MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
dean hizudy

MAS Classic Ads/Video

2401932559_d30a554023.jpg

That one-way fare £155 back then (I'm assuming the ad was pre-1975 since it featured a 707) is now £1,272.55 in today's money :shok: and that's about the return fare nowadays...

Source: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

Edited by Y. J. Foo

I'm glad I managed to collect every single piece of chinaware and glass on the tray, including the tray :-)

2401932559_d30a554023.jpg

This makes me wanna travel back in time and bring all the money I have now with me. Alas, today's money isn't probably legal tender then :(

Not related with MH but this is about several new airlines in KLIA in 1999

pr.gif NEW AIRLINES OPERATING AT KLIA

Friday 03/09/1999

KLIA has continued to show positive growth in passenger and aircraft traffic since it started operations in July 1998. Traffic has steadily increased at an average rate of 4% monthly to the present volume of 1,120,000 passengers/month in July 1999. This figure excludes the 160,000 domestic travellers who used LTSAAS monthly. Aircraft traffic has also increased from an average of 320 movements daily in November 1998 to the present 336 movements daily.

Northwest Airlines started operations in KLIA in February 1999. It flies twice weekly from KLIA to Kansai en-route to

various destinations in US. Transmile will start its cargo operations at KLIA beginning September 8, 1999. It will operate 5 flights weekly into KLIA. The routes will be Penang-Kuala Lumpur-Manila and return.

The next to join KLIA is Turkish Airlines. Beginning September 18, 1999, Turkish Airlines will operates twice weekly to/from KLIA. The routes will be Istanbul-Dubai-Kuala Lumpur and return every Monday and Saturday. The flights are scheduled to arrive at KLIA at 1330 hours and depart from KLIA at 2230 hours on both days. Turkish Airlines has expressed its intention to make KLIA its hub for the Asian region, with plans to increase flight frequency into KLIA.

KLIA is particularly proud to welcome Turkish Airlines. The airline was described by IATA as the fastest growing airline

company in Europe and the Middle East. Currently Turkish Airlines flies to 98 airports, including 33 airports within Turkey. With its extensive network, Turkish Airlines will provide customers in Malaysia, and within the region, with more destinations and better connectivity.

Another newcomer is Air Maldives, which will begin operation at KLIA in early November 1999. It will operate from Male-Kuala Lumpur and return every Wednesday and Friday.

Currently, there are 39 airlines operating in KLIA. This will increase to 42 airlines when these airlines begin their operations at KLIA. Malaysia Airports Sdn Bhd is also in discussions with a few other airlines , that have indicated interest to operate at KLIA.

ISSUED BY MALAYSIA AIRPORTS (SEPANG) SDN BHD

DATE OF RELEASE : SEPTEMBER 3, 1999

RELEASED BY BERNAMA PRWIRE MALAYSIA*GLOBAL

Do you have a treasure trove of MAS memorabilia at home? It's impressive.

By any chance you have one of those blue travel bags ? Classic ! :)

MAS should re-paint one of its aircraft to their old Malaysia Airlines System livery like how GA did with their 738 and Thai with their 77W :rolleyes:

MAS should re-paint one of its aircraft to their old Malaysia Airlines System livery like how GA did with their 738 and Thai with their 77W :rolleyes:

Yes good idea, seeing that they cannot seem to decide which of the three liveries (red/blue cheatlined, Philippine flag aka swoosh, or sombre all blue versions) to apply on their planes nowadays :D

In 1990, KL was the host event of beauty pageant,Miss All-Nation and all the contestants arrived with Malaysia Airlines.From this video, it was MAS aircraft with older all-red livery.

Not related with MH but this is a classic ads from 60s which i found very interesting

guinness-advert.jpg

Did Malays consume beer back then? :blink:

Wow, so classic! I know some of these images are taken from timetableimages.com. I like the photos of MSA stewardess posing in their famous Sarong Kebaya, which was designed by Pierre Balmain.