MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

Azmil out of MAS in share swap with AirAsia

By Jahabar Sadiq

EditorAugust 09, 2011KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 9 — MAS managing director Tengku Datuk Azmil Zaharudin lost his job today after the airline’s shareholders finalised a share swap with Asia’s largest low cost carrier, AirAsia.

The Malaysian Insider understands that an executive committee led by Tan Sri Azman Yahya will manage the state carrier while day-to-day operations will be handled by Khazanah Nasional Bhd executive director and MAS board member, Mohd Rashdan Mohd Yusof.

Azmil will join Khazanah as an executive director effective September 12, 2011.

Under the share swap, AirAsia’s main shareholder Tune Air Sdn Bhd will swap 10 per cent stake in the budget carrier for 20.25 per cent share of the ailing flag carrier in the agreement called a “Comprehensive Collaboration Framework”.

Before the share swap, Tune Air was the biggest shareholder in AirAsia with 26.28 per cent stake while Khazanah held a total of 69.33 per cent share of MAS.

The MAS board will also see some new faces, namely former IJM chief executive Datuk Krishnan Tan, Astro chief executive Datuk Rohana Rozhan and David Lau from Shell Malaysia.

Rashdan, popularly known as Danny, was part of the BinaFikir consultancy that engineered the wide asset unbundling (WAU) restructuring that made MAS a virtual airline in 2002. BinaFikir was then led by Tan Sri Azman Mokhtar, who is now managing director of Khazanah, the majority shareholder in MAS.

latest news from malaysianinsider.... i don't know what to make out of this...

Edited by V Wong

Tan Sri Anthony Francis Fernandes and Dato' Kamarudin Meranun has been named to the board, and will be part of the EXCO running the airline until the new MD is named. Several new directors have been also named including the CEO of Astro, director of Axiata, and the Executive Deputy Chairman of IJM

Guess its a good time to buy a lottery ticket.

Tan Sri Anthony Francis Fernandes and Dato' Kamarudin Meranun has been named to the board, and will be part of the EXCO running the airline until the new MD is named. Several new directors have been also named including the CEO of Astro, director of Axiata, and the Executive Deputy Chairman of IJM

Guess its a good time to buy a lottery ticket.

Yup, my friend said emailed already circulated to MAS staff.

BTW, this Govt interference allegations on MH policies and operations, is it a convenient Red Herring frequently bandied around as an excuse acceptable to the public? I know its overplayed. The Govt does have interest in MAS for obvious reasons, and its up to the CEO to navigate his way around such obstacles. When you have CEOs with backbones made of jelly, with extremely polite and accommodating attitude for the political masters, then the specter of Government interference becomes real. You cannot have this "Sit, RollOver, Beg & Fetch " type of canine Management leading MH. You gotta have Management with conviction, one who will say " I'm ready to leave if you interrupt my policies often enough. "

BTW, Apart from the few I know are good, I will not touch any of the MH Higher Management with a 10 foot pole even if they offer their services for free in my Charter company.

Agree with your astute assessment. Petronas is a good example - its previous CEO was very independent and did not allow the govt. to dictate Petronas' policies. I think Petronas might be the next GLC to go to the dogs with the new CEO.

I wonder will MH suffer the same fate as AI being "disqualified" for entrance to Star Alliance ..... since all the hoo-hah happening in MH will not end in the short term....

Agree with your astute assessment. Petronas is a good example - its previous CEO was very independent and did not allow the govt. to dictate Petronas' policies. I think Petronas might be the next GLC to go to the dogs with the new CEO.

Well, the Goverment needs Petronas's money. If you needed someone more than they need you, certainly a little leeway could be given. In the end, the independent CEO went by the wayside too.

Tune Air to take 20.5% of MAS shares

SEPANG: Tune Air Sdn Bhd and Khazanah Nasional Bhd, the major shareholders Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines (MAS)respectively, have agreed to buy from each other existing shares of both companies.

As a result, Tune will hold 20.5% of shares in MAS and Khazanah wil hold 10% of shares in AirAsia.

MAS, AirAsia and AirAsia X has also entered into a comprehensive collaboration framework today that includes a collaborative agreement to explore opportunities to cooperate on a broad range of areas.

The collaboration agreement shall be for a five-year period with an option for a further five-year renewal.

Source: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/9/business/20110809172418&sec=business

MAS and AirAsia's new appointments

SEPANG: The board of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) today announced the appointment of Tan Sri Wan Azmi Wan Hamzah, Tan Sri Tan Boon Seng @ Krishnan, Datuk Rohana Rozhan and David Lau Nai Pek as independent non-executive directors.

Mohammed Rashdan Mohd Yusof will be redesignated as an executive director of the company and Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and Datuk Kamarudin Meranun as non-independent non- executive directors of MAS

The Board also announced the resignation of MAS managing director Tengku Datuk Seri Azmil Zahruddin effective August 9.

Azmil will leave MAS to join Khanazah Nasional Bhd as executive director of investments effective Sept 12.

The MAS board also announced the establishment of an executive committee to be chaired by Tan Sri Md Nor Yusof. The exco will comprise of Datuk Mohamed Azman Yahya, Mohammed Rashdan Mohd Yusof, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and Dtk Kamarudin Meranun.

The exco wil oversee the management of the company until such a time when a new managing director is appointed.

AirAsia Bhd's board also announced the appointment of Datuk Mohamed Azman Yahya as a non-independent non-executive director while Mohammed Rashdan Mohd Yusof will be appointed as his alternate director.

Source: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/9/business/20110809170043&sec=business

Edited by flee

Well, the Goverment needs Petronas's money. If you needed someone more than they need you, certainly a little leeway could be given. In the end, the independent CEO went by the wayside too.

Where do you get these thingS? Tan Sri Merican exCEO of Petronas reached his mandatory retirement age and was immediately snapped up by a Singapore O&G conglomerate. I dont call that falling by the "wayside"

Edited by Mohd Saat

All the same, spare a thought for Dato Eddie Leong ;)

Actually I think he is a good candidate for the CEO post itself! We need some new blood and FY's CEO is a refreshing new face.

Unfortunately if he becomes CEO, the first duty he has to perform is to kill his own baby, FY jet services. Now, that will be a real test of his courage and creativity!

"Md Nor said Malaysia Airlines will focus on being a full-service carrier, while its budget unit, Firefly, would be relaunched as a new regional full-service airline"

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1675210

MAS chairman Tan Sri said: "We believe that the joint collaboration will help MAS focus on our strengths in our core markets and work towards deriving higher loads and more efficient resource utilisation.

"We will also be able to offer services in engineering and other areas to both AirAsia and AirAsia X. Firefly's resources would be refocused to launch a new regional full service airline operation."

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/08/09/360500/airasia-and-malaysia-airlines-detail-cross-ownership.html

what is that supposed to mean? FY to be operated solely on turboprop only or a mixture of turbo prop and B738?

Edited by khair

From words circulating, FY is not going to be axed, rather its going to be relabeled as a regional carrier - ala silk air.

so in one swoop, we have SQ in Malaysia

Premium longhaul = MH = SQ

Regional = FY = MI

Budget = AK = TR

Budget longhaul = D7 = unnamed

my biggest question is - is the malaysian domestic consumer going to be screwed?

I mean,no news on how its going to be like, but word online said that AK is to take the domestic route.

FAX again?

Eddie Leong? You guys need to dig more. FY lives on MH. If it was on its own from start up do you think it will survive? Do you know how FY started? There was no battle that needs to be fought to put FY in the sky, everything was on a platter.

In a word, be very careful what you ask for, you may not know what to do when you get it.

full service regional solely on ATR? what a joke

Eddie Leong? You guys need to dig more. FY lives on MH. If it was on its own from start up do you think it will survive? Do you know how FY started? There was no battle that needs to be fought to put FY in the sky, everything was on a platter.

In a word, be very careful what you ask for, you may not know what to do when you get it.

Eddie is capable in own ways, at least the mh cronies hardly get a hand on it

MAS, AirAsia And AirAsia X To Leverage On Core Strengths

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 9 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS), AirAsia Bhd and Airasia X Sdn Bhd today entered into a comprehensive collaboration framework to leverage on their respective core strengths.

To strengthen the collaboration and to establish a mutuality of interest, MAS and AirAsia are issuing free warrants to each other's shareholders.

Independent advisers will be appointed to advise minority shareholders on the proposed warrants.

Tune Air Sdn Bhd and Khazanah Nasional Bhd, the major shareholders of AirAsia and MAS, respectively, have agreed to acquire from each other existing shares of both companies.

As a result, Tune Air will hold 20.5 per cent shares in MAS and Khazanah will hold 10 per cent shares in AirAsia.

Khazanah will continue to be the single largest and major shareholder of MAS.

The agreement will come into effect immediately upon its execution and shall remain in effect for five years from the date of the collaboration agreement, with an option for a further five-year renewal.