MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

It would appear that MH might have had second thoughts on their new short haul regional carrier.

I think that it is probably not a good thing to start something now as it will divert management attention on the core problems. Besides, you do not really want to fragment the brand recognition of the mainline carrier.

MH should just focus on its own rebranding - perhaps accelerate the repainting of all old aircraft to the new livery, reconfigure the aircraft for an updated product and fire up the marketing machine. Given the numbers involved, this may take more than one year to complete!

“This is essential since the airline wants to get back to offering full premium services or it would always be known as a second-tier premium carrier,” said a source.

Finally out of syok sendiri 5 star syndrome :good:

It would appear that MH might have had second thoughts on their new short haul regional carrier.

I think that it is probably not a good thing to start something now as it will divert management attention on the core problems. Besides, you do not really want to fragment the brand recognition of the mainline carrier.

MH should just focus on its own rebranding - perhaps accelerate the repainting of all old aircraft to the new livery, reconfigure the aircraft for an updated product and fire up the marketing machine. Given the numbers involved, this may take more than one year to complete!

Besides the above, a massive spring cleaning of the staff needs to be done....throw out the rotten ones......screw the unions.....n...perhaps something good will come out of this thing else I still think MH will continue to bleed from year to year......

......screw the unions.....

Be careful of what you're saying, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Be careful of what you're saying, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Mind explaining to me more in detail here......what I mentioned is if the Unions keep asking for too much and not giving back the work it is suppose to give, then why should MH or anyone for that matter listen to them.....from my point of view (which is just a normal rakyat), it seems at times they are asking too much.........

One exp: everytime when the plane lands and taxi to dock into the aerobridge, i can see the ground staff waiting for the plane to dock properly....however if you observe carefully, the way they bring themselves and the grooming leaves much to be desired......u can see them slouching, shirt not tucked properly, untidy overall appearance.....to me this is the 1st look of a visitor to the rakyat when they land n sometimes I think they need better grooming and so on to be at least presentable......well like i said before, it takes 2 hands to clap....so the unions n the airlines need to slog it out and come to an understanding.....

I have frens working for the golden goose airline n they tell me those who are active (meaning holding post and goin around getting more ppl to join them) in the unions are mostly those who can just sail thru their day to day job and responsibilty .....which is why they need to unions

There are more than 1 unions or associations representing the thousands working with MH. Are you saying to "screw them all" based on what you saw and what someone told you? Do you know the details of the negotiations between the unions and the company? Capt Radzi gave good advice but obviously you know more than him. There is a documentary by Michael Moore about capitalism and in one segment it highlighted the connection between the pilots (in the USA), Unions and airline management,maybe you should have a look.

There are more than 1 unions or associations representing the thousands working with MH. Are you saying to "screw them all" based on what you saw and what someone told you? Do you know the details of the negotiations between the unions and the company? Capt Radzi gave good advice but obviously you know more than him. There is a documentary by Michael Moore about capitalism and in one segment it highlighted the connection between the pilots (in the USA), Unions and airline management,maybe you should have a look.

Ahmad, I'm sayin...by alll means negotiate but if those unions or some of them are too hard headed.......MH should be firm.....I dont know wht's goin on in the negotiations bet MH n the unions but let me put it this way, both unions n MH or employers have their own agenda and with that they need to come to an understanding that not all things/demands can be met.

No I don't know more than Capt Radzi here but what I said is based on what I observe and what was told to me by my frens workin down south in the Golden Goose airline and some in MH

I know someone who used to work in the bank and I have seen how the unions act for their members.....enough said.....

The unions are probably very afraid that they will be made irrelevant if MH follows AKs style of looking after their employees. The unions feel threatened - some evidence that MH is not as productive as it should be, given the numbers that are employed in that organisation.

Whatever it is, the new management will have to come to grips with all the company's problems. They must, if they are to turn the company's fortunes around.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Competitions Commission will carry out an in-depth study on the collaborative framework between Malaysia Airlines (MAS), its subsidiary Firefly and AirAsia to ensure no anti-competition aspects in the agreement.

Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the study would be carried out once the terms and conditions of the agreement are finalised next month.

"The Commission has the power to make a final decision and the government will have no power to intervene," he said when debating the 2012 Supply Bill in Parliament on Monday.

Ismail Sabri said since the matter was under the purview of the commission, he was confident that they (commission) would act accordingly.

He said there was no law in the country to prevent a merger and acquisition by anybody.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/11/1/nation/20111101102924&sec=nation

some move being taken now.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Competitions Commission will carry out an in-depth study on the collaborative framework between Malaysia Airlines (MAS), its subsidiary Firefly and AirAsia to ensure no anti-competition aspects in the agreement.

Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the study would be carried out once the terms and conditions of the agreement are finalised next month.

"The Commission has the power to make a final decision and the government will have no power to intervene," he said when debating the 2012 Supply Bill in Parliament on Monday.

Ismail Sabri said since the matter was under the purview of the commission, he was confident that they (commission) would act accordingly.

He said there was no law in the country to prevent a merger and acquisition by anybody.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/11/1/nation/20111101102924&sec=nation

The announcement was made on 09AUG and only now someone has decided to study to "ensure no anti-competition aspects in the agreement"???

The announcement was made on 09AUG and only now someone has decided to study to "ensure no anti-competition aspects in the agreement"???

As usual, they make a decision first and think later..not think first and finally make a desicion. :D

As usual, they make a decision first and think later..not think first and finally make a desicion. :D

To be fair, "they" who made the decision (to form collaborative framework) and 'they' who are going to going to reach a decision (whether there are any anti-competitive elements in said framework) are different and distinct entities from each other (supposedly, at least) :D

They thought about it and it's pretty hard to understand what's on their mind.

I think the August announcement was a panic measure in view of MH's half billion losses. They made the announcement in the hope that the share price will not crash.

Till now, the legal agreement has not been inked. The Commission can only scrutinise the deal only after the agreement is signed. As this is a complex thing, it is taking some time. The previous management committee (and I am sure the new management too) have already stated that they have to work within international anti trust laws.

As such I think that this is just a natural progression on the matter. We now wait for MH and AK to announce what this collaboration agreement really is once they have thrashed out all the details.

Maybe the conclusion is not anti-competition / anti-trust, if yes, I think it shall represent a slap on the MOT / government as the biggest shareholders of MH belong to government...(though many people don't like the current change of shutting down the Orange Jets)...

It has been nearly 3 months and except for killing FY jet operation, I have yet to see anything remotely 'interesting' in this swap

It has been nearly 3 months and except for killing FY jet operation, I have yet to see anything remotely 'interesting' in this swap

Well, just wait and see... It's still early to count the chicken while it's at preliminary stage.

Well, just wait and see... It's still early to count the chicken while it's at preliminary stage.

The whole of MAS will be waiting in anticipation for tomorrow's Town Hall meeting at MAS Academy with AJ. Tony Fernandes will also make an appearance so I expect it's going to be a full house. Hopefully they will flesh out a clearer picture on future plans because if they don't, then there's going to be an auditorium full of unhappy people.

Not sure this has been posted before, I found this press release on MH's website:

Malaysia Airlines Takes Over Firefly's Jet Services

BackOct 18, 2011

SUBANG, Tuesday, 18 October 2011- Malaysia Airlines Group has embarked on a network rationalization programme, which will see its subsidiary, Firefly, concentrating on serving short-haul turboprop operations, while its parent Malaysia Airlines, will focus on enhancing its premium full-service offering. Firefly’s turboprop operations will remain unaffected by this exercise.

The takeover of Firefly jet services by Malaysia Airlines Group is part of the service separation plans under the business realignment exercise which addresses the continuing heavy losses being incurred by Firefly jet operations.

“The takeover of jet services is an important part of Malaysia Airlines Group’s business realignment exercise and is prompted by the need to address network and fleet restructuring plans for short-haul jet services. With the consolidation of Firefly’s jet operations under the Group, Malaysia Airlines will focus on the business of growing our premium full-service segment,” said MAS Group CEO, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.

The programme will be undertaken over a two-month period, on a sector-by-sector basis, and will result in all Firefly jet aircraft being redeployed into Malaysia Airlines’ operations by December 4, 2011.

“Malaysia Airlines Group remains committed to Sabah and Sarawak and will continue to operate all services to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching. In addition, MAS Wings will also continue to operate all flights to the other points within Sabah and Sarawak that are currently being served,” he added.

Firefly’s turboprop operations out of Subang and Penang Airports will be strengthened with the recent delivery of two additional turboprop aircraft. These aircraft will enable Firefly to reinstate services between Subang – Kuantan – Subang and also provide capacity to increase frequency of services on existing routes.

Malaysia Airlines Group deeply regrets any inconvenience caused to passengers of Firefly Jet services affected by this network rationalization programme and gives its fullest assurance to passengers that it will honour all jet flight seats sold on Firefly.

The Group is committed to minimizing the impact of any disruptions to the travel plans of Firefly jet passengers and will reassign all those affected to equivalent flights or better, at no additional cost, to ensure they reach their intended destinations.

Passengers with queries related to bookings or reservations on Firefly can write to customer_care@fireflyz.com.my with their booking confirmation number and flight details, or call +603-7845 4543 or visit www.fireflyz.com.my for more information.

Issued by:

Media Relations Unit/Communications Division, Malaysia Airlines, Subang

Source: http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/news.ihtml/id/273125

This is really ironic, few months back they were all jovial that there is a new airline, stating offering more benefits and choice for travellers. Even though the reality is opposite. Based on the press release, they used words: "....which addresses the continuing heavy losses being incurred by Firefly jet operations"

After MD/CEO MAS, now turn CFO to leave MAS.

Malaysia Airlines CFO to end tenure on Dec 31

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 1): MALAYSIAN AIRLINE SYSTEM BHD (MAS) chief financial officer Mohd Azha Abdul Jalil is resigning from the national carrier after a 4 ½ year stint to pursue new challenges and personal goals.

MAS said on Tuesday he would remain in the company until Dec 31, 2011 to ensure a smooth handover for seamless business continuity.

He joined MAS in July 2007 as senior general manager – finance, and contributed significantly to implementation of its business transformation plan since January 2008. He was appointed CFO in September 2009.

“Among his achievements in the national carrier were consolidating and outsourcing of the Europe finance back-office in 2007, and raising RM2.7 billion for the Company through a rights issue in 2010.

“Mohd Azha has been instrumental in raising aircraft financing worth approximately RM4 billion for 36 various new aircraft under the fleet renewal programme of which Malaysia Airlines took delivery of its first new aircraft in late 2008.

“Mohd Azha is also responsible for implementing an integrated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system which will cut-over from the start of 2012,” it said.

Prior to joining MAS, he worked in a major oil and gas company for 17 years.

Source : http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/business-news/195506-malaysia-airlines-cfo-to-end-tenure-on-dec-31.html

..... 36 various new aircraft under the fleet renewal programme of which Malaysia Airlines took delivery of its first new aircraft in late 2008.

Wow, has it really been 3 years since those new 33E and 738 arrived ? :rolleyes:

How time flies, seem like only a few months :lol:

Wow, has it really been 3 years since those new 33E and 738 arrived ? :rolleyes:

How time flies, seem like only a few months :lol:

Wait a minute, didn't the 738s come in last year? If I recall, it was right about this time last year.

The MH leased B738 (MLA,MLB) arrived about 3 years ago. Their owned B738 (MXA) arrived about a year ago. The new A33E (MTA) arrived earlier this year.

MAS-AirAsia Deal Will Not Violate Anti-trust Law, Says Rafidah

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 (Bernama) -- AirAsia X Bhd chairman, Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz, said the tie-up between MAS and AirAsia Bhd will not result in monopolistic practices between the two carriers following their share-swap exercise.

She also said the share-swap would not result in any behaviour that would violate anti-trust laws.

"We (AirAsia and MAS) are guided by strict anti-trust laws overseas and in Malaysia when the competition laws come into force next year.

"We'll never be able to do anything that violates any anti-trust laws," she told a media briefing on the Malaysia-Europe Forum's Roundtable here.

The Malaysian Competition Commission is currently reviewing the possible impact of the MAS-AirAsia collaboration on the local market, and would advise both airlines on all possible areas.

She said the collaboration may result in cost-cutting for both airlines and it would be beneficial for passengers and customers as they could give better services.

Rafidah said the MAS management must continuously hold dialogues with all levels of its workforce through its unions.

"This is to explain in detail what's happening and what's going to happen, particularly to the employees, and the areas of cost-saving which will translate into benefits," she said.

The Malaysian Airlines System Employees Union (MASEU) has expressed dissatisfaction over the explanation given by the management on the collaboration.

MASEU had decided to write to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and wanted to meet him to convey their views and opposition to the collaboration.

It was also reported recently that the International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF) has urged the Malaysian government to ensure that workers' rights were preserved in any future collaboration between the two airlines.