MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

They do not have the planes to fly these routes at the moment. Only the A340s can do this route and they are both used for the ORY and LGW routes already. So no spare aircraft that is capable.

I don't think they want to lease the B744 from PMB!

Hello? No more spaces to accommodate the aircraft in LCCT ... Just wait for KLIA2 completion.

Hello? No more spaces to accommodate the aircraft in LCCT ... Just wait for KLIA2 completion.

Yes, and that too.

Currently they are already encroaching on the cargo parking aprons. That is why they delayed the delivery of A330-300s for 2011 (they were due to have 6 deliveries). Even for next year, they plan to take some A330-200s in the second half of the year to replace the fuel guzzling A340s. The A340s will be returned to the owners once the new A330-200s enter into service.

I do not think that D7 have the capability to fly any new long haul routes anytime soon.

Edited by flee

BKI HND, BKI ICN is to be axed from 01FEB12. Currently waiting for MH to Zero out every class of service. Currently some dates after 01FEB12 showing J/Y/B/H available but the rest is closed.

Shame on BKI/HND being axed but not BKI/ICN. I hope with MAS giving up on BKI/ICN, OZ will finally increase their frequency from the current 4x weekly to daily and BKI will no longer be a seasonal destination for KE :D

Again, it is just so funny that other airlines manage to do very fine on the same route that MAS is reporting a loss (i assume MAS is losing money on BKI/ICN since it's being cut). OZ, being an airline based in South Korea has far higher operating cost than MAS yet they manage to make BKI work but MAS can't :rolleyes:

Shame on BKI/HND being axed but not BKI/ICN. I hope with MAS giving up on BKI/ICN, OZ will finally increase their frequency from the current 4x weekly to daily and BKI will no longer be a seasonal destination for KE :D

Again, it is just so funny that other airlines manage to do very fine on the same route that MAS is reporting a loss (i assume MAS is losing money on BKI/ICN since it's being cut). OZ, being an airline based in South Korea has far higher operating cost than MAS yet they manage to make BKI work but MAS can't :rolleyes:

I think it's different in terms that people would travel on OZ and transit at ICN to BKI or other destination. However, if people are to travel on MH, they are unlikely to transit to other destination from BKI since BKI does not pose a very good hub like ICN or KUL.

With hindsight, I suppose it was just a matter of time for ICN, KIX and NRT/HND routes to be dropped from BKI ever since those were dropped as a tag-on to KUL services

After years and years of trying but still struggling on twice weekly frequencies, I suppose they finally faced up to reality :D

If BKI is to succeed as a hub in East Malaysia/Borneo, I think that they need to really focus on that by having the management team stationed over there. They cannot manage via remore control. Perhaps they will revisit this BKI hub idea again once MH has recovered and is stronger. ;)

If BKI is to succeed as a hub in East Malaysia/Borneo, I think that they need to really focus on that by having the management team stationed over there. They cannot manage via remore control. Perhaps they will revisit this BKI hub idea again once MH has recovered and is stronger. ;)

The question is would they recovered after series of such ridiculous and nonsense drama..

I think it's different in terms that people would travel on OZ and transit at ICN to BKI or other destination. However, if people are to travel on MH, they are unlikely to transit to other destination from BKI since BKI does not pose a very good hub like ICN or KUL.

This is true for BKI/SIN sector. Last time i flew MI to SIN, there were indeed many connecting passengers on that flight. Most of them were angmoh going to Europe and Australia. Same on the return flight. There were many angmoh too.

However, it is a complete different scenario on OZ. I know that the Korean population in Sabah has grown tremendously over the last few years. As a matter of fact, i think there are more Korean in Sabah now than Japanese. Despite so, i wasn't aware just how big the O&D traffic between BKI/ICN is until i flew OZ.

1. On my OZ flight to ICN a month ago, i was the only Malaysian onboard. There was another Japanese couple and they were the only transit passengers on that flight. The rest of the passengers were all Korean and all of them disembarked in ICN.

2. This OZ flight to ICN was operated by an 321 with 177 seats and there were about 10 empty seats.

~ On my OZ flight back to BKI, there were only three Malaysians onboard. There were also about 10 angmoh. All of them came from the States on UA (saw it on their luggage tags, my luggage always came in last :angry2: ). And just like my previous OZ flight, the rest of the passengers were Korean.

~ This OZ flight to BKI too, was operated by an 321 with 177 seats and there was not a single empty seats, not even in Business Class. Saw this myself because i was the last to board.

So, no. OZ's BKI operation focus mainly on O&D traffic which MAS can't seem to make it work. But then, when you think about it, this is not the only route that other airlines are making money but MAS couldn't :D

By the way, i was informed by the Asiana staff in BKI that winter and summer are the peak seasons for their flights between BKI/ICN. When i flew them early last month, it was still considered low season yet their flights were full. Good for them :drinks:

Edited by Isaac

The question is would they recovered after series of such ridiculous and nonsense drama..

Well its not about making popular decisions that will make MH turnaround - I believe there are more unpopular decisions that need to be taken rather than popular ones. MH needs to swallow the bitter pill. Not many people like that.

Now we just have to wait and see if the new management has the balls to tell everyone (politicians, keyboard warriors, staff, etc.) to butt out while they sort the mess out.

If they are successful, we will see a renaissance. If they are not, then the blame will start to be apportioned!

This is true for BKI/SIN sector. Last time i flew MI to SIN, there were indeed many connecting passengers on that flight. Most of them were angmoh going to Europe and Australia. Same on the return flight. There were many angmoh too.

However, it is a complete different scenario on OZ. I know that the Korean population in Sabah has grown tremendously over the last few years. As a matter of fact, i think there are more Korean in Sabah now than Japanese. Despite so, i wasn't aware just how big the O&D traffic between BKI/ICN is until i flew OZ.

1. On my OZ flight to ICN a month ago, i was the only Malaysian onboard. There was another Japanese couple and they were the only transit passengers on that flight. The rest of the passengers were all Korean and all of them disembarked in ICN.

2. This OZ flight to ICN was operated by an 321 with 177 seats and there were about 10 empty seats.

A) On my OZ flight back to BKI, there were only three Malaysians onboard. There were also about 10 angmoh. All of them came from the States on UA (saw it on their luggage tags, my luggage always came in last :angry2: ). And just like my previous OZ flight, the rest of the passengers were Korean.

B) This OZ flight to BKI too, was operated by an 321 with 177 seats and there was not a single empty seats, not even in Business Class. Saw this myself because i was the last to board.

So, no. OZ's BKI operation focus mainly on O&D traffic which MAS can't seem to make it work. But then, when you think about it, this is not the only route that other airlines are making money but MAS couldn't :D

Another thing that I don't understand is how can they do daily KCH - BKI - HKG sector while the passengers embarked from KCH to HKG or vice verse were really scarce... sometimes even only one passenger disembarked in KCH from HKG... more passengers transited in BKI to KIX from KCH than passengers did in BKI to HKG from KCH. That's so weird.

Looks like with current drama, more and more planes are going to be sitting idle and doing nothing; unless they make announcement on new routes which appear to be more viable to them, the size are simply getting smaller and smaller...To me, pricing, hardware and timing is on almost equal weight although price still is the priority...

Dear MAS,

I would love to see you go back into profitability, so the cuts are necessary, even if its at the expense of the connectivity of its passengers. There seems no way else to go from where you are now, won't you think so ? You have got into too much of a mess. TF aside, I think some unpopular decisions have to be made like these to ascertain your future, which otherwise might bleed even more. Perhaps, after this clean up and restructuring, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel :pardon: and find solace in the new team, hopefully with no hidden agenda. Then on, you should survive independently without any interference nor assistance, from you know who. I think you have a good image that is still salvageable. Despite my annoyance with you right now (Enrich inefficiencies), I still have little hope that you have something to offer that other airlines' don't. Just buck up big time on your product offerings and maintain a good and consistent cabin service always and you will surely go far MAS. Leave the pride issues aside and move on to the higher levels, where you should be. :rolleyes:

I think you deserve this chance, big time and it's about time :clapping:

From a Loyal yet Disappointed Customer :blink:

I also have a feeling that they will accelerate the retirement of the B734s and B744s next year.

But one of my spy says otherwise:

MH tak boleh phase out semua kapal lama 330 and 734 sebab ada lease agreement dengan PMB, so kena tunggu sampai tamat kalau tak nak bayar penalty. Dengar kata not this year, ada lebih kurang 2 years lagi.

We have heard about the size cut, route cut, fleet cut, HQ cut, hub cut, the biggest question is - when are we going to hear about the manpower cut? How many '000 employees that MH is going to wipe out? Is MH going to retain its 20,000 staff in its shrinking state?

Is cutting routes the only thing they know to do? They should redeploy them to other routes. Worst is the planes sitting idly on the ground. I will like it if they increase the frequency KL-Perth to twice daily each day.

MH now has rights to 4 flights per week to HND (currently flying from BKI on a B738). I wonder if they will operate these flights from KUL now - a new A333 servicing KUL-HND would be pretty attractive, won't it?

Worst is the planes sitting idly on the ground.

Ryanair does this every winter because parking the unused planes is still cheaper than flying them! So don't be surprised if MH does the same.

MH tak boleh phase out semua kapal lama 330 and 734 sebab ada lease agreement dengan PMB, so kena tunggu sampai tamat kalau tak nak bayar penalty. Dengar kata not this year, ada lebih kurang 2 years lagi.

If the leases are with PMB, then it should be less of a problem. Paying a penalty is also not a problem, if the penalty payments are less than losses that will be incurred if MH continues to operate the aircraft.

Edited by flee

MH now has rights to 4 flights per week to HND (currently flying from BKI on a B738). I wonder if they will operate these flights from KUL now - a new A333 servicing KUL-HND would be pretty attractive, won't it?

Or if they are desperate for cash, they should sell the rights to D7, thus enabling D7 to offer daily flight on KUL-HND vv. That makes a more interesting proposition rather than having MH to start a new route 4 times a week (KUL-HND vv) and still maintaining its almost twice daily flight KUL-NRT vv. MH is no SQ in the Japanese market.

Or if they are desperate for cash, they should sell the rights to D7, thus enabling D7 to offer daily flight on KUL-HND vv. That makes a more interesting proposition rather than having MH to start a new route 4 times a week (KUL-HND vv) and still maintaining its almost twice daily flight KUL-NRT vv. MH is no SQ in the Japanese market.

Yes, that sale of rights to D7 is also another possible scenario. Alternatively, D7 could sell its rights to MH and focus on operating out of NRT with its stablemate AirAsia Japan.

HND is becoming a premium destination for international airlines - many of them charge higher fares for flights landing in HND as it is cheaper and more convenient to get to the centre of Tokyo from HND compared to NRT. So MH may be able to charge higher fares for flights landing in HND, thus improving yields.

Or maybe a swap of Japanese hub between the two? MH surrenders all NRT rights to D7 in return of the remaining 3 weekly rights in HND. MH will get to fly daily on KUL-HND vv while D7 can start nurturing KUL-NRT vv in view of its upcoming associate AirAsia Japan that is going to be hub there. Yes I do realise that exchanging 14 weekly NRT rights with 3 weekly HND rights does not seem fair, but hey, MH is desperate and is the one losing money.

Is cutting routes the only thing they know to do? They should redeploy them to other routes. Worst is the planes sitting idly on the ground. I will like it if they increase the frequency KL-Perth to twice daily each day.

MAS is a real business, not those airline management game you play on your computer or mobile devices. You don't simply cut a route and redeploy them to another route right away without extensive research.

Highlights of the restructuring are as follows.

•Kota Kinbalu removed from hub status. BKI - Seoul Incheon and BKI - Tokyo Haneda to be cancelled from and respectively.

•Dubai - All flights cancelled from 13th January 2012. MH162/3 ( 3 weekly, 332 ) KUL - Dubai nonstop flight is cancelled from 15th November 2011, while MH160/1 (2xW, 330) KUL - Karachi - Dubai service gets terminated from 1st December 2011. MH154/5 (2xW, 330) KUL - Dubai - Dammam service will finally cease on 13th January 2012. On another note, Emirates Airline is beginning Airbus A380 service into KUL from 1st January 2012.

•According to the above, service to Karachi and Dammam too, will be cancelled from the same dates.

•MH203/4 (3xW, 772) KUL - Johannesburg service suspended from 1st February 2012.

•MH201/2 (2xW, 744) KUL - Cape Town - Buenos Aires service suspended from 1st February 2012. The cancellation of this route is quite significant as the carrier held on to this route even during worst economic periods in Argentina. However the route must have suffered from the regulatory hurdles which limited it to a twice weekly only service.

•Beginning 2nd July 2012, the airline will be launching Airbus A380 service to London Heathrow on flight MH002/3. Initially operating thrice weekly, it will increase to daily from 15th August 2012.

•It is also expected that the airline will launch flights to Abu Dhabi, soon.

This sees Malaysia Airlines becoming a four-continent airline and is another airline leaving the six-continent club.

source:http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-networker/2011/11/malaysia-airlines-network-restructuring-in-early-2012.html

MAS is a real business, not those airline management game you play on your computer or mobile devices. You don't simply cut a route and redeploy them to another route right away without extensive research.

based on the decisions made by the various Management teams at MAS over the last decade or so, i wonder if they do any extensive research at all...

Edited by Ken K. Kour

A guy from Mexico said on A.net that he thought MAS is doing great on the Kota Kinabalu/Japan sector which reminds me that when MH81 & MH80 (NRT-BKI-KUL-BKI-NRT) were still operated by 772, the load on MH81 (NRT-BKI) was actually quite good and the flight was rather full all the time. I took MH81 and MH80 once a month between year 2002 - 2008 and from my observation is that almost all the passengers on MH81 (NRT-BKI) disembarked in BKI, leaving the last leg of the flight (MH81 BKI-KUL) virtually empty all the time. This is an indication that there is actually a strong O&D traffic between BKI and NRT.

Anyone knows how is the load for BKI/HND in the past few months ?

MAS is a real business, .....

You kidding right ?! :p

You don't simply cut a route and redeploy them to another route right away without extensive research.

Here they go one step further - they set up subsidiary 'to effectively compete' and obediently shut that down when the competitor says 'be rational lah'

Furthermore, billions and years is spent rebuilding an airport for 'secondary hub' operations (that by itself is of humour value already) only to decide at this late stage that it "was not a strategic move in the first place"

What research ?! :p