MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
iwan

Langkawi LIMA 2011

Hello everyone!been some time since I last posted here.

I know its still kinda early to post about LIMA this year but I was at the LGK airport earlier and since I had plenty of time waiting at the airport, Thought of preparing some ‘mini-guides’ for this years LIMA. (plus I got a little bit excited looking at all the LIMA posters :p)

Well a quick summary of LIMA this year.

Date : 6th – 10th December (Only open to public on the final day)

Venue : MIEC (Mahsuri international Exhibition Centre), Langkawi

Official website

SPOTTING GUIDE

For the past few LIMAs, ive found some good spots for taking nice photos during the airshow.however Im writing this based on my limited knowledge on photo taking so feel free to correct me where im wrong or give more suggestions wherever possible for an unforgettable LIMA experience especially for those who are visiting for the first time.

Do take note that although the displays are only open to public on the final day, the airshow will be taking place throughout LIMA. This actually means that you can spend lots of time taking photos from various locations outside the airport. (always ending up two tones darker at the end of the day)

The airshows are normally held once or twice a day. One in the morning around 11am and if there is a 2nd session, will be in the afternoon around 2-3pm. (LIMA Programme) The best time to take photos in my opinion would be in the morning. I normally go at least for two days so I now the routine of the airshow making sure im more ready to take good pictures the next time I go. (during the Thunderbirds world tour in SZB, I actually wrote down their show sequence on a piece of paper so I know when the surprises will come :p) – do I sound like a psycho already?

SPOT 1

Here’s an aerial view of the airport area. For me, one of the best places to get nice photos is the area circled in red which is just outside the runway perimeter fence. You can enter this area from the roundabout just before the airport, instead of taking the 12 o clock exit to go to the airport, turn left at the roundabout (along the yellow line). You can go as deep into the 'kampung' as u want but parking would normally be a problem. (ive never driven there though,previously took a cab and walked in from the roundabout)

picture1-1.png

From there, you can get nice close up photos of the planes taking off

RO034902-2.jpgRO034889-2.jpg

and since the airshows are normally on the opposite side of the main MIEC building for safety reasons, the planes will actually be flying just above your head,in front of you, Promising you plenty of ‘heart-stopping’ moments! Personally, what I remembered most was the F-111 AAdvark doing its flaming fuel dumping thing and I could actually feel the heat from the flames! The Su-30 MkM and the hornets also flew low over that area and I swore I could see the pilots picking their noses!

However, due to my limited photo taking skills, I feel that this spot is best only for the morning session where the sun is right behind you giving very sharp and clear pictures. (and if ure not careful, a sunburn that could stop u from smiling for days)

RO035040-1.jpgRO035119-2.jpg

This spot might also offer some surprises like the one I got during LIMA 2007 where the troops actually ran up to that area in an airbase attack simulation. Quite interesting.

P1010161.jpgP1010169.jpg

SPOT 2

Next will be the hill behind the spot I highlighted earlier.circled in Dark Blue. From this spot, you won’t be able to get close up pictures of the plane taking off but you can get some pretty decent shots of the planes since it is on a hill and u get ‘closer’, eye level pictures if you don’t have those long zoom lenses.

You cant get to this place from the first spot, u need to drive/walk up the hill along the highway. (dont suggest walking,u could break a leg)

picture2.png

DSCN4212.jpg

view from the top of the hill

Also more suitable in the morning since the sun is behind you.

RO035016-2.jpgRO035073-2.jpg

RO035239.jpgRO035315.jpg

Somehow my afternoon session pictures never turn out nice, always dark and ugly. Hope some sifus can help me with that? :)

On the public day itself, honestly I don’t think you can get nice pictures from inside the exhibition area as the sun is on the opposite side giving you ‘shadowy’ pictures like below. Any solutions for this?

RO055612.jpgRO055803.jpg

So I feel the best thing to do is to just enjoy the airshow during the public exhibition day and leave the photo taking for the previous days or on the many interesting static displays. Since personally, I feel like I can never fully enjoy an airshow when I have a camera in my hands. :p

im planning to go a day or two before the public display, since i dont think there will be a chance for me to get a trade visitor pass *wink* :lol: so hope to see you guys there if any of you are going.

Alright, that’s all for now.hope this helps. Will add more things later when I have the time. Feel free to include any suggestions here! :)

Edited by iwan

To all MWingers visiting LIMA 2011, have a good and safe trip! Hope the light is turned ON! :)

Look forward to your reports. :)

just for info, exhibition are open to public on 9 - 10/12..

aerial display schedule :

1000-1130 (1st set)

1430-1600 (2nd set)

for both day.. happy hunting guys..

Anyone there for the first day? How's the weather there?

Wondering does it make sense to go on Sunday to shoot the aircraft leaving or not. :huh:

Wondering does it make sense to go on Sunday to shoot the aircraft leaving or not. :huh:

I went for the departures on the Sunday morning in 2009.............arrived at 0800.........a C-130 landed at 0810 and the first departures (unless some had departed before I got there, although I think I would have heard them at the hotel) started with the RF-5E at 0815 and most had departed by 1100, except the Singapore contingent that left the following day (guess they don't open their airbases on a Sunday.

I will be there again on Sunday morning to catch the early birds.

Hope to see a few MWingers around the fenceline.

Regards

Kip

Anyone there for the first day? How's the weather there?

I attended the official opening ceremony yesterday. Partly cloudy during the day but sometimes it drizzles at some parts around the airport :)

Smokey Bandits starting up..

1_wmkl.jpg

Formation take off led my Smokey 1 - Lt Col Ghost.

2_wmkl.jpg

3-1.jpg

banditsmw.jpg

Edited by MIR

MIR-san

thanks for the photos... and i'm in love with the new special tail-art on that MIG-29N... hopefully some will come out with a decal for it...

and another impressive photo of the flying MIG-29NUB (2-seater) its been a while since i last saw a photo of the TUDM MIG-29 2-seater...

Hopefully i'll be there on the 10th... anymore photos?

jun/kuman

MIR, good catch and TUDM certainly added some colors for LIMA 2011. :o

Nice special tail for the MiG ! :good:

More photos please for those going for LIMA 2011. ;)

wowww!!!nice pics there!!now that MiG special tail is definitely a surprise!just arrived in langkawi an hour ago..looking forward to 'shooting planes' tomorrow! :)

Thanks guys !! :drinks: :drinks:

Up on the hill, MIR?

Yerp, I was on the hill and later moved near to the piano keys at Runway 21 last Monday :)

Closeup of the Smokey 1's tail..

m4303_wmkl_061211s.jpg

Royal Australian Air Force KC-30A (A39-003), the huge cloud of smoke at the back is from the pyro after the Super Hornet simulated bomb run.

mrtt_wmkl-1.jpg

US Navy Super Hornet waiting for take off clearance. If you would like to take head on shots like this, theres a small mound next to piano keys at runway 21

4-1.jpg

Afterburner takeoff...If you're lucky, you can get the Super Hornet departing early in the morning. Last Saturday I saw it took off at 0945 and yesterday (day two)it took off around 0930.

135navymw.jpg

Excellent pictures, MIR !!! :good: :drinks:

Love your MIG29 shots, esp. :pardon:

Thank you, Pieter :)

Here's a few more MiG-29 photos..

Maj Digi taxiing Smokey 4

5-1.jpg

7.jpg

USAF C-17, based at Hickham AFB, Hawaii.

6.jpg

C-17 demonstrates its ability to gostan under its own power

8.jpg

The French sends two Rafale fighter jets to LIMA 11. The jets were deployed on missions over Libya recently.

9-.jpg

RUAG Aviation Do 228 New Generation

10.jpg

USAF, Beechcraft C-12C Huron (73-1214)

12.jpg

Republic of Singapore Navy, S-70B Seahawk

14.jpg

Royal Thai Air Force, SAAB JAS 39D Gripen

13.jpg

US Navy Super Hornet

11.jpg