MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Md Amer

Do you feel safe with MAS' B734?

If you don't feel safe, don't fly. Simple!

If you think newer planes are safer, go for it. Simple!

We have options now, if you don't like the white blue red, go for the white red, or even orange white. Simple!

If you don't feel safe, don't fly. Simple!

If you think newer planes are safer, go for it. Simple!

We have options now, if you don't like the white blue red, go for the white red, or even orange white. Simple!

i want the frills but i dont feel safe flying in an aircraft with broken tray tables/arm rest/creaking sounds here and there...so how? They have to expedite the fleet renewal.

Safety of the aircraft is the responsibility of the airlines.

When the passengers have in majority felt that a certain airline operators have shabby maintenance or the aircraft is evidently in tattered condition, the concerns should be raised with the governing body. Measures could then be taken to correct the problem by increasing maintenance, or by totally eliminate the problem by grounding the plane or the airline.

With such measures assured and available, then only will there be no question of fear or distrust towards the airline.

Pilots and crews too have a role to play and should not be pressured by Management to skimp on maintenance.

An old aircraft does not mean its not air-worthy, but then if the instruments are occasionally faulty, it should not be taken as a norm that comes with being an old aircraft, thus it is negligible.

For passengers, I think the no.1 complain about an old plane is on the seats and followed by poor air conditioning.

The seats looks nice in exterior but when sit on, its like siting on your school bench. There's neither an inch of foam to cushion your butt and this is made worse with poor air conditioning.

not safe as encountered numerous scary landings and once even skidded off runway in Johor Bahru

Plane old or not will still skid and have scary landings.....also old a/c can have very nice cabins seats trays etc if the company wants to refurbish them, thus again cabin interior has nothing to do with new or old a/c. The only problem I see with old a/c is maybe higher fuel consumption.....cheers

Edited by Aaron Goh

each aircraft are built together with its own maintenance programe...all operators are responsible to comply with it to ensure it is safe to fly even it is almost 20 years old...and MAS is complying to it also for all of its fleet

Plane old or not will still skid and have scary landings.....also old a/c can have very nice cabins seats trays etc if the company wants to refurbish them, thus again cabin interior has nothing to do with new or old a/c. The only problem I see with old a/c is maybe higher fuel consumption.....cheers

and another incident after that involving 737 tyre blown up in KLIA...one remote incident can be called a COincidence..but if few incidences within short period of time would raise concern especially frequent flyers.........in anyway the question is personal so my answer is personal and doesnt reflect others opinion......

Its interesting and good too see different facts and opinions. Now had you been a passenger on the QF A380 which had an explosion in the engine, would you say the A380 is unsafe?

This is probably the most accurate statement so far when it comes to the maintenance. At the end of the day, it all boils down to the company and their policies. As far as an engineer is concerned, his work is to ensure that the aircraft is airworthy. Sometimes there are defects (such as the air conditioning being a little too hot on ground and many others) and these defects have already been identified. They are most of the time deferrable (depending on the defect) and to be rectified within a time period as recommended by the manufacturer and it all boils down to the company's policies in getting the a/c out of the scheduled flight, having the necessary down time for rectification, spares readily available and many other factors. There have been other known incidents where people kept doubting if maintenance was actually performed or not e.g. no airconditioning on ground, toilet being unserviceable, etc. These doesn't mean that the aircraft is going to crash if it is not rectified, just how much importance is placed by the particular airline in getting these fixed if they have a time period to be rectified. 2 cents from a maintenance guy's POV. :drinks:

yes most of the critical parts are unseen by the pax - as for non functioning cabin interiors these are very minor things. Even if the aircraft's APU is not serviceable, the plane can still be flyable for the next couple of days. It depends on a few factors as to having spare capacity, maintenance capacity to fix any aircraft that have some unserviceable but otherwise still flyable. These are covered in the MEL list n procedures.

Its interesting and good too see different facts and opinions. Now had you been a passenger on the QF A380 which had an explosion in the engine, would you say the A380 is unsafe?

being on newly introduced type of plane will make some feel insecure as well as there'll be no proven safety record of this type until it's put into actual service for sometimes.

Remember the DC-10 with problem and crashes in its earlier days due to its design flaws.

Is it safe to fly in MAS aging B734s?. Or is it safe to fly with Air Asia's brand new A320s but inexperience pilots?

All pilots were inexperienced once at some point in their lives, so :pardon:

All pilots were inexperienced once at some point in their lives, so :pardon:

MAS 734s commanders had logged enough hours on 734s as first officers and then as first officers on wide body aircrafts before being promoted as commanders. So their experience level is high. I believe Radzi will agree with me

Is it only when there is a vacancy then only MH pilot can move from narrow to widebody?

MAS 734s commanders had logged enough hours on 734s as first officers and then as first officers on wide body aircrafts before being promoted as commanders. So their experience level is high. I believe Radzi will agree with me

I don't think you get my point here hence the defensive tone of yours, I was saying in the course of their career, each and every pilot must have had less experience when they started out than they do after years on the job. You can't avoid being a rookie when you first start learning something can you?

:drinks:

Edited by Rob

Last night a nice new 738 aborted its take of run at SIN due to a tech fault which then resulted in a 6.5 hour delay. The effect was felt today as well because MH602 was also cancelled. Despite MAS handling the situation badly I still feel safe with them and I'm thankful the pilot aborted rather than tried to take off.

I'm still curiours what the issue was?

Edited by Robert

Is it safe to fly in MAS aging B734s?. Or is it safe to fly with Air Asia's brand new A320s but inexperience pilots?

Wow, that sure is quite a fire starter ...

I've seen quite a bit on both sides of the fence, and I wouldn't say one is better than the other or vice versa :)