MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

MH confirms it will stop KUL-SBW flights

Published in today's The Borneo Post:

MAS confirms it will stop KL-Sibu flights

by Stephanie Siaw. Posted on June 23, 2011, Thursday

KUCHING: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has confirmed that it will stop its flights for the Sibu-Kuala Lumpur route.

MAS managing director and chief executive officer Tengku Datuk Seri Azmil Zahruddin Raja Abdul Aziz told the media this at the Paris Air Show in Le Bourget on Tuesday.

“Basically Firefly will start coming in twice a day and MAS will basically transfer the service to Firefly,” he said.

As for other routes in the state and in Sabah, he said these were still under review.

“We will review our routes. We look at it as a group. You know some will be only one airline, some like Kuching and KK (Kota Kinabalu) we will have both.

“So over time we’ll see. There will some that both will operate, there will be some that only MAS operates. There will be some that only Firefly operates,” said Azmil.

MAS used to operate the Sibu-Kuala Lumpur route twice daily.

Currently there is only one MAS flight on the route, while Firefly will fly the route twice daily from July 1.

MAS will completely cease the route by the end of this year.

looks like it's official. i got a business class ticket from sibu to kl in jan 12. doesnt sound exactly pleasing to be transferred to firefly. :angry:

Perhaps they'll transferring you to KUL-KCH-SBW flight; Have you checked your ticket status with MH yet?

We should expect more transfers between MH and FY after this.

For Sarawak, I think only KCH and MYY can warrant both MH and FY flights. The rest (SBW, BTU) will only be served by FY.

For Sabah, only BKI will see both MH and FY flights. The rest (SDK, TWU, LBU) will see only FY.

For Peninsular I am not too sure. Logically only PEN is capable to support both MH and FY. But there will be a lot of complaints from our politicians and government officials should MH pulled out from the rest because they cannot fly on business class grants anymore.

For Sarawak, I think only KCH and MYY can warrant both MH and FY flights. The rest (SBW, BTU) will only be served by FY.

For Sabah, only BKI will see both MH and FY flights. The rest (SDK, TWU, LBU) will see only FY.

For Peninsular I am not too sure. Logically only PEN is capable to support both MH and FY. But there will be a lot of complaints from our politicians and government officials should MH pulled out from the rest because they cannot fly on business class grants anymore.

Hmm,hopefully they will reconsidering their decision again.

i wonder if MH pulls out from so many domestic sectors, where they actually to fly 45 738. not exactly wise to use those narrow bodies on flight more than 3 hours with 30" seat pitch

For Peninsular I am not too sure. Logically only PEN is capable to support both MH and FY.

Not only PEN I think, you forget to put KBR in line as well. After SIPA runway extension work finish maybe MH will operate B738 to KBR.

Might be those aircrafts can be use to increase flights to the destinations/routes that they still retained

Such as? MLE, DAC, SGN, BKK, HAN, MNL, PNH, CGK, DPS?

This reminds me a little of the JQ/QF situation. At least FY appears to be an LCC 'with frills' whereas JQ is way more budget. JQ has completely taken over some of QF's routes, so even if you don't like JQ - tough! At least there's now a new and improved DJ to choose from.

Such as? MLE, DAC, SGN, BKK, HAN, MNL, PNH, CGK, DPS?

Not sure what the yields to MLE are like but a day flight in addition to the current evening flight would be very welcome. You need to catch seaplanes out to some resorts like the W or the Conrad which only operate during day light hours. The existing MH service arrives after the last seaplane service departs, which forces an overnight at the rip off airport hotel or an inconvenient sea boat transfer to the seemingly equally unappealing capital island of Male.

MLE is a rather high end leisure route, so I'd imagine that there's enough yield to support a 2nd daily service? The only other viable option to MLE from this end of the world is SQ which operates 2 MLE services a day out of SIN and thus has much friendlier connections. Or maybe even move the MH service to a daytime departure, it'd connect nicely with flights out of Australia whilst still connecting neatly with a fair proportion of North Asian services into KUL.

Edited by Keith T

Don't like firefly?

Just don't fly with them! Easy.....

of coz, but last time at least got MAS to choose, but in the future, there's no more, only firefly and airasia...

what i mean bad news is, i can't fly MAS back to SBW anymore...

Edited by lionel

of coz, but last time at least got MAS to choose, but in the future, there's no more, only firefly and airasia...

With the exception of J-class, if one select standard bundle, FY service level is similar to MH and cheaper.

MAS still fly to SBW from KCH. So,if you still want to fly with them,you can arrange your journey, KUL-KCH-SBW

Yup, it's confirm Firefly will take over from MH for this route. Maybe officially statement will be announce during FY's inaugural flight press conference at SBW on this 1st July.

.-->KUALA LUMPUR, June 25 (Bernama) -- Firefly will gradually take over the Kuala Lumpur-Sibu route from Malaysia Airlines from July 1.

It will continue to offer the same twice daily services as Malaysia Airlines which will withdraw from this route effective Aug 1.

In a statement on Saturday, Firefly Managing Director Datuk Eddy Leong said: "We have an agreement with our code share partner, Malaysia Airlines, that we would operate this route utilising our B737-800 aircraft and will continue to provide connectivity to other Malaysia Airlines routes and services.

"We also took into account the needs of business and leisure travellers and scheduled our flights timings accordingly."

Firefly is a fully owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines.

-- BERNAMA

Source : http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=596674

What would be the meal arrangement for MH pax connecting to this operatde-by-FY service? Would they get "free" meals without necessarily pre-ordering them?

Looks like this is happening earlier than they indicated. I just got an email saying that my KUL-SBW flight in August has been cancelled and I am transferred to KUL-SBW via KCH. I tried a dummy booking for August and MH's KUL-SBW flight is not bookable anymore.

Looks like this is happening earlier than they indicated. I just got an email saying that my KUL-SBW flight in August has been cancelled and I am transferred to KUL-SBW via KCH. I tried a dummy booking for August and MH's KUL-SBW flight is not bookable anymore.

Yup; KUL-SBW via KCH is still available,but for the KUL-SBW,it will be completely operated by FY on Aug 1st.

Don't think they could transfer the flight to FY. Since MH is giving premium service and that's what passengers pay for. :)

Let's see what's next permanent routes from KUL after SDK next month...previously said got MYY in Feb, but revoked the decisions within few weeks after announcement...not a good publicity for Mirians...wandering will they make a "U-turn" after sometimes later...but if they decided to come in the end, I hope MH services gonna be retained, at least half of current frequencies if they really intend to cut...maintaining 3 direct and 1 via KCH as current is the best...:)

Let's see what's next permanent routes from KUL after SDK next month...previously said got MYY in Feb, but revoked the decisions within few weeks after announcement.

SDK is confirmed to be all FY by 1 August 2011. Booking on MH's website on the route on the date resulting in an error.

I believe TWU will also be all FY by 4 December 2011.

Any MW members will be on the KUL-SDK inaugural?

SDK is confirmed to be all FY by 1 August 2011. Booking on MH's website on the route on the date resulting in an error.

I believe TWU will also be all FY by 4 December 2011.

Any MW members will be on the KUL-SDK inaugural?

Hopefully someone will do the coverage; just imagine,Having your sahur at KUL and then,Iftar at SDK (since it's the 1st day of Ramadan) :rolleyes: