MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

2 Daily Emirates A380 to Kuala Lumpur from 1 July 2016

3 years overdue since the work for the expansion of A380 KLIA completed. Hope that MAHB will replace the ugly smarties sofas at upper level lounge for C17/C27/C37.

It's really sad. While EK is already moving towards sending the A380 to KUL...MH is still using the ancient A330, and can't even sustain a daily direct flight. <_>

It seems like they have given up fighting against the Arab giant. Just let the giant stomps them all over. Better deploy their few resources elsewhere.

It seems like they have given up fighting against the Arab giant. Just let the giant stomps them all over. Better deploy their few resources elsewhere.

Agree. With 90 A380s coming along and God-knows how many hundreds A350s and B787s, EK will kill every single airline virtually.

Well it is strange that the Malaysian govt. does not protect MH from the EK competition, yet on other routes, it severely limits other airlines from operating. Maybe EK should apply for KUL-SYD rights too! ;)

Well it is strange that the Malaysian govt. does not protect MH from the EK competition, yet on other routes, it severely limits other airlines from operating. Maybe EK should apply for KUL-SYD rights too! ;)

Like a Malay saying pilih bulu (or pilih kasih)

They have two flights to MEL. One is routed via KUL, the other direct and extends on to AKL.

They have x3 Daily flights ex MEL

DXB-MEL-AKL

DXB-SIN-MEL

DXB-KUL-MEL

All operated with 77W equipment, but as mentioned, the DXB-KUL-MEL will get First suites instead of standard F soon. I thought the KUL leg was only temporary due to the arrival of both EY & QR into MEL and loads were lacking abit, but looks like it's doing quite well on KUL-MEL admits competition from MH & D7.

Malaysian love going to Melbourne? Is that why there's so much demand KUL-MEL? MH mentioned MEL as a possible A380 destination, what are the chances of seeing EK sending theirs on the route?

To answer questions on MH not being able to fill up its DXB service, I think we have to renind ourselves that it's safe to say that 70% of traffic in DXB is EK traffic. Also, EK is a non-allianced member, therefore making DXB an exclusive EK haven. Dubai is a giant construction-site. A good chunk of its slightly over 1 million inhabitants are foreign workers from the sub-continent and the super rich who would probably not want to spend a holiday in Europe, probably not M'sia given that its not a magnet for these high-flyers. Most DXB bound passengers are transit passengers. DXB is superbly located between Europe and Asia and you can pretty much reach every corner of the Earth from DXB. Thus, MH services to DXB would be for terminating passengers, where again the market is very small. EK can sustain 3 daily flights because MH has a lauzy network beyond Asia, and EKs reach is far more extensive. Futhermore, some of EKs flights originate from MEL, attracted more passangers travelling onwards to Europe. Also, M'sia does attract Arab businessmen and tourist who would naturally use DXB as a springboard to go elsewhere beyond the ME. Also, perhaps at a more micro level, passengers are simply drawn by EKs much newer aircraft and MHs ultra-outdated hardware. Having said that, SQ also shuns these ME routes with old aircraft for similar reasons due to smaller yields as it simply cannot compete with the ME big-boys, although they're slowly being replaced with the A333s and refurbished B773s (EY, EK & QR) However, the gap between the EK and SQ product vs the EK and MH product is much smaller. Of course, SQ is a much more widely known entity in the world outside SEA, in part due to SQs more aggressive adevertising and so on. Frankly, I don't think DXB is a huge loss to MH, but what is more shocking is that it is rather lacking on services to the ME on a whole, when M'sia does attract travellers from this part of world.

MH HAS daily flights to DXB or at least 6x per week. It's just that most of those flights are via Karachi or carry-on to other ME destinations. Check the MH website.

MH has 7 weekly flights to DXB, but no flight on day 3 (Wed) and 6 (Sat) but instead they have 2 flights on day 2 (Tue) and 5 (Fri) one of which goes non stop, the other stops in KHI.

1 4 1225X1720U MH160 330 CY 1 STOP

- - 2 5 7 1400X1700U MH162 332 CY NONSTOP

2 5 2359X0300*U MH154 332 CY NONSTOP

Like a Malay saying pilih bulu (or pilih kasih)

Also could be due to the old Malay hasad dengki syndrome that cannot stand one of its own succeed, they rather see others triumph but as long as it is not one of their own (in this case it's D7).

To answer questions on MH not being able to fill up its DXB service, I think we have to renind ourselves that it's safe to say that 70% of traffic in DXB is EK traffic. Also, EK is a non-allianced member, therefore making DXB an exclusive EK haven. Dubai is a giant construction-site. A good chunk of its slightly over 1 million inhabitants are foreign workers from the sub-continent and the super rich who would probably not want to spend a holiday in Europe, probably not M'sia given that its not a magnet for these high-flyers. Most DXB bound passengers are transit passengers. DXB is superbly located between Europe and Asia and you can pretty much reach every corner of the Earth from DXB. Thus, MH services to DXB would be for terminating passengers, where again the market is very small. EK can sustain 3 daily flights because MH has a lauzy network beyond Asia, and EKs reach is far more extensive. Futhermore, some of EKs flights originate from MEL, attracted more passangers travelling onwards to Europe. Also, M'sia does attract Arab businessmen and tourist who would naturally use DXB as a springboard to go elsewhere beyond the ME. Also, perhaps at a more micro level, passengers are simply drawn by EKs much newer aircraft and MHs ultra-outdated hardware. Having said that, SQ also shuns these ME routes with old aircraft for similar reasons due to smaller yields as it simply cannot compete with the ME big-boys, although they're slowly being replaced with the A333s and refurbished B773s (EY, EK & QR) However, the gap between the EK and SQ product vs the EK and MH product is much smaller. Of course, SQ is a much more widely known entity in the world outside SEA, in part due to SQs more aggressive adevertising and so on. Frankly, I don't think DXB is a huge loss to MH, but what is more shocking is that it is rather lacking on services to the ME on a whole, when M'sia does attract travellers from this part of world.

As there are thousands of Philippino, Indonesians, Aussis working in DXB. What MH about connecting pax from DXB to MNL, CGK, SYD, MEL, PER?

Here's the link.....

http://bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=604081

July 26, 2011 21:38 PM

Emirates To Operate Scheduled A380 Services To Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, July 26 (Bernama) -- Emirates, the Dubai-based international airline, continues to expand its list of Airbus A380 destinations, with Kuala Lumpur set to welcome the superjumbo on Dec 1, 2011.

In what will be the first scheduled A380 service to Malaysia by any airline, Emirates' flagship aircraft will operate as EK346 departing Dubai at 0405hrs and arriving in Kuala Lumpur at 1455hrs on the same day.

The return leg, EK347, will depart Kuala Lumpur at 1930hrs arriving in Dubai at 2230hrs.

"The United Arab Emirates is a leading trading partner with Malaysia and over the last 15 years Emirates has played its part as the bridge between these two countries.

"Emirates has always been committed to Malaysia and the launch of the A380 on the route follows strong and increasing demand, not just from business travellers, but leisure travellers as well, boosting Malaysian tourism," said Richard Jewsbury, Emirates' Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations Far East & Australasia, in a statement.

"I would like to express my gratitude to Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha, Minister of Transport, Datuk Sri Dr Ng Yen Yen, Minister of Tourism, and Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad, Managing Director, Malaysian Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), all of who have supported Emirates over the years and made this A380 launch possible," he added.

Meanwhile, Bashir said: "We are pleased to welcome the largest passenger aircraft in the world to KLIA. This is an important milestone for us to further reinforce our position as a world class international hub.

-- BERNAMA

The flight has been uploaded and can be booked now. A return trip on EK A380 KUL-DXB vv in the Economy Class costs RM 3,015 all inclusive.

EKA380KUL.png

Arrival time looks good, but Dec is always 32L, thus unfriendly location, except for taxying shot from Anjung Tinjau...

Departure time not friendly....

from spotter point of view... :rolleyes:

Norman, won't you be at LIMA 2011 on 1 Dec?

Yeah, the only way to cover this is to get an press invitation from Emirates! :)

Norman, won't you be at LIMA 2011 on 1 Dec?

Yeah, the only way to cover this is to get an press invitation from Emirates! :)

LIMA '11 starts on 6th Dec.... So should be in Anjung Tinjau by the 1st.... hehehe

but how I wish to be at Weather Station.... :rolleyes:

Emirates is increasing the destinations served by its Airbus A380 fleet this year, with new services being added to points in Europe, South Africa and Asia.

The Dubai carrier will start A380 flights to Johannesburg in October, Kuala Lumpur and Rome in December and Munich in January 2012.

"Sao Paulo was meant to become an A380 service, but we'd need to leave it there for 6h, and they simply don't have the space to park it as the airport is so congested. But we'll get there eventually," Emirates Airline president Tim Clark said.

Emirates operated an A380 to Rome in June, to mark the 50th anniversary of the airport. The carrier currently operates twice-daily to the city.

"Rome is the first Italian airport that can accommodate an A380 with the complete operating infrastructure," said Aeroporti di Roma aviation director Elia Pistola.

The airline has just operated a one-off flight to Riyadh in Saudi Arabia, to mark Saudi Arabia's National Day on 23 September.

While the flight to the Saudi capital was intended as a one-off service, Emirates has operated the 489-seat aircraft between Dubai and the Saudi commercial centre of Jeddah since February 2010, and reports strong demand from both business and tourism sectors in either direction.

The carrier currently has 15 A380s in its fleet, with a further 75 on order.

EK A380 to KUL is DELAYED to 1 January 2012. A spy just forwarded me the official announcement.

Deferment of A380 Service

We would like to update and notify you that the scheduled service of the A380 aircraft to Malaysia for EK347/EK346 will be deferred to 1 January 2012. Kindly inform your passengers of the deferment.

In view of the development, all tickets issued on / after 27 July 2011 for travel effective 1 - 31 December 2011 on EK347 will be allowed a waiver for refund and / or reissue provided the new flights are rebooked toEK347. Reissuance must be done latest by 28 October, for travel from 1 January - 31 March 2012.

Kindly collate a list of the affected passengers, if any and send it to us for formal approval. Please send it in the report format as attached by 23 October 2011.

We thank you for your understanding and continuous support.

Sales Department

Emirates

Lot 9.03.01, Level 9,

Pavilion Kuala Lumpur,

168 Jalan Bukit Bintang,

55100 Kuala Lumpur

Telephone : 603-2058 5899

Fax : 603-2058 5999

www.emirateslive.com

Thankfully there is a refund. Otherwise those who missed the chance to fly their A380 would be very disappointed.

I was actually booked on it. My ticket was purchased under the MATTA Fair special fare RM 2,017 all inclusive. Really pissed me off. I am not sure if I will be around to be on the inaugural on 1 January though since I am scheduled to be in JED during that time.

Well, you dah rasa it before so takpelah :D

Jokes aside, I understand your frustration. Hopefully you'd be able to make the rescheduled date.

Sign in to follow this