MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Irni Mastura

Crosswind incidents at KUL

Just curious, have we had any flight incidents due to strong crosswind before at KUL?

Reason I asked was that earlier tonight around 12:30am while driving back from work from Cyberjaya to Nilai, I had my own share of crosswind moments, and it was quite concerning since I was driving at that stretch of road the past 3 years and this was my first time experiencing it. The force of wind was really stronger than usual, and after a few 'nudge' sideways while driving close to Kota Warisan, it made me wished that no flights were scheduled to land at that time (ok.. I was somewhat dramatically thought of

). Anyone knows which runway is in use currently? Edited by Irni Mastura

Currently, 14L for landing and 14R for take-off

Thanks Li Ren :)

Freak storms and sudden gust of wind is quite common in Malaysia. Just this Monday, I woke up in the middle of the night to the howling of wind. My neighbors' roof which have a little loose acrylic slap was flapping about furiously in the wind. The gust of winds continues for about 5-6 minutes, only to cease and followed by a light shower. And then all was quite calm afterwards.

We have also read in the news about some pasar malam and food bazaars tents being blown off in a freak storm. It is not the wind that is scary. It's the subsequent events that follows the wind, like flying debris or falling trees.

I do hope that there's no incidence of high cross winds in our country's airports.

You mean, freak storms and sudden gust of wind are getting more and more common in Malaysia, Cire? If yes, then yeah.. I agree. I think its not just here but other countries as well (I mean sudden, not the usual local weather report). Global climate is ever changing, more than subtly these days. Perhaps I was too perturbed and got paranoia chipped on my shoulder that night since it was past midnight, the area I was passing was mostly low ground and have palm oil trees left and right to block the cross wind, plus it's almost perpendicular to the flight path of landing aircraft towards 14L. Even all the flags (it was just after Merdeka Day) attached to the lamp posts towards Nilai all looked as if they're going to be torn apart at the middle from being too pressed against the pole showed how strong the wind was. If it happened at that stretch of road at Maju Expressway (MEX) with those orange cross wind indicators area then I might not even be as concerned! :p Thinking about it, I doubt we ever have any crosswind incidents (cross fingers not in future either). Should have not disregard our ATCs et al's competency in managing these air traffic flow, and if not, seasoned pilots at hand.

Cheers all :)

my dad and i drove at the LPT last week... hari raya journey... haha... my first crosswind moment... the wind came from the right hand side and force my dad to steer the car harder... sometimes i felt like in an aircraft.. haha.. for me kuching airport has the strong crosswind upon landing.. frequently went there.. just to share.. (only face the many crosswind incident in my fsx simulator.. lols :rofl: )

Well this isn't about crosswind so a little offtopic here but still at KUL.

Many months ago I was on a red eye into KLIA on an MH 734, monsoon season and stormy all the way. The flight took the arrival that takes you over Port Dickson. We just about passed Port Dickson when the plane was hit by a sudden downdraft that almost lifted me off my seat. From then on it was very bumpy all the way down and the fact that I was seated in row 26 didn't help. So I just clenched the bottom of my seat and hung on till touchdown :lol:

Sign in to follow this