until their bladders bloat. As if there's no tomorrow anymore. Needless to say, eu-de-toilet flow out generously out of the loo into the cabin.. More complain comes...goody. Now the FA will not be annoyed at us anymore, she's annoyed with every one else in this section of the cabin.. we totally soiled it mah...

But each time the FA passed by us, we gave her a smiled and thanked her for her courageous work..

I just hate to see other passengers bringing humongous carry ons onboard that barely fit in the overhead bins, and slowing down boarding in the process of shoving their gigantic bags into the bins. I swear those bags exceed the regulation size for carry ons as mine is exactly the max permitted size and most of theirs are bigger.

This may be trivial but I loath also those who don't follow boarding sequence and cause a huge bottleneck on the plane.

Every flight attendant I've met hates flying to India because of the kind of entitled passengers on those routes and they are almost always in economy. Those particular passengers want the cheapest of cheap fares but expect to be in First class... Er...I DON'T THINK SO! I always see those passengers trying to avoid paying fees for very overweight luggage. You're allowed 20kg and check-in may allow you a couple of kilos over but 35kg?! Pay up, sweeties! <_>

And don't even get me started on the mainland Chinese passengers... I was with my grandmother on a trip to Beijing one time, and she needed a wheelchair. MH had one ordered on arrival. While they went to collect my grandmother, a passenger was seen taking the wheelchair and using it to carry their hand luggage! :angry:

I WANT WARM WATER, ROOM TEMPERATURE......

Hate it when people take my seats... Can't they just follow the seat allocations???

One of my biggest pet peeves when flying. usually happen in my AK flights though <_>

My experience so far is on AK, when I have book the flight to Macau. Once I step in to the aircraft the whole plane was stuff with mainland people going back home, and the best part was that the seat that I have book was occupied by one of the mainlanders. When I inform him about that he got the balls to show me his ticket and say he is at the right sitting. It took me some time to explain to him and eventually he finally buldge but to another seat that he sees is not occupied.

Hate it when people take my seats... Can't they just follow the seat allocations???

There are a few occasions when I sat on the wrong seats, usually 56 vs 59 or on the wrong side of the (narrowbody) plane!

Dunno how the FA's feel about it, but I feel sorry to see them having to repeat the same monotonous "hello sir/madam, today we have a choice of .........." at commencement of feeding time, row after row after row ..... :)

No such issues when travelling the LCC way though :lol:

Well that's all part of the job. It gets easier if he/she meant what they say rather than forced to say. It's just about the same like greeting our seniors day in day out.

What really courageous about the job is having to clean up the lavatory, or someone's puke...

Sign in to follow this