MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

..... thinking that they know best. Why can't they just give it some time

Don't think they can afford that luxury. Last I read D-day is 03 June :D

Why can't they just give it some time. The aviation industry is not in the healthiest of times and even airlines like CX and SQ are not making as much money as they used to.....

Agree, they don't have the patience and they never understand the nature of the airline industry, just NATO all the time. They always think they are better than SQ and CX. After all, the only aspect that I think MH are better than SQ/CX and any other airline is the cabin crew service. Besides that, nothing else is the same. But then again, for them, Malaysia is the world, so the real world is oblivious and non-existent, just like how they think KUL and MH can sustain itself without joining an alliance at a time like this when the airline is in a terrible mess, or refusing the partnership with QF due to percentage ownership. Seriously, if this is the mentality of the unions and the management, then I wish them, MH and KUL all the best! Who do they think they are to mess up our airline? Mother Superior? :nea: Just my point of view :aggressive:

Edited by kandiah k

Lest we forget ...

WNPMi.jpg

Laughing all the way to the bank ... and at us suckers? :)

===

Tony is busy relocating to Jakarta. No time for trivialities. :)

He has spoken on Twitter...

Just read the chairman of malaysian airlines statement. He is a good honest man. Was ceo of mas when we started airasia. He's trying so hard as are all of us. Not sure how the guys with hate actually help.

Muahahaha, suspected by foresight; confirmed by hindsight

Two of them even smarter -- in Jakarta counting their loot? :)

===

Well on a personal level it does, because I work for MH!

It does matter when your job is in jeopardy.

Realistically, how many of those people really exists out there? I mean those who earn annually RM300k.

There are many actually but many of them are very low-key people (those around me for instance)... or probably because the businesses they are running don't look as if they will earn a lot but guess what ? There are simply too many things that don't look like what they seem.

Satistically in Malaysia though, how many of such population exists? In terms of per capita income and purchasing power.

Mate, there are way too many things that are not properly recorded in this country and also way too many people are not paying tax or are paying a lot less tax than they are supposed to. So most of the time, such statistic can only be used as mere reference but it doesn't represent the reality. Else many parents can't afford to send their kids to study abroad but many still do. I'm not saying that there are no poor people here. There are many people who earn just enough to pay the utilities bills, mortgage, to feed themselves etc. but there are also many rich people in this country. People that can totally afford to fly a full service airline but always choose to fly with a no-frills airline because they lead a frugal lifestyle... or they prefer to spend their money elsewhere such as buying expensive clothes/purses/high-end skincare items etc. I am just saying through what i have seen myself.

In terms of percentage in the population, how many percentile are we talking about? I know many in HK are filthy rich and they don't drive any cars and yet the own some of the most expensive properties in the world, in terms of per square foot.

No doubt that there are many rich people in Hong Kong but it doesn't represent the living standard of everyone in Hong Kong nor does it mean that everyone has a Private Banking account. The fact that everything is so expensive in Hong Kong doesn't help either. There are now many insanely rich Mainland Chinese that keep buying properties in Hong Kong which drive the properties prices up beyond the reach of many average Hong Kong citizens and this has been widely reported by news channels in Hong Kong.

Anyway, we've gone off-topic and i shall stop here. Whether one is to believe or not is entirely up to the reader but it certainly doesn't change the fact that there are many rich Malaysians using Air Asia as their preferred carrier and will only fly if they can buy the ticket during Air Asia's crazy sale. I think we have quite a few regulars here who are super cash rich but still frequently patronage Air Asia :D

Naim, agreed. Looks like a smash and grab job. Malaysia is there to be plundered and pillaged by the pirates

Malaysia is there to be plundered and pillaged by the pirates

A difference as I understand it, pirates have a code of honour ...... :)

There are many actually but many of them are very low-key people (those around me for instance)... or probably because the businesses they are running don't look as if they will earn a lot but guess what ? There are simply too many things that don't look like what they seem.

I will do the math for you. I assume it is 5% of that population and that is a very modest estimation. 5% of the population in a country that has 20 million souls equates to 100,000. That is very little.

Mate, there are way too many things that are not properly recorded in this country and also way too many people are not paying tax or are paying a lot less tax than they are supposed to. So most of the time, such statistic can only be used as mere reference but it doesn't represent the reality. Else many parents can't afford to send their kids to study abroad but many still do. I'm not saying that there are no poor people here. There are many people who earn just enough to pay the utilities bills, mortgage, to feed themselves etc. but there are also many rich people in this country. People that can totally afford to fly a full service airline but always choose to fly with a no-frills airline because they lead a frugal lifestyle... or they prefer to spend their money elsewhere such as buying expensive clothes/purses/high-end skincare items etc. I am just saying through what i have seen myself.

Which group is the group that are likely to send the kids overseas to study? So far as far as I know is the Chinese which comprised of roughly 7 million or less than 25% of the population. Realistically how many can actually send their kids overseas? 50%? 70%? - 3.5million, then again that is a very modest answer. You cannot say apply the same theory across the entire population based on your observation.

No doubt that there are many rich people in Hong Kong but it doesn't represent the living standard of everyone in Hong Kong nor does it mean that everyone has a Private Banking account. The fact that everything is so expensive in Hong Kong doesn't help either. There are now many insanely rich Mainland Chinese that keep buying properties in Hong Kong which drive the properties prices up beyond the reach of many average Hong Kong citizens and this has been widely reported by news channels in Hong Kong.

Everything is expensive in HK? Wait till you come and live in the west, such as Australia, things are even more expensive than HK. We get 10% GST on top of that. That is precisely my point, the reason why things are cheap in Malaysia is due to the fact that the per capita income is lower and the bulk of the population aren't as rich as the developed world. HK is a developed economy and compare that to Malaysia is like comparing Malaysia to Singapore. If the bulk of the population are earning twice or thrice of what they are now, the prices and cost of living in general will go up even higher.

You can ask Melburnians here, if their property prices here are beyond reach. Anything less than 12km from the CBD is barely affordable to most people. Of course we have the luxury of land here and most people who cannot afford are being driven to the city's fringe. HK is another case because of the land shortage and in many ways the population are asking the govt for assistance. It doesn't mean they can afford less than others in the developing world.

What my point is, airlines do not look at or favour particular groups and expect them to come and fly. They look at the statistics before they engage their research. Those "observation" statistics cannot be taken into account and use as a basis for marketing exercise.

Interesting discussion why ppl fly LCC. To me simple, value for money. I can afford a $10 pencil, but I wouldn't pay for it. An excellent $1000 lens, yeah why not? :)

For MH to be competitive and profitable, besides plugging leakages, trimming staffs overburden is critical. Typically, unions are opposed to any VSS, pay increment link to productivity, cutting benefits, etc. Given unions did influenced previous management on deferring delivery of A380, joining alliance, etc and the company remain uncompetitive.

On the other hand, AK management have proven record on delivering profitable results. Believe the MH new management should be given time to prove its worth of salt.

I will do the math for you. I assume it is 5% of that population and that is a very modest estimation. 5% of the population in a country that has 20 million souls equates to 100,000. That is very little.

Which group is the group that are likely to send the kids overseas to study? So far as far as I know is the Chinese which comprised of roughly 7 million or less than 25% of the population. Realistically how many can actually send their kids overseas? 50%? 70%? - 3.5million, then again that is a very modest answer. You cannot say apply the same theory across the entire population based on your observation.

Everything is expensive in HK? Wait till you come and live in the west, such as Australia, things are even more expensive than HK. We get 10% GST on top of that. That is precisely my point, the reason why things are cheap in Malaysia is due to the fact that the per capita income is lower and the bulk of the population aren't as rich as the developed world. HK is a developed economy and compare that to Malaysia is like comparing Malaysia to Singapore. If the bulk of the population are earning twice or thrice of what they are now, the prices and cost of living in general will go up even higher.

You can ask Melburnians here, if their property prices here are beyond reach. Anything less than 12km from the CBD is barely affordable to most people. Of course we have the luxury of land here and most people who cannot afford are being driven to the city's fringe. HK is another case because of the land shortage and in many ways the population are asking the govt for assistance. It doesn't mean they can afford less than others in the developing world.

What my point is, airlines do not look at or favour particular groups and expect them to come and fly. They look at the statistics before they engage their research. Those "observation" statistics cannot be taken into account and use as a basis for marketing exercise.

Surprisingly when I was in Melbourne, just so happened to snap a photo with the local cops and he told me he used to stay in Bangsar and complained the expenses in Bangsar was very high. I replied him why would it be if you could just slash every price by three!

In fact, we don't compare by the value of the currency on the expenses, we have to compare by the ratio, ratio between the income & expenses.

Surprisingly when I was in Melbourne, just so happened to snap a photo with the local cops and he told me he used to stay in Bangsar and complained the expenses in Bangsar was very high. I replied him why would it be if you could just slash every price by three!

In fact, we don't compare by the value of the currency on the expenses, we have to compare by the ratio, ratio between the income & expenses.

Yes you are right, if you live in a country that's the income and expenses ratio will matter the most.

Unless you are content with local goods and don't travel internationally, if you live in a country with low exchange rate, any import good into the country will be really expensive along with international travel. Countries that have high exchange rate, they will be alright.

Bangsar is expensive and really it is one of the most expensive places in KL. I guess we need to compare Apple with Apple... Did the local cop complain how expensive is the most expensive places in Melbourne is? My hunch is that it is barely affordable to average Melburnians.

Edited by S V Choong

Reality check for MAS-AirAsia — The Malaysian Insider

March 17, 2012

MARCH 17 — Eight months ago, the Malaysia Airlines-AirAsia shareswap and collaboration was seen as a deal to save the loss-making flag carrier and return it to the black.

But today, the issue is beyond making MAS profitable. It really is about popular support and the coming general elections.

The deal has soured for the politicians although the bean counters believe its the best way forward for MAS, and in the long run, for the same employees who denounce it as a threat to their livelihood.

Domestic Trade Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri has reinforced Putrajaya's dim view of the shareswap and comprehensive collaboration framework (CCF) by saying the anti-competition regulators are looking into the deal inked last August 9.

His sabre rattling is a message from Putrajaya that the MAS-AirAsia deal is going to be untangled despite MAS chairman Tan Sri Md Nor Yusof's staunch defence of the deal for the carrier's long-term profitability.

It would appear that both Khazanah Nasional Berhad, MAS, AirAsia are out of sync with Putrajaya's considerations for popularity.

It doesn't help that Md Nor's view of the MAS unions could set them off on another round of undermining the deal that he thinks is best for MAS.

It doesn't help that MAS decided to cut routes, some senior staff and has plans for other cuts that have upset some politicians, staff and the people.

For that reasons, the deal is now a hot potato that needs to be disposed fast. It has to be undone for Barisan Nasional to keep its support in Selangor, Sabah and Sarawak.

There is no price too high to keep that kind of support. Even at the expense of keeping MAS flying to profitability in the long-term.

The MAS-AirAsia deal would have been ideal if the management was sensitive to the greater needs of a government facing the coming elections.

But they're focused on the bottomline of an accounts book. Putrajaya is focused on the other bottomline — winning elections.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/reality-check-for-mas-airasia-the-malaysian-insider/

Edited by BC Tam

Fools, they barely gave it time for it to work. Billions of ringgit down the drain (plus a few ringgit in their pockets) just for them to stay in power. How else are you gonna live like kings? Most of them are not qualified to get a decent job that will support their lifestyle outside of politics. Unless they are accepted onto the board of some GLC ...

MAS is one of their cash cows. How to let it go? Still can be milked for more

Fools, they barely gave it time for it to work. Billions of ringgit down the drain (plus a few ringgit in their pockets) just for them to stay in power. How else are you gonna live like kings? Most of them are not qualified to get a decent job that will support their lifestyle outside of politics. Unless they are accepted onto the board of some GLC ... MAS is one of their cash cows. How to let it go? Still can be milked for more

Like :good:

Has MAS lost millions carrying Air Asia X passengers?

Wangsa Maju MP Wee Choo Kiong has alleged that MAS carried Air Asia X passengers to London Paris Mumbai for free except for fuel charges.

More @ http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2012/03/17/has-mas-lost-millions-carrying-air-asia-x-passengers/attachment/mas-onlineticket-cropped-e1331812938319/

That's what I heard from the inside too, the only difference is that they're paying the airport tax only. This is only one of many reasons why the unions and associations are objecting the CCF.

if D7 still fly to those routes,pax have to pay for baggage allowances,meals,IFE n sitting in tight seat pitch for many hours.\

but what happened now,with NO FARE they can enjoy 20kg baggage allowance,free meals onboard,n free IFE (eventho the older n smaller version but, hey,its still free and you get it for only paying fuel surcharge!!)

its really unfair!

MH was probably looking more to the long term, competition free routes that they will enjoy from now on...

Notice that D7 did not ask MH to accommodate their now abandoned CHC route pax. Pity those who are booked on the CHC flights - they should probably just cut their losses and ask for a refund that will take months to process...

Let me get this right.

D7 sold seats for several long haul destinations that now has to be cancelled as they are not making money.

Those passengers are transferred to MH flights with D7 only paying for airpor tax/fuel, but keeping the rest of the money.

If that's true, screw D7. They are the worst bunch!