MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Loh Wilson

Tiger Airways Suspended at Australia

THE Civil Aviation Safety Authority has suspended all Tiger Airways Australia domestic flights with immediate effect from today.

CASA says the action has been taken because it believes permitting the airline to continue to fly poses a serious and imminent risk to air safety.

The action followed the regulator issuing the airline with a show cause notice in March, and two recent incidents where pilots have twice flown into Melbourne airports below the lowest safe altitude.

The most recent incident occurred on Thursday night when a Tiger Airways Airbus A320 flew into Avalon airport below the lowest safe altitude.

CASA says taking Tiger's response into account, it's imposed a number of conditions on the airline's air operator's certificate.

They include actions to improve the proficiency of Tiger's pilots and their training and checking processes, changes to fatigue management and improvements to maintenance control.

Tiger says its domestic services will remain suspended until next Saturday while it conducts investigations into two recent operational incidents.

It says its services to and from Singapore are not affected and continue to operate normally.

The airline says it is doing all it can to minimise passenger disruption, but customers with bookings in Australia should not travel to the airport and will be offered a full refund or credit for deferred travel.

The Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) said the grounding should prompt the industry and the Federal Government to get moving on recommendations last week from a Senate inquiry into pilot training and airline safety.

"There has been concern for some time about dropping safety standards in Australian aviation due to the pressures introduced by some low-cost carriers," AIPA president Barry Jackson said.

Captain Jackson said the AIPA had been pushing hard for reform, but the Senate inquiry's proposals to strengthen aviation safety had been met with indifference and denial by management in sections of the industry.

The Senate inquiry's recommendations, handed down last week, included a minimum of 1500 hours' flight experience for commercial pilots as well as that qualification to the highest standard of an airline pilot licence be a hiring prerequisite.

source: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/tiger-planes-grounded-pose-serious-risk/story-e6frfq80-1226086032733

It seems like CASA of Australia has enough of Tiger Airways unethical work practices and constant breach of minimum landing height by pilot, CASA annouced this morning it is grounding all TT flights.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has suspended all Tiger Airways flights in Australia for the next week because of "serious" safety concerns.

CASA moved to suspend the budget airline's services after an incident on Thursday night when a Tiger Airways Airbus A320 flew into Avalon Airport, south-west of Melbourne, below the lowest safe altitude.

It is the second time in a month that Tiger has flown below the safety standard.

And in March, Tiger was issued with a show-cause notice over pilot training and maintenance procedures.

CASA says it is the first time it has grounded an airline.

"We've been working with the airline to deal with those issues, but we're not satisfied that they've satisfactorily done that," CASA spokesman Peter Gibson said.

"It's all added together to end up in a situation where the Civil Aviation Safety Authority has said, 'look, we don't have confidence in the ability of Tiger to continue to manage the safety of their operations'.

"Tiger has not been able to, at this stage, convince us that they can continue operations safely, so that's why they're on the ground.

Link: http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Tiger-grounded-serious-safety-abc-986020478.html;_ylt=AqDNitQF6Oy7jLJ8KRZEZqfHW49G;_ylu=X3oDMTE2OHFvcGM1BHBvcwMyBHNlYwN0b3Atc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDdGlnZXJncm91bmRl?x=0

SOme of my friends who booked on TT flight for winter break are now stranded; looking for alternative. Not a good time choice for CASA to make during universities' break!! Some more they have known the issue a while back!!! <_>

Be interesting to see how they can recover from this!

Under the "show cause" notice they recieved from CASA not long ago, they were not permitted to allow a brand new A320 (VH-FJR) enter service. It subsequently was flown to Singapore, where I believe it still sits, awaiting some work...

Shame on Tiger Airways!!!

It is so focused on the bottomline to the point it probably cuts every corner it can find - and perhaps even some imaginary corners.

Better to ground this airline before an accident happens and innocent people pay with their lives.

Perhaps it is time for the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore to also perform a safety audit of this airline here in Singapore!

KC

Perhaps it is time for the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore to also perform a safety audit of this airline here in Singapore!

Another job for Lui Tuck Yew :D Anyways, CAAS will probably perform a safety audit, though the problem may be unique to their Australia operations.

Ooh, I'm booked on a Tiger flight on July 14th SIN-KUL... @@

Tiger Airways Singapore operation is not affected as it has different operating certificate. So you are safe!! Happy flying! :)

I thought Qantas is one that keep breaking apart mid air.. I don't like Tiger for their lousy service and products, but I am not sure how fair they are being treated.

Took Tiger once. During the return flight from SIN to KUL, passengers were stranded for more than an hour in the cabin parking on the Tarmac. Apparently, they made a U-turn from take off due to a signal alarmed.

They tried to fix everything, in and out from the cockpit and finally realising they couldn't fix the problem, they changed the plan and all of us have to disembark the plane and embark on another plane.

I thought Qantas is one that keep breaking apart mid air.. I don't like Tiger for their lousy service and products, but I am not sure how fair they are being treated.

Yeah exact my sentiment. I think Qantas is pretty dodgy and many incidents of late have illustrated this, I wonder if they have been audited by the Australian authorities in the same manner.

Edited by S V Choong

Australia Tiger Airways is back to the air today after six week of grounding. smh.com.au

According to an email received from them yesterday, average Australia domestic air fare has increased by 30% since their grounding (see below)

******* email received from Tiger Airways on 11/8/11 *************

We know that many Australians have been inconvenienced these past few weeks, and for that we apologise. We're sorry.

But we're also listening: listening very hard to what you want from us. Our mission is to be a safe, reliable airline that enables ALL Australians to go the places they want to go at a price they can afford to pay.

Since we haven't been flying, our competitors have raised their fares by more than 30%*^; we don't think that’s fair. It's a big country, and we believe that every Australian should be able to travel for a reasonable price.

So while we're always looking for ways to improve, one thing will never change: our absolute commitment to ensuring all Australians can go to the places they want safely, affordably and reliably.

Thanks for your support,

The entire Tiger Airways team

* Source: BITRE Domestic Air Fares Indexes, August 2011

^ is a comparison to the prior corresponding period and not as an average figure

Wishing them all the best; and hopefully they will not repeat the same mistake again.

What most people want from them is reliability. You always hear about last minute flight cancellations and passengers being stranded. I still won't fly them though... <_>