MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

makes sense to use NRT. I always wondered why they dropped their KUL-NRT-LAX flights in the past. At least some people are thinking now. This should be ramped to once daily. Once they join oneworld, who knows, NRT/LAX may be an A380 route for MH if they can get traffic rights from NRT to LAX!

Because they didn't manage to get the approval to increase the NRT-LAX sector to daily, so they dropped it in favor of a daily flight via TPE. Back then they were operating the LAX flight something like 4x weekly via TPE and 3x weekly via NRT.

MAS will also continue to offer direct daily connectivity between Kota Kinabalu and Taipei using the latest B737-800 aircraft with a capacity of 16 Business Class and 144 Economy Class seats.

Wise decision! They should reduce the seats in EY to increase the seat pitch in EY because the legroom is seriously small. Ain't gonna be comfortable for a 3 hours + flight.

By the way, Air Asia is reducing the BKI/TPE flight from daily to just 4x weekly starting late next month. Probably a sign that MAS is doing better on this sector as MAS is still maintaining a daily flight between BKI/TPE.

KCH - BKI - HKG not using B738? :(

Is the HKG flight still originating from KCH ? I thought the HKG flight originates from BKI and terminates at BKI now ?

Edited by Isaac

So, MAS is only allowed up to 4x a week between NRT and LAX? Does anyone know if HND-LAX is an option at all?

As for KCH-BKI-HKG, yes, it is still being flown by a B734. Due to the route rationalisation in E.Malaysia, I got bumped onto the MH385 flight (BKI-KCH) and discoevered that it's being flown by these old birds... <_>

Anyway, sounds like these latest changes are good decisions. :good:

KUL-LAX is really surprised, considering MH is not a big player on Asia-US route. Hopefully they will make it daily once they join oneworld.

KUL-LAX is really surprised, considering MH is not a big player on Asia-US route. Hopefully they will make it daily once they join oneworld.

MH really need to make the KUL-NRT-LAX service a daily one in order to provide connectivity with AA and their network. Demand is soft for NRT flights, so it makes sense to tag LAX on to NRT and make it a daily service.

On Youtube, a guy who took a video of MH KUL-TPE-LAX said most of the passengers were embarking in KUL, and only a few in TPE. So, loads on KUL-LAX are quite healthy for MH, otherwise they will drop this route along with EWR.

I was once told something along the lines of MH wanting to increase frequencies for LAX but problems with codesharing with Air India became an issue.. Not really clear myself, but it was something like that.

MH really need to make the KUL-NRT-LAX service a daily one in order to provide connectivity with AA and their network. Demand is soft for NRT flights, so it makes sense to tag LAX on to NRT and make it a daily service.

I remembered when LAX was introduced into MAS' network in 1986 (IIRC), it had a stopover at NRT. This continued well into the 1990s and at some point it had changed to via TPE. I guess MAS is reviving the old route? Is KUL-NRT-LAX confirmed though? It will be a shame if they cannot utilised the HND slots.

Is KUL-NRT-LAX confirmed though? It will be a shame if they cannot utilised the HND slots.

KUL-NRT-LAX is confirmed. As for HND, are they allowed to fly to the USA from there?

Any chance for KUL - EWR/JFK via ZRH or DMO?

Most probably zero chance as Europe, with its declining economic climate and ETS taxes and other govt. taxes is a very poor business proposition these days.

IMHO, if MAS wishes to resume KUL-EWR, it should use the dugong flying non stop.

IMHO, if MAS wishes to resume KUL-EWR, it should use the dugong flying non stop.

They might face a big problem to fill in all the seats though. Besides, it won't be able to make it non-stop without severe payload restriction.

Wonder where would be a feasible stop for KUL-EWR?

In Europe there is British Airways, Finnair and Iberia who are in Oneworld. London-NYC would have too much competition. Nobody from Malaysia would frequent Finland I imagine. So what about KUL-MAD-EWR/JFK?

Flying the dugong, MH can revive the old route of KUL-DXB-EWR so that they can claim to "upgrade" their A330 service to the A380. :)

Just saw MH's A380 full page ad on today's Metro (free) paper in London. Nothing about the aircraft itself in particular, just an advert with promotional fares to SEA, Australia and NZ. Hope that the A380 will bring some good fortunes for MAS.

Understand MH has been losing $$$ on KUL-TPE-LAX for many years. Without daily flight on KUL-NRT-LAX, high yield is unlikely. Operating cost ex-NRT is higher than TPE, there is a risk that MH may loss even more $$$.

Just saw MH's A380 full page ad on today's Metro (free) paper in London. Nothing about the aircraft itself in particular, just an advert with promotional fares to SEA, Australia and NZ. Hope that the A380 will bring some good fortunes for MAS.

According to the fine prints; A380 and advertised fare is mutually exclusive. Strictly speaking is leading :pardon:

And for the airline opting for 3-3-3, it is mainly to save weight. In 3-3-3, only 3 IFE boxes are needed per row but in 2-5-2, 4 IFE boxes are needed.

4 IFE boxes for EK and KL 10 abreast 777?

MH 2-5-2 on 772 was kept from DC-10-30.

4 IFE boxes for EK and KL 10 abreast 777?

Yes. 4 IFE boxes per row.

MH 2-5-2 on 772 was kept from DC-10-30.

CX's 772 too was delivered in 2-5-2 but they changed it to 3-3-3 about a year later, if my memory serves me correctly. I read this in a book a while back. The original CX 772 had 2 extra seats in EY when it was in 2-5-2 layout.

The decision to switch the stopover on MAS’ only US route to Tokyo could be an alliance response. MAS will have the benefit of having a partner in Tokyo from late next year, when it enters oneworld. JAL is a oneworld member.

Considering the article is date 12 Jan 2012, is it a typo or something yet unannounced on MH's oneworld membership?

MAS Announces Management Structure Of New Short Haul Airline

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 31 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) today announced the management structure of its new short haul airline which is expected to start operations by the second quarter this year.

The new airline will be led by Mohammed Rashdan Yusof as Chief Executive Officer, Short Haul while the overall operations will be managed by Ignatius Ong Ming Choy as Chief Operating Officer, Short Haul.

In a statement Tuesday, MAS Group Chief Executive Officer, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said: "This is the beginning of exciting times for our short haul operations and I am confident that the team will strive hard to build up this new business as an important component of the group and contribute towards the success of our overall goal to make MAS the preferred premium carrier."

The airline's operations will be divided into three core functional areas, namely commercial, operations and support services.

It will operate the entire narrow-body fleet and short haul routes of MAS, as well as the Firefly ATR turboprop business.