MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jamie H

British Airways Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 27 May 2015 and with B787-9 from 5 December 2015

I was on flight BA 33 departing on 14 June 2017.

Was op-up to F after boarding! (Faint)

Totally unexpected. Literally speechless. Severely under-dressed (dressed bordering Premium Economy-ish).

Apart from a lousy Samsung Note 3 phone, didn't bring a good camera to document the historic event in all its glory. (Cry)

Share the joy with some pictures please :D

Totally unexpected. Literally speechless. Severely under-dressed (dressed bordering Premium Economy-ish).

Apart from a lousy Samsung Note 3 phone, didn't bring a good camera to document the historic event in all its glory. (Cry)

Were you a loyal BA flyer? What's your status? So nice...wish I had such luck!

The tool BA uses is called DUT - discretionary upgrade tool. The algorithm of which has baffled many people since time immemorial. SOMETIMES - it is purely status related, SOMETIMES it is a mix of status and to use it as a sampler/temptation for future purchase -try once you may buy, and SOMETIMES it is purely used as a temptation tool and status plays no part. No one except those inside know it.

I got one a few weeks back from J to F from HKG-LHR - and i was told WHY i got it. Sometimes they don't tell you and you're scratching your head - just take it for what it is and enjoy, because there is no way to predict, nor influence it with BA.

The tool BA uses is called DUT - discretionary upgrade tool. The algorithm of which has baffled many people since time immemorial. SOMETIMES - it is purely status related, SOMETIMES it is a mix of status and to use it as a sampler/temptation for future purchase -try once you may buy, and SOMETIMES it is purely used as a temptation tool and status plays no part. No one except those inside know it.

I got one a few weeks back from J to F from HKG-LHR - and i was told WHY i got it. Sometimes they don't tell you and you're scratching your head - just take it for what it is and enjoy, because there is no way to predict, nor influence it with BA.

Do you still get amenity kits as an op-up? ;)

Ah. The great red beep when boarding (that's what usually happens to me rather than onboard). Congrats on the op-up!

No worries about under-dressed ;) I notice that Y pax are more well-dressed (with suit and what not sometimes) compared to those in F/J in their PJs ;)

Share the joy with some pictures please :D

Attached. If only I decided to bring along my good camera, it would have been a proper trip report for the forum.

Were you a loyal BA flyer? What's your status? So nice...wish I had such luck!

Yes I am now, with lots of Avios points. Status remains status quo. You can see BA is climbing the chart in my FlightMemory Top 10 airlines. Currently ranked 4th.

Cheers to that Suzie! I am sure you were properly dressed for the occasion.

Do you still get amenity kits as an op-up? ;)

Yes. The F amenity bag, PJ and slippers. All tied in white ribbon. It was the first thing the crew gave me as I settled on my new seat.

Ah. The great red beep when boarding (that's what usually happens to me rather than onboard). Congrats on the op-up!

No worries about under-dressed ;) I notice that Y pax are more well-dressed (with suit and what not sometimes) compared to those in F/J in their PJs ;)

Thank you. I sure hope this is not a one off. But I think I should be more prepared the next time I am flying them in J, just in case. At least have the good camera standby in the cabin bag and dressed up a bit.

KUL will be delegated to Mixed Fleet crew from July 2017. The entire World Wide crew who were with me on the flight were visibly upset that they are losing KUL. For most of them, it will be their last working trip to KUL.

And of course, the Mixed Fleet crew will celebrate it with a 2-week strike. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40305008

Photo proof: http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21111

Cheers to that Suzie! I am sure you were properly dressed

Actually BA probably didn't know if I was wearing a bintang beer singlet and slippers or if I was wearing a ball gown cause I checked in in KUL on CX and got the upgrade at the gate. - but in any case generally try to wear something proper :) Just what I like to do, not because of any upgrade hopes but manners and respect for other pax and it makes me feel better too :)

Thank you. I sure hope this is not a one off. But I think I should be more prepared the next time I am flying them in J, just in case. At least have the good camera standby in the cabin bag and dressed up a bit.

KUL will be delegated to Mixed Fleet crew from July 2017. The entire World Wide crew who were with me on the flight were visibly upset that they are losing KUL. For most of them, it will be their last working trip to KUL.

From your pics, it seems like you are pretty well-dressed (with slacks and nice shoes). What would you wear if you were to buy a F ticket? :p I usually just throw on a nice pair of jeans and a fitting T-shirt and hop on board ;).

Indeed MF is taking over and some of my MF friends are super excited about KUL - they'll get all 3 SEA cities - BKK, SIN-SYD and soon KUL. Having that said, I prefer WW crew because they are pay more attention to details (but I also rarely fly BA unless I have to) :p

Edited by Craig

I took the flight straight from work. I guess I would be more content with the way I look on the upgrade if I don't wear a cowboy checkered shirt and spotting a hair like Jimi Hendrix with that slacks and nice shoes. I don't wear any belt too.

A BA Dreamliner gone tech in KUL right now (I presume flight BA 34 last night).

I wonder how the rescue operation is going to be.

Managed to get on hold of the December 2018 edition of Up to Speed (BA's internal magazine for staff).

Featured is their upcoming A350-1000.

british-airways-a350-1000.jpg

What were known and revealed as of today:

• 18 aircraft in the fleet. All -1000.
  • First aircraft is to arrive in July 2019.
  • New Club World seat (if you are familiar with the current Club World seat on the Dreamliners BA is sending to KUL, you then know how exciting this bit is. Club World is the mid and long haul Business Class in BA's lingo).
  • Descriptions of the new Club World seat: "a larger seat, all-aisle access, increased privacy and storage. Various cabin refinements."
  • It will have a 3-class cabin.
  • Aircraft range: 350km further than the A380.
  • Wifi (finally!)

The big question is, will the airline send this new aircraft to KUL?

Those who frequented flight BA33/34 will know how high the loads are and that KUL is desperately needing a little upgauge of equipment.

The only thing going against KUL at the moment is the fact that the aircraft will be configured in 3-class cabin. Currently, the Dreamliners that BA is sending to KUL is configured in 4-class cabin.

The only thing going against KUL at the moment is fact that the aircraft will be configured in 3-class cabin. Currently, the Dreamliners that BA is sending to KUL is configured in 4-class cabin.

later delivery A35K's will be 4 class.

Latest from the spies at the MH Rumour Department:

2 MH crew going to BA HQ this morning with a BA staff carrying a large MH model aircraft. They wanna sign a codeshare with BA.

Finally! Oneworld cooperation for MH has been abysmal. The airline that sponsored MH into OW was QF, and they dont even fly to KUL.

I was so surprised that MH and BA didnt codeshare on their KUL-LHR flights.

CX pulled out of Malaysia and left us with KA service only. But I guess MH codeshares with CX out of HKG.

MH codeshares with QR and AA - so at least thats something. MH used to codeshare with AA and their onward flights to 🇺🇸 (To and fro CDG, FRA and AMS)

Edited by Izanee

Latest from the spies at the MH Rumour Department:

Most of these announcements arent made on a Saturday. Bad announcements are usually Friday. Good announcements usually earlier in the week.

And 2 MH crew are in Montreal now....

ICAO related event perhaps?

Are we playing Wheres Waldo. I mean MH crew?

Wow, that is a shocker. What a shame for KUL. Until we can get our economy to the next level, and lift the ringgit up from the depths, we will remain as a low yield destination. 

Plus, none of the European carriers can face the huge capacity that the ME3 provides to KUL. 

BA just announced they will return to KUL and BKK. BA will return to KUL beginning 10NOV24. I like how they just insert this pretty big news on a small paragraph in their larger complimentary onboard messaging news release. Flight schedule for BA33/34:

BA33 LHR2045 - 1730+1KUL 789 D

BA34 KUL2315 - 0520+1LHR 789 D

Interesting that they’ll resume KUL during winter (the softest demand for travel between UK and Malaysia is between November and late February, minus Xmas/NY). Good to hear nonetheless!

Edited by Craig