MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

MalaysianWings 7th Anniversary 30 June 2012

:hi: All of the friends in BKK this weekend; I wish you all a very happy anniversary and a happy cosy weekend all together! :yahoo: :drinks:

See my siggy, Cornelis !!!

If not tonight on TG0557, it will be TG0551 on 30jun12, cutting spottingtime tremendously...Thanks to Lufthansa !!!

I'm at the hotel now. No issues with transfer. Just go to Exit door 4 and look for a little sign (amongst lots of signs) for the Phoenix Hotel. Someone there will arrange for the minibus to pick you up.

Thanks Josh, see above message: if not for tonight, I'll certainly hope to meet you all tomorrow (don't know which time reaching the hotel, though)...

I will pick Mr. Bui Tuan Khiam & Uncle Vi Loc for meeting tomorrow, but I can spotting with you all only in the morning due to I hv reunion party with my old school friend in the evening.

I think only me from Thailand Spotter to meet you tomorrow cos others will go to DMK for an air show.

Edited by Prompong J.

OK guys, tentative plan is to camp in Phoenix roof (Block 3) from 6 am. Breakfast is optional - you can either go over to Queen's Garden (open at 7 am) or pack some food from nearby roadside food vendors or buy takeway from the 7 Eleven nearby.

Have a great Anniversary Weekend in BKK guys....

Lots of photos please....

Sorry unable to join this year... family commitments

Enjoy the gathering and I hope my pre order of blue sky and good light were delivered on time.

Weather in KUL was hazy and a day to forget for plane spotting.

Good choice of choosing BKK and I will toast Singha Beer to you guys.

Enjoy the gathering and I hope my pre order of blue sky and good light were delivered on time.

Weather in KUL was hazy and a day to forget for plane spotting.

Good choice of choosing BKK and I will toast Singha Beer to you guys.

Thanks for your good wishes and pre-ordered goodies! Unfortunately, delivery was late as everyone had to circle and queue around BKK's airspace!

We may not have blue skies but we had blue planes... This Boeing 767-300ER (winglet) is OO-TUC:

1246924.jpg

It was great meeting all the guys again and many thanks to Prompong J for hosting us and introducing the finest roast duck in Ladkrabang!

I just got back from my delayed flight from BKK. Still have to go through the tons of photos we shot but I will share a couple first. I guess we will post the rest in Obs Hill thread. :)

Happy Anniversary Malaysian Wings!

1246926.jpg

1246922.jpg

MalaysianWings 7th Anniversary - 30 June 2012 @ Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

This year, we celebrated the MW anniversary in Bangkok.

The guys began arriving at our chosen camp, Phoenix Hotel Bangkok at Lat Krabang on Friday afternoon and hoped that the superb weather we had then would hold for Saturday. That was not to be!

So, on Saturday I dug myself out of bed at 5.30 am so that we could begin spotting at 6 am. The light was not there yet and the early arrivals included Air Madagascar.

After about 90 minutes up on the roof we went back downstairs to get our breakfast - it was a long drawn affair as the hotel staff lovingly prepared and shipped the food over from the nearby Queen's Garden Resort (that was closed for renovations). Good thing their kitchen was still in operation. After breakfast, we got together for this:

1249918.jpg

We then resumed our planned morning spotting session at the rooftop. Suddenly, we got this snake oil salesman making an appearance! Apparently they had developed it into a cream now! ;)

1249919.jpg

The morning went on and we saw generous helpings of Thai and Bangkok AIrways aircraft coming in to land on the very busy runway 19R. Shooting was fast and furious and BigMa proved its worth in identifying distant aircraft, our FR did not always provide everything!

1249920.jpg

Our host, Prompong J, proceeded to shoot our group pix as we looked out for the traffic. Soon, it was time to satisfy the tummy. We headed to our "local" for some Chinese food! It was so delicious that some even had a second helping!

1249921.jpg

1249922.jpg

1249930.jpg

It was during lunch that we had our cloudburst. The guys rushed out to shoot the Kenya and Ethiopian arrivals but I decided not to get wet! Decisions had to be made as to what we should do after lunch. Josh and Pieter decided to stay put at the hotel while I elected to go to the canal side next to runway 19R .

1249924.jpg

It was a wet and muggy afternoon and as we dashed in and out of our shelter in between the showers. The owners of the shelter were very friendly and amused by our activities!

1249925.jpg

While we waited for the rain to go away, we kept our trigger fingers wamed up with the local scenes...

1249926.jpg

Soon we were thinking about dinner, perhaps some frog porridge!

1249927.jpg

The rain was tiring and the guys were feeling a bit bored too...

1249928.jpg

Then, we got a motivational moment when this came along and surprised us!

1249931.jpg

Soon the light faded even more and after waiting for a few more aircraft to arrive, we decided to head back to the hotel at around 5.45 pm.

We looked around for somewhere to eat and stumbled upon this beef noodle place... We tucked in to this yummy stuff and the mosquitoes feasted on us too! ;)

1249929.jpg

And so the day came to and end with us making a pit stop at the 7 Eleven to pick up more supplies! I had my Walls Magnum ice cream for dessert! ;)

So, another anniversary has passed and Pieter is already asking us for suggestions on the 8th Anniversary location! Put on your thinking caps, guys! ;)

Flee, thanks for the quick update of the gathering. :clapping:

Ha ha! The snake oil salesman was in town as well.

Good location spot for the MS & TG retro shots. Where's the location of these shots ?

Anyway, being together with MWingers would over ride the dull weather. :pardon:

Awaiting for more shots from others.

Good location spot for the MS & TG retro shots. Where's the location of these shots ?

Anyway, being together with MWingers would over ride the dull weather. :pardon:

TG was from the airport's observation deck (KS told me about it and I went to check it out and got lucky). MS was courtesy of Unker Tony's Caterham jet rolling down runway 19R... ;)

Oh, in case you were wondering if the ladies got stranded, no they weren't. They were whisked away downtown for their shopping trip in this:

1250130.jpg

Thanks for the great time over the weekend, guys! It was really nice to finally meet some of you.

This year we have members from 4 country in SE Asia plus uncle Pieter from the Netherland in 7th Anniversary

1st Version

1DSC00154.jpg

2nd Version

1DSC00163.jpg

after you chk both picture you will know who is a man who miss the 1st group photo.

Hi guys. I just reached home after flying back from BKK this morning via KUL. Tired and desperately in need of some sleep, but not before I say thank you for a great weekend. This time around we had a lot going on over the anniversary weekend - MH A380 delivery, RTAF Centennial Celebration and off course the anniversary itself. If there is a hardcore spotter award I would surely vote for KS Ong who flew back from BKK to KUL for the A380 delivery, then flew back for the anniversary and also visited the RTAF Centennial at Don Mueang. So bro, I salute you! :drinks:

Btw, just an update for today before I left at approx 1130 - EVA sent in their ribbon livery and left around 1130, and also I think I saw Saudia Skyteam airborne also about the same time. And light was good the whole morning. :(

Glad you made it home safely, Waiping. Its not an easy journey for you too. But I agree that KS wins the hardcore MWinger of the 7th Anniversary award!

When I was waiting for my delayed flight back to KUL yesterday, it did occur that I might be able to make it to watch the A380 inaugural flight. However, tiredness crept in when I arrived and I abandoned the idea.

Yes, its very good to know that there are so many MWingers now and we can cover so many things... :)

Thanks for the group pix Prompong!

I think I saw Saudia Skyteam airborne also about the same time. And light was good the whole morning.

That's very surprising, considering the hostile relationship between the KSA and Thailand, I thought SV will never serves any airport in Thailand and on the reverse side TG will never gets the approval to serve any airports in the KSA.

Anyway, hopefully it is not too late to wish all MalaysianWings members a celebrated 7th anniversary and kudos to all 11 committed individuals who made it to the annual gathering (this year in BKK).

Thanks a lot for the compansionship during the 7th MW Anniversary; I can say, both Mai & I really enjoyed being with you guys in BKK !!!

Although we were uncertain when to arrive (thanks to Lufthansa), we got the last 2 seats on TG and had an enjoyable flight to BKK...

Next morning, we met at the cafe after b-fast and went up to the roof where we had some very good 'visitors' passing our lenses :good:

Want to thank Prompong for the lunch and for the companionship during the morning-session...the afternoon was wet, but was compensated with good traffic i.e. Druk A319 and the RTAF 737-800...

Can certainly attest that the members who weren't able to attend, have missed a very nice Anniversary and I hope more members will attend next year's meet, as it's not only about photography but will strengthen the members' friendship and put's 'the faces to the forum names'...

Azizul: SV do operate into BKK - 1st time after awakening on saturday-morning, I spotted a SV MD-11 Freighter landing (was not able to photograph it, though)...

Josh: thanks from coming all the way from SYD, just for visiting and meeting the MW gang...hope to see you again next year :pardon:

If any members have suggestions for next year's meet, please, let me know, so I can incorporate it in the next poll...

If any members have suggestions for next year's meet, please, let me know, so I can incorporate it in the next poll.

I would like to nominate CGK and HKG.

Congrats to all on a sucessfull meet up celebration.....maybe for the 8th anniversary...can consider Penang.....maybe to conincide with some yearly military training exercise like Cope Taufan or something ......

That's very surprising, considering the hostile relationship between the KSA and Thailand, I thought SV will never serves any airport in Thailand and on the reverse side TG will never gets the approval to serve any airports in the KSA.

Anyway, hopefully it is not too late to wish all MalaysianWings members a celebrated 7th anniversary and kudos to all 11 committed individuals who made it to the annual gathering (this year in BKK).

Well I thought I saw a Skyteam jet with what looks like the logo of Saudia. Perhaps I was wrong. Hopefully someone can verify this,

May I ask where to spot BKK with such backdrop, is it a point easy to reach?

Great job there and Happy Anniversary!

Sneeze, I was looking forward to meet you but I guess you changed your mind about coming to BKK!

The TG spot was from the airport's observation deck on Level 6 (KS Ong told me about it and I went to check it out and got lucky). However, this place will break your back and you cannot spot too long there due to the many obstacles as we are near the roof of the building. We also have to shoot through glass - so we need to correct the white balance too.

MS B77W was a lucky one brought about by runway congestion. I took the photo when my plane was on its takeoff roll down runway 19R.