MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

It sure seems like nobody really knows what is going on. That's why you have to admire TF and gang sometimes, their intentions might not be pure but they sure know what they want.

The flip flopping is really sickening!

There are bad flip flop, and there are good flip flop.

This one is a good flip flop, if they can flip flop on the CCC it would be even better. Of course if MH can flip flop on some contracts signed years ago, then MH could even return to profitability.

Edited by Radzi

There are bad flip flop, and there are good flip flop.

This one is a good flip flop, if they can flip flop on the CCC it would be even better. Of course if MH can flip flop on some contracts signed years ago, then MH could even return to profitability.

That's the only thing where there will be no flip flop.

I really don't see what is wrong with using FY to operate to secondary destinations in a similar way that SQ uses MI.

Well, what do we know ? :)

To me, seem like everything just about turned full circle and we're back at square one, once again

Only that a few individuals have now been handed a major chunk (and some would say effective control) of what was a national asset

And with it, out goes open market competition

We really should be applauding their success - brash and shameless the approach may have been, but exceedingly successful :rolleyes:

I know this comment has no value but " hehehehehehehe hahahahahaha....... " a tragic black comedy. And its only half the story. Most have no idea how deeeeep a hole that the rakyat's money has been used to cover these gaffs.

Best value-for-money wins, don't care about airlines/branding. Say, so many accolades for EK, QR, SQ. Still like CX for long-haul.

MAS to no longer operate widebodies on short-haul routes

MAS tells CAPA there will be total separation between the two divisions and the long-haul unit will not operate any short-haul routes. MAS has not yet said where it will draw the line between its short-haul and long-haul divisions. But the carrier previously stated the new short-haul premium carrier would operate routes of four hours and less, encompassing destinations throughout Southeast Asia and parts of the Indian subcontinent and greater China.

MAS already only operates 737s on the international routes initially identified for the new premium short-haul carrier: Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok, Singapore, Jakarta, Manila, Ho Chi Minh City. On the domestic trunk routes to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu, which were also identified in the original network plan for new premium carrier, MAS currently operates 737s with the exception of two weekly flights to Kuching and three weekly flights to Kota Kinabalu.

Operating widebody aircraft on short-haul routes is not inherently poor strategy. In addition to genuine high demand that can support widebody capacity, great efficiences can be had by operating widebody aircraft on short-haul routes during times the aircraft would otherwise remain on the ground between long-haul flights. Such so called intentional misuse is a prominent strategy of carriers including Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines.

In addition to reducing capital expenditure for short-haul aircraft, using long-haul aircraft on dense short-haul routes gives carriers a competitive advantage by offering a very premium product on a route that would otherwise see a regional product. This gives long-haul transfer passengers a high level experience throughout their trip. MAS will need to ensure it will not lose any of these advantages.

Unlike Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, MAS already uses narrowbody aircraft for almost all its international routes within Southeast Asia (the only exception is Bali, which is served with a mix of 737s and Airbus A330s). But MAS operates widebodies on several international routes of four hours or less to the Indian subcontinent and greater China including Dhaka, Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Xiamen. It would seem MAS will be transferring these routes over to the new short-haul unit as part of the new short-haul strategy. MAS already uses 737s for some routes to the India and China including Bangalore, Hyderabad, Colombo, Male and Kunming. Routes to India and China in the five to six hour range such as Delhi, Mumbai, Beijing and Shanghai will most likely stay with widebody aircraft although technically most are just within narrowbody range.

MAS adjusts short-haul strategy again as plans for separate premium brand are dropped: http://www.centreforaviation.com/analysis/mas-adjusts-short-haul-strategy-again-as-plans-for-separate-premium-brand-are-dropped-71314

If the seat is comfortable, inflight service/product good and the price affordable then I dont mind narrow body aircraft.

One of the biggest advantages of narrow bodies is when waiting for baggage collection. Fewer pax on the flight means that the baggage emerges quicker as fewer bags need to be handled.

MAS to no longer operate widebodies on short-haul routes [/size][/b]

Guess optimize demand, load and utilization is not MH cup of tea.

If the seat is comfortable, inflight service/product good and the price affordable then I dont mind narrow body aircraft.

Unfortunately it's not (the new 738 equipped with AVOD in all seat) :mellow:

[/size] MAS adjusts short-haul strategy again as plans for separate premium brand are dropped: http://www.centreforaviation.com/analysis/mas-adjusts-short-haul-strategy-again-as-plans-for-separate-premium-brand-are-dropped-71314

That was a great read and a decently written article. Thanks for posting!

I heard this Monday on 16th Apr MH will be having a town hall meeting and might be some official suprise announcement will be make. It's more about Firefly's jet operation future either continue or discontinue forever.

Being told by a friend of mine ( QR staff which happened to be an ex MH crew), MH will carry out another secondment exercise for its cabin crew. It will be to Middle East carriers.

Being told by a friend of mine ( QR staff which happened to be an ex MH crew), MH will carry out another secondment exercise for its cabin crew. It will be to Middle East carriers.

That's great. So, with great hardware to go with the great seconded software, who needs to fly MH?

I heard this Monday on 16th Apr MH will be having a town hall meeting and might be some official suprise announcement will be make. It's more about Firefly's jet operation future either continue or discontinue forever.

Let's see what's the story next in less than 24 hours, it would be more than happier for us to have things revert back to normal...wanders when can we have the choices that Indonesian can have for the domestic sectors (not "so much" as them, but at least is not an "apple or orange" game only...

wanders when can we have the choices that Indonesian can have for the domestic sectors (not "so much" as them, but at least is not an "apple or orange" game only...

Can out market sustain so many airlines, or will all of them be loss making and requiring bailouts?

Even the huge Indonesian market is no paradise - Mandala just resumed operations with the help of Tiger, after it went bankrupt.

Edited by flee

Can out market sustain so many airlines, or will all of them be loss making and requiring bailouts?

Even the huge Indonesian market is no paradise - Mandala just resumed operations with the help of Tiger, after it went bankrupt.

I already said it, just slightly more choices rather than "apple or orange" game only will be more than enough; not as many and as big in Indonesia, I do know that the market cannot sustain so much airlines, but at least not just a pick between "apple or orange" for Malaysians...

KUALA LUMPUR, April 25 (Bernama) -- Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Dr Awang Adek Hussin has refuted allegations that the comprehensive collaboration framework (CCF) between Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) and AirAsia Bhd is one-sided.

He told the Dewan Negara today that the CCF is part of MAS' recovery plan to improve its operations and finances and become a premier airline.

The CCF, which was entered into by MAS, AirAsia and its long-haul low-cost unit AirAsia X Sdn Bhd on Aug 9 last year, is not a merger but a strategic collaboration to explore mutually beneficial opportunities besides giving a new lease of life to MAS to carry on with its operations after having suffered heavy losses.

"This a new approach by the government to ensure MAS' future competitiveness, and the collaboration is seen as a way to ensure the efficient and cost-effective operations of the airlines especially MAS," he said in reply to a question from Senator Abdul Rahman Bakar.

"No collaboration will be continued if any of the parties involved finds it will lose out, in fact every field of collaboration is subject to the completion of a full anti-trust review before it can continue," he said.

I don't agree with this MAS-Air Asia collaboration thing and I also think it's one sided. But since it's done already, I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt but they need to produce results fast.

I don't agree with this MAS-Air Asia collaboration thing and I also think it's one sided. But since it's done already, I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt but they need to produce results fast.

It's coming close to a year ! N what do we c? Route cuts , the slaughtering of FY jets n noticed that fares r now going up across all the three of them !

It's coming close to a year ! N what do we c? Route cuts , the slaughtering of FY jets n noticed that fares r now going up across all the three of them !

What do you expect when politicians start to meddle with things? I'm no fan of the share swap (as a matter of fact the so called Premiumization of MH was already planned from the previous management), but enough is enough - both sides of the government should just stay away instead of trying to score cheap political points and let the job be done.

Frankly speaking, they should just shut down MAS. Then all the crony contracts can be terminated.

Too bad if TF's 20% is worth 0 sen.