MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

MAS posts RM 527 Million Loss in Q2, Doesn’t Expect Profit for 2011

Perhaps there is quick & less painful way to vastly reduce staff numbers on the airlines payroll - slice it up to become independent companies under the MH Group umbrella. This will also permit a better accounting means of seeing which divisions bleed more than the others. It would also permit more targeted investment opportunities by outside companies in MAS & boost competitiveness within the group.

Ground handling services should be spun off across Malayia into a company that mimics SATS in Singapore, Toll DNATA in DXB, LSG of. Lufthansa. In fact, partners amongst these experienced players should be sought to help bolster operations and contribute to the bottom line there. Easily, Malaysia Wide, the staff numbers at the incumbent parent airline MAS would decrease by 8,000! Heck, MAHB themselves should be an investor in such an operation to boost their aeronautical source of revenue and take up the slack for the requirement of airport staff at many of their underperforming airports across Malaysia. Catering should also be bought back and revamped as the present Brahims deal is disgustingly corrupt and perceivingly inefficient.

MAS Engineering should be given more freedom to operate independently and should consider a separate listing to MAS on the local bourse. Further partnerships and expansion would consolidate Malaysias position as an MRO hub. the same should happen over at MASKargo.

I think operationally as an airline with focus on flight operations and cabin in flight services, the airline will find more neck space to breathe and operating profit will see a return to black. The new CEO should IMHO be financially minded but operationally flexible to make confident investment decisions to securevthe future of MAS. This may be a good way for the government o perhaps showcase it's true firm belief in th 1Malaysia concept and be prepared to place any Malaysian ofany ace as the CEO. Heck, even a Malayian from overseas as part of the government incentive to bring Malaysians home?

My few cents from my armchair.

wondering who are the people in the MH Board? kind of interesting to know whether they are capable of running an airline or have any knowledge or know how to run this type of business.

wondering who are the people in the MH Board? kind of interesting to know whether they are capable of running an airline or have any knowledge or know how to run this type of business.

Tony Fernandes did not know much about the airline industry 10 years ago when he bought AirAsia from DRB-Hicom for RM 1. The CEO should be a person who knows how to run a business soundly. He/she can have technical advisors/managers to fill in the airline business knowledge that may be required. Knowing how to run a business is more important than knowledge of the airline industry. That is why they are looking for someone who is like Azran Osman Rani, the D7 CEO who was formerly working for ASTRO.

Tony Fernandes did not know much about the airline industry 10 years ago when he bought AirAsia from DRB-Hicom for RM 1. The CEO should be a person who knows how to run a business soundly. He/she can have technical advisors/managers to fill in the airline business knowledge that may be required. Knowing how to run a business is more important than knowledge of the airline industry. That is why they are looking for someone who is like Azran Osman Rani, the D7 CEO who was formerly working for ASTRO.

I respectfully disagree, Sir.Knowing the business is as core to success as wheat is to bread! I think the difference with TF is that he made a concerted effort to understand the aviation business because of his personal risk exposure to the enterprise. appointed CEOs command a base salary with performance related benefits and answer to shareholders with no real personal risk to the CEO themselves except of course to credibility and viability -This is of course where Malaysia differs to many other places in the world - accountability of past And present CEOs seems to be guarded by higher powers, particularly more so with GLCs. There needs to be a structural shift in this regard before real sustainable progress is made. Until then, we'll probably still see corporate and operational performance of MAS and other similar companies see-saw through time.

Business minded person will always be successful no matter he engaged in what type of business.

Yes, business principles are the same no matter which industry you work in. It is important for the CEO to pick up the business once he joins. In many ways, it is good that any new CEO has to learn the business as this may lead to discoveries about the strengths and weaknesses of it first hand. Someone who is an outsider usually has a different perspective of the business and can think out of the box.

Putting politics aside...I think Lim Guan Eng, current CM of Penang will make a good CEO for MH.....his acumen n experience in accounting and turnin Penang around is enough....

Putting politics aside...I think Lim Guan Eng, current CM of Penang will make a good CEO for MH.....his acumen n experience in accounting and turnin Penang around is enough....

I doubt if they'll ever put a non-bumi at the helm. Please prove me wrong! :drinks:

er, IJ may have made it look good on the outside by SELLING assets - now when you have nothing to sell, everything crashes down in a heap!

i don't know, but after years of waiting for the MAS board to make a decision on an alliance - they finally surprise everyone, in a good way.

then we receive news about good old uncle TF coming in to save the day.

next thing you hear - oh, maybe we shouldnt join OW now. I find that really suspicious.

joining an Alliance is the thing they need to get regular premium travellers and to increase not only their pax numbers but increasing their yields further.

i cannot believe that the MAS board are as stupid and shortsighted as they seem to be ... how else can you explain this present circumstance apart from clearly 'ill-intentioned' advice from MAS' newest saviour(s)

Edited by Izanee

Actually, I sense panic going on in MH.

Delaying A380 deliveries and entry into OW are methods that can help conserve their cash. MH is running out of cash fast... They issued over RM 2b in bonds last year to pay for new aircraft. Looks like some of that money has been misused!

Actually, I sense panic going on in MH.

Delaying A380 deliveries and entry into OW are methods that can help conserve their cash. MH is running out of cash fast... They issued over RM 2b in bonds last year to pay for new aircraft. Looks like some of that money has been misused!

It wasn't just too long ago they bragged how much cash they have in the bank and that they wanted to buy a rival regional airline :D

Well the previous MH management was so sterile - it does not know its own strengths and weaknesses and did nothing to fix things like "Q2 is traditionally their weak quarter"...

For God's sake, if you know Q2 is traditionally weak, why didn't you do something to ameliorate this situation? Year in, year out, it is used as an excuse to justify Q2 losses! MH's previous management really lacks imagination!

Sign in to follow this