MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

It's fine for anyone to think MAS is not running as a real business, but it's not fine when one simply throws out their idea based on their "strategy" they did on Airline Management games.

Plus, the current state of MAS is different than MAS 12 months ago, and different from 36 months ago. Air Asia is in the picture, which played some role to a certain degree behind this sudden drastic cuts.

A guy from Mexico said on A.net that he thought MAS is doing great on the Kota Kinabalu/Japan sector...

What is the definition of "doing great"? Doing great because the plane is full? IS it full one-time or every flights? Has that person seen the figures?

Edited by Jim Liu

Rumors are going around that there will be a return of an European station, and KUL - Karachi will soon be operated by 737-800. Not sure how reliable this source is though

It's fine for anyone to think MAS is not running as a real business, but it's not fine when one simply throws out their idea based on their "strategy" they did on Airline Management games.

Many of us don't even play that games...

What is the definition of "doing great"? Doing great because the plane is full? IS it full one-time or every flights? Has that person seen the figures?

I assume he hasn't because he did say "i thought" and from what i saw last time when i was a regular on MH81 and MH80, MH81 had a very healthy load on the first leg of the flight (NRT-BKI) and almost everyone disembarked in BKI. Because none of us have seen the numbers, that is why i asked if anyone knows what was the load like in the past few months since MAS removed the KUL tag-on.

Whatever the number is, it still doesn't explain why OZ is doing fine with their BKI flights which rely heavily on O&D traffic too, just like it is for MAS. MAS' excuse that there simply isn't enough demand is lame and frankly, is getting old.

By the way, i am not so sure about yield is bad is really true. I think many people staying in KK know that air ticket from BKI to North Asia is always more expensive than departing from KUL. When there's a promotion, the air ticket price is the same as departing from KUL but the thing is, BKI is 1 hour - 1 hour 45 minutes nearer to North Asia compared to KUL yet the ticket from BKI is more expensive.

Certain travel agencies in Kota Kinabalu such as AirWorld uses MAS service exclusively for their tour group to South Korea. Now that MAS is withdrawing from BKI/ICN, it will just make OZ flights even more packed than it already is.

Edited by Isaac

Rumors are going around that there will be a return of an European station, and KUL - Karachi will soon be operated by 737-800. Not sure how reliable this source is though

ZRH? As for the KHI route, MH must really increase the pitch in Y. It is a pain to do one that far in a full Y cabin of MH's 738.

The govt strikes again!

And MH may bleed more...

WTH???!!! Flip flopping to the extreme.

And recall that a certain board member was passing judgement about confused puppies just a few days ago :p

From a MH spy:

Arahan PM la kot yang boleh jadi macam tu.

Or CCF tu tak valid.

But must be someone yang very powerful suruh reinstate.

Last month ada meeting dengan orang sana minta MH kembali ke ZRH.

I can't imagine how chaotic it will be if the Securities Commission and Bursa Malaysia deem this whole CCF is not valid after wrapping up their investigation of the alleged insider's trading issue.

KHI on the 737-800 is a bit of a stretch. As it is, they are struggling with the DEL sectors and incidents where bags have to be unloaded are not uncommon. Unlikely in my opinion.

Drama menjadi semakin panas!

So we will wait till Monday to hear new news about this.

BTW, Kota Kinabalu (BKI) hub remain close (from Feb 12) as mention before?

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

If MH concede KUL-DXB to EK, means MH management either view EK a formidable competitor, give chance to EK to success or refrained from compete with EK, which may imply MH will compete on Kangaroo route half heartedly.

If MH concede KUL-DXB to EK, ..... which may imply MH will compete on Kangaroo route half heartedly.

Could be they are reverting to the old style thinking that if you cut off/reduce frequencies to DXB, then it will be less chance of people connecting onto EK's network :pardon:

That was the mentality with regard to access to SIN from Malaysian Borneo in the past :D

To be fair MAR, it is not "flip-flopping" because this isn't really public information :D

It is flip-flopping to certain extend for some people who are trying to book flights if the paper didn't report it, or myself pay attention to it.

or may be the airline got caught off guard for closing reservations before major announcement regarding this matter.

For now, yes. MH just haven't finish cleaning up the inventory for BKI HND/KIX/ICN route.

Edited by Jim Liu

looks likely too thatMH is dropping Dubai and South Africa - and these routes will be taken over by Air Asia X - as have been suggested even by Dr M himself on "asking" AK to fly to Africa. Also actually MH limited flights n low yields to US West n East Coast can be dropped too.

Drama menjadi semakin panas!

So we will wait till Monday to hear new news about this.

Non-stop flights from BKI to HND and KIX have all been taken out of the reservation system but ICN is still bookable for travel dates from March 2012 and beyond. I guess this is because the BKI/ICN flights are code-share flights with KE, so MAS can't simply cancel the route. They will need to sort things out with KE first.

With EK providing A380 on DBX - KUL route, who would want to travel on MH? Not unless connecting flight by transiting in KUL.

MAS really need to work on how to get all the connecting traffics from the Middle-east. Both CX and TG both are still flying to DXB from their respective hubs and the plane deployed to DXB is offering a substandard cabin products compared to EK but they are still making money at DXB :D

Connecting traffics may be very low yielding but many airlines still make loads of money out of connecting passengers :pardon:

looks likely too thatMH is dropping Dubai and South Africa - and these routes will be taken over by Air Asia X - as have been suggested even by Dr M himself on "asking" AK to fly to Africa. Also actually MH limited flights n low yields to US West n East Coast can be dropped too.

It's like every route operated by MH has to be dropped and transfer to AK.

There must be reasons that people don't fly MH and MH should find out what the reasons are and take wise actions. Not sure if TF is smart enough to identify.

MH doesn't earn much revenue from a single point, or point to point. Says from DBX to KUL and all passengers dropped in KUL and travelled in Malaysia. Most likely DBX - KUL - Australia destinations, etc. Hence, the transit time must be short, frequency must be sufficient to accommodate the travellers' needs. Most importantly, KUL needs to be posed as a good and world class hub for passengers' comfort during the transit time.