MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Md Amer

Do you feel safe with MAS' B734?

As you know..MH operated B737-400 since 1993(?)...this A/C is getting ageing and old..the question is..do you feel safe when board on B734?

From the time we step in to the aircraft, your life is in the hands of the cockpit crews. There's nothing much you can do. So instead of worrying, might as well enjoyed the flight as much as you can. Win-win.. crashed, you died a happy man, landed safely, you have by then enjoyed the trip...hahhaha...

Seriously, I trust MAS's maintenance record. Got a couple of ground crew friends, and every time I meet them, and see their stressed face, it means that they are working..hahahahaa... So no worries..

The 734 are not too old to be considered unsafe I believe...

By the way, every maintenance has its share of incidents... MH maintenance crew friends I don't have, but I have heard a fair amount of stories passengers don't want to hear from an SIA Engineering friend of mine... Both airlines still maintain pretty good record anyway... :-)

The 734 are not too old to be considered unsafe I believe...

By the way, every maintenance has its share of incidents... MH maintenance crew friends I don't have, but I have heard a fair amount of stories passengers don't want to hear from an SIA Engineering friend of mine... Both airlines still maintain pretty good record anyway... :-)

I don't think there is something like an unsafe aircraft per se. There is just bad maintenance and bad crew... But an aircraft that has survived already 1000ends of flights can't be that bad if it is properlay maintained... and if I do proper maintenence, their duty life can be extended tremendously.

Until recently, in the US still DC9-10, which had more than 45 years of active life on their wings, were used in regular service.... MAS737 is very young, almost a kid, compared to that... And I would consider MAS maintenence as one of the good ones ;) So I feel safe...

Edited by Georg Burdicek

The one thing that MAS can still be pround of is its safety record :)

By the way, the oldest NWA D9S was a little over 40 years old when it was finally retired and NWA was a very safe airline in the modern history.

no choice.. haha... i have to believe in mas engineering on their work and maintenance... the rest let the pilot handle it... how do you feel about its safety?

for now..yes safe but seriously MH must replace with B738 faster..

The safety record should be based on the airline & not the aircraft. AK has it's fair share of minor incident and I don't see anyone blaming the newer A320 aircraft.

Honestly, you can't just judge the aircraft safety by plane types or ages...For me, if the cabin starts to have "old cabin smell" and the air conditioning system had been going "not cooling" at all, it mean that the plane should be retired soon...my last B737-400 flight log (September 2010) has some announcement from the cockpit crew which sounds more or less like this: "Ladies and gentlemen, we know that the cabin is feeling a little bit warmer than usual; but please bear with us for the time being when we are on the ground, once we reached cruising altitude, the cabin temperature shall go down." At that time I told myself: "This is really something new, you know that the air cons are not that functional, why don't you try your best to at least make them more workable? Thank god that this is only an hour flight for MYY-KCH"...:S...and mind you, my flight log with 737-400 is simply less than 10 in 24 years (am 24 now)...

I have flown on this plane at too many times and i must say, apart from the air conditioning, i love this plane. Sure its old, but i have never encounter any serious problem with the plane (hopefully never will). So for me, i have never felt being unsafe at any moment in this plane. :)

You should be more worried flying with any Indonesian carrier ...... might be a new aeroplane but the mindset among operators are still dated since ice aged.

:hi:

I think the question and this topic is misguiding/misleading. There is nothing wrong with an aircraft that is old, it comes down to how an aircraft is maintained and who are doing the maintenance on this particular aircraft. As a passenger yes you can say its unsafe its old, but heck hold a second there. Put yourself in the shoes of a pilot or cabin crew for a second there and think about the amount of sectors they fly in a day be it 2, 4 or 6 sectors and the fact that some of them have families and kids and the most important thing to them your lives(passengers on board). Heck if the 737-400 wasn't safe, are all those people who work on them blind and stupid? I don't think so man. Might want to be a tad bit specific with your question there. :drinks:

Edited by Raj

Makes little difference whether it's aboard something fresh from the manufacturer's hangar or some old workhorse that has been in revenue service even before you were born. Doesn't matter whether you're up there in the sky, on terra firma or down below somewhere either

When it's time to go, go :D

Edited by BC Tam

Honestly, you can't just judge the aircraft safety by plane types or ages...For me, if the cabin starts to have "old cabin smell" and the air conditioning system had been going "not cooling" at all, it mean that the plane should be retired soon...my last B737-400 flight log (September 2010) has some announcement from the cockpit crew which sounds more or less like this: "Ladies and gentlemen, we know that the cabin is feeling a little bit warmer than usual; but please bear with us for the time being when we are on the ground, once we reached cruising altitude, the cabin temperature shall go down." At that time I told myself: "This is really something new, you know that the air cons are not that functional, why don't you try your best to at least make them more workable? Thank god that this is only an hour flight for MYY-KCH"...:S...and mind you, my flight log with 737-400 is simply less than 10 in 24 years (am 24 now)...

man.. you are so lucky dude.. during on my flight with 734 kch-kul, there are the major problem with the air conditioning.. :finger: to make it worst, during the cruising altitude the air conditioning seems to have a failure... i'm baked and sweating like hell...hahaha.. unprofessionally done non of the crew tell us what happen... sweet memory??

"Ladies and gentlemen, we know that the cabin is feeling a little bit warmer than usual; but please bear with us for the time being when we are on the ground, once we reached cruising altitude, the cabin temperature shall go down."

I got that on my recent trip with CX on 747. So, it must be a general excuse for airlines.

I don't mind MH 734 at all, because I've been on newer A320 and felt worse than MH 734. Surely 734 will be missed when the new 738 takes over.

I got that on my recent trip with CX on 747. So, it must be a general excuse for airlines.

I don't mind MH 734 at all, because I've been on newer A320 and felt worse than MH 734. Surely 734 will be missed when the new 738 takes over.

miss the spacious seat n also the generous space of the legroom... haha..

Somehow whenever I step aboard the 734 the word 'decompression' springs to mind. I kept thinking what if the maintenance crews fail to detect a hairline crack on the most inaccesible nook on the airframe? and the hissing sounds at altitude doesn't help at all :(. So in the end I try to avoid flying MH 734 as much as I can. Maybe I'm a little paranoid after all.

This weekend I'll be flying on one of the oldest KLM 737's to OSL (only 2 remaining -300 series left), and return on KLC's newest E190: should I change my flights because of this old 737 ? Definitely not !!! Although more than 20 years old, I still feel very safe and trusted on this workhorse...it's a unique opportunity, still to be able to fly this bird before it will be withdrawn before 31oct11 ;)

my last B737-400 flight log (September 2010) has some announcement from the cockpit crew which sounds more or less like this: "Ladies and gentlemen, we know that the cabin is feeling a little bit warmer than usual; but please bear with us for the time being when we are on the ground, once we reached cruising altitude, the cabin temperature shall go down."

Was on a SQ A380 flight last week. Cabin tempreture on ground was very stuffy. The cabin crew too announce something similar.

I think that when the aircraft is on the ground, it is connected to ground support equipment. Sometimes this equipment is not available or is not working properly. Although the aircraft can use the onboard APU, many airlines are not doing so as it means burning more fuel - a very expensive commodity these days.

As you know..MH operated B737-400 since 1993(?)...this A/C is getting ageing and old..the question is..do you feel safe when board on B734?

Most of the time, old aircraft means (for the pax) that some parts are not working due to wear and tear. Things like the seat recline buttons may be broken thereby making the seat unmoveable. These are inconveniences that the pax will have to tolerate when boarding old aircraft.

The B737, being an old aircraft design, has some advantages as some airframes (e.g. B732) are very old now. As such any problems with the old airframes can trigger an alert for newer aircraft like the B734 or B738 if the components involved are similar.

I think safety really depends on how thorough the maintenance procedures are for each airline. However the risk of a disaster is marginally higher with older aircraft as some items on the aircraft may not manifest itself until it is very old. There is always a first time for everything.

it shou;d be fairly safe to fly on MH's old 734s which are abt average age of 17 years old. But being associated with a older plane, there's the usualmore than normal unscheduled maintenance issues like hydraulic leaks or some minor problems can occur with more frequency- but otherwise shd be safe once the pilots check out the plane n fly it.