MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Boeing 737 MAX

All these planemakers are stretching the fuselage of their next gen planes but never widening the width of it. Such long stretched narrowbody plane will have penalty in performance and passenger comfort.

Widening the width takes more engineering to finetune the aerodynamics. Costs more too.

All these planemakers are stretching the fuselage of their next gen planes but never widening the width of it. Such long stretched narrowbody plane will have penalty in performance and passenger comfort.

Widening the fuselage width is no difference from building a new aircraft type.

If the cross section is different, the certification will be for a new aircraft type. That is why manufacturer's only do stretches as these are treated as a derivative type.

Yeap much better to get new widebody types. Would prefer if more common cabins like 767/788 would do regional but nowadays stretch narrowbodies could easily take over that mission. No airline nor plane manufacturer would want new widebody because of cost and todays passengers travel pattern have become more frequency oriented than way then. Hence less preferences for new widebody. Pretty sad for old time travelers.

In a nutshell, operators want a new platform such as what is being discussed in a potential 797 type, rather than continuous flogging of the 737 design.. An all new type will meet the tech and operational demands of many carriers both in and outside of the LCC market. The 757 was truly a unique type, that saw its potential realized very late in its lifespan... Capitalizing on lessons from 777x, 787 programs, Boeing could really land itself a game changing aircraft, and potentially an A330neo killer - and whilst some would say you can't compare apples with oranges, one must also realize the shifting demand and comptitiveness amongst the airlines of the world. Smaller and more efficient medium-long range aircraft represent a large slice of the economic pie moving forward IMO.

...or provide more frequencies at a more cost-and-capacity effective manner.

Boeing's Second 737 MAX Variant Begins Flight Test

SEATTLE—The first 737-9, the second member of Boeing’s 737 MAX family, made its first flight from the company’s Renton, Washington, facility on April 13, marking the start of a planned nine-month flight test and certification campaign.
The flight, which occurred just four days after the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the prototype 737-100 in 1967, was achieved five days ahead of the schedule set when the program was launched in 2011 and marks another key milestone for the MAX program, which will see the 737-8, the first family member, enter service next month.
The 737-9, crewed by 737 Boeing Test and Evaluation engineering test pilot Christine Walsh and chief model test pilot Edward “Ed” Wilson, took off at 10:52 a.m., before heading northwest over the Puget Sound to the Olympic Peninsula. The aircraft, dubbed 1B001, initially climbed to 10,000 ft., where the crew cycled the landing gear before slowly climbing to 12,000 ft.
More:

Boeing could deliver 737 MAX 10X in 2020 if airlines start buying - executive

Boeing Co (BA.N) could begin delivering the 737 MAX 10X aircraft in 2020 if airlines start ordering the largest version of its 737 MAX family this year, a senior executive of the aeroplane manufacturer said on Thursday.
The comments from Boeing 737 MAX chief project engineer and deputy program manager Michael Teal came as the smaller 737 MAX 9 completed its first airport taxi test in Seattle on Wednesday. That aircraft will make its first test flight in Seattle on Thursday, weather permitting, he said.
Boeing began marketing the 737 MAX 10X as an option to customers this year but has yet to receive any orders for the fuel-efficient single-aisle jetliner, which competes against the popular Airbus SE (AIR.PA) A321neo.
More:

Boeing grounds 737 Max flights for engine inspections

Boeing on Wednesday announced it is grounding all flights of its new single-aisle 737 Max.
The plane maker has concerns about a manufacturing quality issue inside the jet's new engines.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we decided to temporarily suspend MAX flights. The step is consistent with our priority focus on safety for all who use and fly our products," the plane maker said in a statement.
The jet has not yet been delivered to airlines. The first delivery was expected to be this month. Boeing said it plans to stick to that schedule.
Boeing (BA) said in a statement it is inspecting the core of each advanced Leap-1B engine. The engines are made by CFM International, which is a joint venture between General Electric (GE) and France's Safran.
More:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/10/news/companies/boeing-halts-737-max-flying-engine-issue/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-10/boeing-temporarily-suspends-737-max-flights-on-engine-issue

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-grounds-737-max-test-planes-over-quality-issue-with-engine/

Boeing Resumes 737 MAX Flights

MIAMI — Boeing has resumed some flight testing of the 737 MAX, three days after grounding the fleet citing issues related with CFM’s International LEAP-1B engine.
The first aircraft to return to the air was 9M-LRC, a 737 MAX 8 destined for Batik Air Malaysia. The aircraft took off from Boeing Field around 12:15pm Pacific Standard Time and landed after conducting a one hour and twenty minute test flight.
More:

Are the Malaysian MAXs already delivered still flying ?

According to Flightradar24:

* 9M-LRC is currently at SIN for OD803 (KUL-SIN), with estimated departure at 1010hrs, and

* for 9M-LRD, so far no latest info on it.

Are they doing something to LRD, e.g fitting PTV to the seats or adding business class seats?

Are they doing something to LRD, e.g fitting PTV to the seats or adding business class seats?

My understanding is they are not. These will serve LCC markets but as expected they have found there way onto the Singapore route. Perhaps there were few or no J passengers on that flight.

My understanding is they are not. These will serve LCC markets but as expected they have found there way onto the Singapore route. Perhaps there were few or no J passengers on that flight.

Just tried to check in for OD 801 and received a message that there is an issue with my ticket hmm... what could it be?

A quick check on expert flyer and I see that the 7M8 is on so Im about to get downgraded to Y. It would have been nice if they had told me and offered me another flight there has been no contact.

From experience this flight is usually pretty full in J so the regular faces will be none too pleased.

Will be interesting to see how this is handled and what compensation is offered etc.

Edited by Robert

Just tried to check in for OD 801 and received a message that there is an issue with my ticket hmm... what could it be?

A quick check on expert flyer and I see that the 7M8 is on so Im about to get downgraded to Y. It would have been nice if they had told me and offered me another flight there has been no contact.

From experience this flight is usually pretty full in J so the regular faces will be none too pleased.

Will be interesting to see how this is handled and what compensation is offered etc.

Keep us posted...

Malindo Air (Batik Air Malaysia) on Wednesday (17MAY17) updated its schedule, which sees the launch of world’s first Boeing 737MAX 8 service (7M8). The all-Economy Class 180-seater aircraft is scheduled to enter service on 22MAY17, operating on following routes.

Current 737MAX 8 schedule is updated until 30JUN17 inclusive, and is subject to change.

Kuala Lumpur – Singapore

22MAY17 OD803/804
01JUN17 – 30JUN17 OD801/802

Looks like you are gonna be downgraded. But i think when u arrive at airport, you should be given option to downgrade to Y or reschedule you to OD803

Malindo Air (Batik Air Malaysia) on Wednesday (17MAY17) updated its schedule, which sees the launch of world’s first Boeing 737MAX 8 service (7M8). The all-Economy Class 180-seater aircraft is scheduled to enter service on 22MAY17, operating on following routes.

Current 737MAX 8 schedule is updated until 30JUN17 inclusive, and is subject to change.

Kuala Lumpur – Singapore

22MAY17 OD803/804

01JUN17 – 30JUN17 OD801/802

Looks like you are gonna be downgraded. But i think when u arrive at airport, you should be given option to downgrade to Y or reschedule you to OD803

Thanks - will look to change my future flights to a different carrier or fly on the sunday evening. Cannot change to a later one today because I have to get to work :(