MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

Firefly Inaugural Flight to SBW

On Friday July 1st,SBW airport receives another operator,which is Firefly Airlines (FY).Thanks to Ikman Ikreza for arranging the invitations,thus making me possible to make the coverage.

5890247611_14a1fb0311_z.jpg

First time holding,and wearing this pass.Boy how do i wish to have this :rolleyes:

After registering,i was later invited for a refreshment (for local guests & media member) at MAB Airport office.Then,on 0900hrs,we began to go up to gate 3,to receive the flight,and on 0915,the flight had safely landed! Aircraft was 9M-FFD, formerly operated by SA,with her previous rego as ZS-SJI.

5890261173_f45ae0da66_z.jpg

5890257255_f36ed2d2a3_z.jpg

5890257409_8293ff4108_z.jpg

5890257867_d201a092b4_z.jpg

Got more photos need to be chose,and also to upload,so please stay tuned :clapping:

Congratulations on your maiden report! :good:

Our Malaysian Wings family is growing and it is good that we get to see things even though we are not there! More please! :)

Thanks flee!

I will upload more photos later on; got so many photos here,so it's a headache for me to choose!

Bro, since so hard for you to choose, I choose what I want to see..

1.) water cannon salute if any

2.) ramp shot

3.) cabin shot if available

4.) Events that happened during the inagural e.g presentation of gifts to pax, or any dancing haram whatsoever.. :p

:good:

2.) ramp shot

4.) Events that happened during the inagural e.g presentation of gifts to pax, or any dancing haram whatsoever.. :p

Tamizi,

and the pax load,

and the buffet spread if any (this is for Cikgu Ken :rolleyes: )

2.) ramp shot

Iggy bro,

unfortunately the first 3 are not available :pardon: except for no.4.I'll post it here,but sorry for the photo quality lah :pardon:

And to Arzman, so sorry,as the line were too long,so i'm unable to snap the photo of the buffet line (and some of the food are starting to run out)

However,the average pax load (according to the Press Release issued by FY),it was around 81%.

Continue on (sorry for the late posting; busy with my tutorial classes at OUM & also assignment):

After the plane came to a complete stop (at gate 3),passengers are being welcomed by traditional dances.The first to be welcomed are Dato' Eddie Leong,MD FY and Dato' Rashid Khan,CEO STB.

However,the photos of presentation of gifts to passenger turned out poorly :sorry: But I'll just show it here:

5893193682_9c396c5892_z.jpg

Dato' Eddie & Dato' Rashid among the first greeted upon entering the terminal building

5892627355_7e81bf98d7_z.jpg

Resident of Sibu,Mr.Sim Kok Kee (who is also Chairman,Sibu Divisional Tourism Task Force) among the welcoming party in SBW

5892628959_3fc18de994_z.jpg

Passengers from the inaugural flight

And also,I finally managed to meet Saadiah,our fellow MWinger (and also FY personnel) who also joining the flight (alongside Ikman):

5890375107_6a8c137024_z.jpg

However,we were unable to chat for long,as i need to get down to the soft opening of the ticketing office,and she also need to carry out her duty on that day as well.

Upon that,focus were later shifted to the soft opening of the SBW ATO (Airport Ticketing Office).Operations actually started on June 1st,but it was only officially opened on that day as well.It's their temporary office,and upon the completion of the new terminal building in 2012,probably their ATO will be bigger than what we've seen now.

Dato' Eddie with the Divisional Resident,chatting while waiting for the commencement of the soft-launching ceremony

5893200072_5ee6e249b2_z.jpg

5893201650_7096b337b4_z.jpg

5890944254_029608f3e7_z.jpg

Ribbon cutting ceremony was done by Dato' Eddie and Mr.Sim Kok Kee,the Sibu Division Resident while being watched by Dato' Rashid Khan.

After the completion of the event,members of Media & invited guests were brought to RH Hotel for the Press Conference,and the trip took approximately 30min.

5893233066_a128f38372_z.jpg

5892668373_d842cc70e0_z.jpg

View from the 2nd floor (pardon for the dirty glass!)

5893234636_bd14937b68_z.jpg

The Press Conference Venue (Grand Jasmine Ballroom)

Please stay tuned for the last batch of the photo :drinks:

Alright,the last batch of the photos:

5893570584_45cf8e1594_z.jpg

5893003721_9069265563_z.jpg

Dato' Eddie chats with James,Official FY Photographer before the PC starts (Didn't know his name at first,but later our fellow MWinger Azuan Zahdi tells me the guy name.Thanks a lot,Azuan!)

5890303241_35beb54d7a_z.jpg

FY Product briefing session for the first time

5890304971_8735264c13_z.jpg

The Press Release issued by the Media & PR Department

5890873606_8f2569b10b_z.jpg

Speech by Dato' Eddie..

5890309181_61049279e8_z.jpg

And later followed up by Dato' Rashid Khan.

After the speeches,the Q&A session begins.

5893006783_fe3e075728_z.jpg

5893008289_96136ab631_z.jpg

Dato' Eddie presenting souvenir (a FY B737-800 model) to the Guest of Honor,Mr.Hu Yu Siong,President of the Sibu Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI)

After the gift presentation ceremony,it concludes the ceremony.Lunch was later served to all invited guests & Member of the Press.

One last shot:

5893579648_4c4fb08c81_z.jpg

After the lunch,both me & Ikman later heads to the Mosque for Friday Prayers,but it seems that we've missed the prayer session,so we performed the Zohor prayers instead.

That's all from me; Hope to hear from Ikman Ikreza's side soon (upon his return to KUL).Thanks for viewing!

Thanks for the pics Mizi :good:

Couple of observations which I think peculiar to Sarawak (no, make that Sibu only I think)

1) You still have a "Divisional Resident" - remnant from colonial heritage

2) FY's presentation and venue backdrop at press conference in english and chinese only

:pardon:

You're most welcome,BC.

BTW,FYI Sarawak still uses the 'Divisional Resident' title as head of the division at all 11 divisions,and Since Sibu is considered as 'Mini Fuzhou' (due to the large Foochow community presence here),that's why the presentation was made in English & Chinese.

Hope the info helps :)

Just realized I've missed one photo here; Here it goes:

5893578262_07b90400a0_z.jpg

Dato' Eddie presenting a souvenir (a FY B737-800 model) to the Guest of Honor,Mr.Hu Yu Siong,President of the Sibu Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI)

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

5890303241_35beb54d7a_z.jpg

FY Product briefing session for the first time

Spotted something seriously wrong here... <_<

What is a B734-400?

And the translation below it (in Chinese) says 737-800... ;)

What an embarrassment. If this was a newspaper report by a journalist, I can forgive the person for probably being unfamiliar with planes. But this presentation was done by Firefly itself!

Spotted something seriously wrong here... <_>

What is a B734-400?

What an embarrassment. If this was a newspaper report by a journalist, I can forgive the person for probably being unfamiliar with planes. But this presentation was done by Firefly itself!

OMG; I seriously didn't realize that! Probably a typo error by FY staff,and everyone (including me) didn't notice about it!

Just come back from Sibu yesterday, still on tired mood but happy joined Firefly's inaugural flight KUL-SBW and press conference @ RH hotel on last Friday. This is my 2nd time for FY's inaugural flight after last time to KCH on January. Firstly, many thanks to Ms Shariza & Ms Kalpana (Firefly Marketing & PR) for arranging and welcomed me to join this event as part of media group eventhough I'm not able to join FAM trips until Sunday. I'll update my TR soon including a simple question that I asked to Dato Eddy during PC. Nice to meet Tarmizi as well.

You are the 1st group flying with firefly from KUL to SBW on 1st July 2011 placed at Gate 3 ramp Sibu Airport..

IMG_4003_.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

One last shot:

5893579648_4c4fb08c81_z.jpg

IMO the Chinese phrase does not sound natural, personally I'd say "飞萤欢庆首趟吉隆坡直飞诗巫航班“

Nice works nonetheless Tamizi :good:

Thanks YJ :lol:

Ikman,can't wait to hear the same story,but this time from your side :rolleyes:

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Good coverage, Tarmizi... hope FY would continue plying the sector forever.

Good coverage, Tarmizi... hope FY would continue plying the sector forever.

Thanks,Yusoff; Hopefully when the 3rd daily flight commences on August 1st,FY will be a improved airline.

nice report...

Thanks,Zeqa!

Spotted something seriously wrong here... <_<

What is a B734-400?

i'll find out the culprit! =@

thanks arthur for pointing out.

btw, dont be surprise if u see our 737-400 operating the SBW flt.

just in case our 737-800 AOG :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip-off Saadiah!

i'll find out the culprit! =@

thanks arthur for pointing out.

Please make sure that FY661 on 13/8 will be operated by the 738! :p

Please make sure that FY661 on 13/8 will be operated by the 738! :p

Let's hope so Mulyadir; and hopefully FY will consider KUL-BTU as well.

I'm really hoping that FY will add JHB-SBW to their 'coming soon' route list :rolleyes:

What will happen to MH staffs at SBW? Absorb by FY?

I'm not sure about it too; but since MH (not MASwings) still operating KCH-SBW,perhaps some of them will be retained.

Hopefully someone would answer this question as well.