MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jamie H

British Airways Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 27 May 2015 and with B787-9 from 5 December 2015

If BA and QF could mount flights to KUL sooner, it would definitely benefit MAS in terms of connecting the OneWorld Alliance route, a single issued ticket on BA and later codeshared by MH from KUL onwards.

If BA and QF could mount flights to KUL sooner, it would definitely benefit MAS in terms of connecting the OneWorld Alliance route, a single issued ticket on BA and later codeshared by MH from KUL onwards.

I hope they start some code share soon so that I have a chance to accumulate elite miles on some of my business trips. Splitting the elite miles hurt.

Whilst its good for KUL I would have no desire to fly them due to their crap economy product. MH, EK or SQ are lightyears ahead.

True. I am more interested in the connections past Heathrow, rather than fly Star Alliance like I am. Having to split miles makes my status neither here nor there, unless I give up on MH and start flying SQ or TG.

Edited by J Chong

True. I am more interested in the connections past Heathrow, rather than fly Star Alliance like I am. Having to split miles makes my status neither here nor there, unless I give up on MH and start flying SQ or TG.

I know what you mean about having to split miles. That's what I'm most looking forward to when MH is officially part of OneWorld. Almost all of my international travel (to Asia and Europe) is on MH and most of my domestic travel is on QF. It would be lovely to earn miles into one programme. I want to say hello to Enrich platinum and OneWorld emerald! ;)

Edited by Josh T

Not sure where u r based but CX offers a good connection ex-HKG....If u r in KUL or PEN, should not be an issue....I have been using them for almost 3 years and no complains

a local aviation analyst said that British Airways flying to KLIA was not expected to hurt MAS and AirAsia X as it would have its own set of clientele.

Protectionism again. Don't they realize that a good portion of those passengers will want to transit somewhere else and would use MH or Air Asia? It can only be a good thing.

They would have returned to KUL without the invitation if the yield was good.

At the moment i sense that they would just do code share once MH entrance into One World is completed.

Changi gives them business travelers. KUL doesn't.

Not sure where u r based but CX offers a good connection ex-HKG....If u r in KUL or PEN, should not be an issue....I have been using them for almost 3 years and no complains

Yeah by fly CX will split my miles further. And I am a bit hesitant to pay for Marco Polo

On another note, doubt BA and Qantas will come to KLIA in a big way

British Airways and Qantas boost JSA agreement

13 hours ago

British Airways and Qantas boost JSA agreement

oneworld partners British Airways and Qantas have confirmed they will enhance their long-standing Joint Services Agreement (JSA) partnership to strengthen their Singapore hub.

The move is part of the Qantas’ five-year plan to build a truly modern, customer-focused and competitive global airline business announced today.

Qantas will continue Airbus A380 services from Melbourne and Sydney to London via Singapore, as well as constructing a new premium lounge at Changi International Airport.

In turn, British Airways will upgrade its London-Singapore-Sydney service from a Boeing 777 to a larger Boeing 747.

These changes will consolidate Singapore’s position as the primary hub for the JSA relationship, bolstering the two carriers’ competitive position in the Asia-Pacific region.

They will result in a market-leading customer offer both north and south of Singapore, as well as greater operational efficiencies.

Under the restructured JSA, from early 2012 Qantas will fly Australia-Bangkok and Australia-Hong Kong, while British Airways will operate Bangkok-London and Hong Kong-London, maximising the airlines’ respective network strengths.

British Airways will increase the frequency of London-Hong Kong services from 14 per week to 17 per week.

Qantas will no longer operate the Bangkok-London and Hong Kong-London sectors and British Airways will no longer operate the Bangkok-Sydney sector.

However, customers will still be able to connect swiftly and efficiently through both cities.

For Qantas, the restructured JSA will improve profitability on London routes and allow the early retirement of four Boeing 747 aircraft.

Valuable landing rights at Heathrow will be retained for future requirements.

Qantas chief executive, Alan Joyce, said it was the right time to restructure the JSA.

“Strengthening our relationship with British Airways is an important element of our new strategy for Qantas International,” Joyce said.

“Singapore will become the focal point of the JSA relationship, with daily Qantas A380 services from Melbourne and Sydney and onward to London, increased British Airways capacity and a new premium lounge.

“The new approach is a smarter use of both airlines’ resources that will enhance our competitive position in Asia and in the Australia-Europe market.

“Regardless of which airline is operating flights between Australia and the United Kingdom, we are focused on delivering a smooth and enjoyable flying experience for passengers. Restructuring the JSA will put us on the front foot in the fiercely competitive Australia-UK air travel market.”

The Qantas-British Airways JSA was established in 1995 and gives the airlines regulatory approval to work together on strategic planning, schedules, pricing frequent flyer programs and sales and marketing, as well as permitting revenue sharing.

Source: http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/british-airways-and-qantas-boost-jsa-agreement/

Edited by J Chong

British Airways is making one of its first significant network changes following the acquisition of bmi (by parent company International Consolidated Airlines Group) with the Dec-2012 resumption of services to South Korea's Seoul, which BA last served in 1998. BA will operate six weekly Boeing 777-200 flights on the route. "British Airways is delivering on its promise to increase long haul flying to Asia following IAG’s purchase of bmi," the carrier said in a statement.

Following the bmi acquisition IAG CEO Willie Walsh spoke of a number of routes BA would look to launch with the London Heathrow slots bmi would bring to IAG. Mr Walsh named South Korea, as well as Indonesia and Malaysia, as specific examples.

The Seoul-London market is growing, with Korean Air last week opening a thrice-weekly Seoul-London Gatwick service. Korean also operates a daily flight between Seoul and London Heathrow while Asiana last year upgraded its Seoul-London Heathrow service to daily. BA's entrance, with approximately 1,374 one-way seats a week, will give it a projected 21% share, with Korean Air holding 47% and Asiana 32%.

More here: http://www.centreforaviation.com/blogs/aviation-blog/british-airways-resumes-seoul-service-with-more-asian-destinations-to-come-as-ba-integrates-bmi-73014

nice one flee --> ICN was rumoured to be in the pipeline for many years now, alongside KUL. would be nice to see LHR-KUL-CGK again, or even LHR-KUL-MEL or even PER. However, I suspect that BA will soon start codesharing with MH on its australia/NZ services rather than use their own metal.

So- daily 77W LHR-KUL-CGK is my guess! what about you guys? what do you think?

..... However, I suspect that BA will soon start codesharing with MH on its australia/NZ services rather than use their own metal.

So- daily 77W LHR-KUL-CGK is my guess! what about you guys? what do you think?

I think if your first suspicion comes true, then the second guess will take some time yet to come about :)

Hi BC, i meant that the services to australia/NZ would be codeshare. I really think BA will return to KUL on its own metal, especially since MH will be a OW member by the end of the year. It would benefit them to codeshare with MH for its ASEAN/Ozzie/NZ services. BA's KUL service is long overdue! I still remember flying on BA's 744/772 KUL-LHR and 744 KUL-CGK (where i spent most of my time in the cockpit).

RJ is now increasing services to KUL. CX has added a much delayed 4th daily service to KUL. I hope that JL would start ramping up services (either upgrading equipment or increasing frequencies). I don't know about QF --> lots of talk but no action thus far. not even in the form of Jetstar (direct from australia, i mean).

Funny thing is that there are not many pax who are interested in flying with BA to KUL, i.e. the LHR-KUL route is not strong on O&D traffic for BA. So whatever BA flights mount, it should be one that terminates elsewhere. BA might be considering additional Asian or kangaroo routes or frequencies.

..... i meant that the services to australia/NZ would be codeshare. I really think BA will return to KUL on its own metal, .....

Ah yes, that is what was written as well

Beg pardon, must read properly next time :)

I have been advised that the joint British Airways - Qantas office in Rohas Perkasa near KLCC will close end-June 2012.

British Airways has also advised that it will employ the services of a GSA (General Sales Agent) to handle all Malaysian affairs from 1 July.

Looks like BA won't be returning to KUL afterall...

Googling Qantas however shows that Qantas will be moving to a new office in Menara IMC... I am however unable to confirm this information. Interestingly Cathay Pacific is located at Menara IMC..

Edited by Dr Frasier

what a disgrace, MAS is joining oneworld and BA are closing their office. it seems QF and BA are not really serious about MAS joining.

Didnt this office close many years ago?

The office had always remained open despite the carriers pulling out of KUL.

KL of course had been tipped to be the next destination for BA to launch but i guess with MAS A380s plying the route within OneWorld and the popularity of EK, EY and QR - IAG cannot see a business case for returning to KUL.

The office had always remained open despite the carriers pulling out of KUL.

KL of course had been tipped to be the next destination for BA to launch but i guess with MAS A380s plying the route within OneWorld and the popularity of EK, EY and QR - IAG cannot see a business case for returning to KUL.

With the increased capacity from the A380s, I'm pretty sure BA will code-share with MH on the LHR-KUL flights and QF will code-share with MH on the Oz-KUL flights.

With the increased capacity from the A380s, I'm pretty sure BA will code-share with MH on the LHR-KUL flights and QF will code-share with MH on the Oz-KUL flights.

Agree - MH should pursue code share agreements with their Oneworld partners.

Agree - MH should pursue code share agreements with their Oneworld partners.

It would simply make the most sense.

The fact that the middle eastern carriers have picked up the pax from BA on the LHR-KUL route means that the demand is there. I don't see how BA and QF don't want to fly to a new OneWorld hub which is ranked one of the top 30 airports in terms of pax and cargo traffic. Its a big kick in the nuts for KUL.