MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

A ‘high day’ for AirAsia X - Approval to Beijing, Osaka, Shanghai, Jeddah and Istanbul

PETALING JAYA: AirAsia X (AAX), which got the go-ahead on Monday for five key international routes, will fly two within 12 months, according to chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani.

Azran could not name the routes as the challenge now was to secure all the regulatory and airport authorities' approvals to enable AAX to land in the respective countries.

“We have to make sure we get the approvals and the readiness. It is manageable but we could not initiate it without the Malaysian government's approval,'' Azran said by telephone from Paris yesterday.

Earlier yesterday, AAX founder Tan Sri Tony Fernandes tweeted about the approval, saying that it was a “great day for AAX. The Government has removed all restrictions on routes. Only Sydney. Great, great day. Now we can go to Jeddah, Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka, Istanbul. The world has opened up. Thank you Prime Minister.''

The Transport Ministry had on Monday approved AAX's application for flights to Beijing, Osaka, Shanghai, Jeddah and Istanbul, but not the KL-Sydney route.

“We don't have the aircraft to immediately fly all the five routes. At most we can do two routes in the short term (12 months) with our current capacity. Beyond that we will have to wait for future plane delivery. We have ordered 17 (aircfaft) but this approval (of routes) is important as we can now find the routes for all of them.

“(Therefore) the approval means a lot to AAX and we thank the Government for it. We were hampered by optimal aircraft utilisation without the key route approvals and this approval will unlock the problem and pave the way for our potential IPO (initial public offering),'' Azran said.

“We also don't want our aircraft to wait and sit idly. But, with this approval, investors will now have more confidence in us (when we go for our IPO) and there will be economic-viable routes for the planes to fly.''

Azran said it was a positive development for the country as “we can now prioritise the very limited aircraft capacity that the country has access to on the most important routes rather than peripheral ones. This will help the Economic Transformation Programme achieve the tourism target that it had set.''

There are also conditions tied to the approval, but Azran merely said clarification was needed and he hoped to meet up with the Transport Minister at the Paris Air Show today.

Asked when the company was planning the IPO, Azran said “it was too early to say. We still need to get clarification from the ministry.''

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/6/23/business/8956584&sec=business

Earlier yesterday, AAX founder Tan Sri Tony Fernandes tweeted about the approval, saying that it was a “great day for AAX. The Government has removed all restrictions on routes. Only Sydney. Great, great day. Now we can go to Jeddah, Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka, Istanbul. The world has opened up. Thank you Prime Minister.''

What's this thanking the prime minister business... We all know election is around the corner but it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

What's this thanking the prime minister business... We all know election is around the corner but it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

TF is just being diplomatic that's all.....rolleyes.gif

AirAsia patience finally pays off. With opening of host of new routes, Air Asia is now only hampered by the lack of space at LCCT. Thus the delay in aircraft delivery.

I supposed AirAsia can negotiate for earlier slot for its A330 since AK is a big customer to Airbus. I do understand the delivery slots have been pre-assigned but airlines have been known to sell their slot for some cash. I supposed Air Asia can park their aircraft at MTB area and tow towards LCCT when the flight is up. However, it really depends on whether MAHB allows this to be done for minimal cost or no cost at all.

I personally think that the sudden liberalisation of skies is mainly due to knee-jerk effect of SQ setting up a new long haul budget airline and JQ presence as well. MH's entrance to oneworld somehow propelled the Government to act faster as well. :clapping: :yahoo:

Now the longhaul battle of D7 vs MH and the "others" Phase 2 has just started!

I hope it is a different kind of battle. With MH now moving into oneworld's fold, there shouldn't be any tussle between MH and D7 anymore because MH now has a pool of new markets and passengers to tap into that does not clashes with D7. MH should focus on how to reap max benefits from oneworld.

Just a question, will D7 maintains TSN and HGH when PEK and PVG are online? Earlier on, both TSN and HGH were marketed as the alternative 'LCC' gateways into Beijing and Shanghai by D7.

Some more details about the news. JED and KIX will be the 2 that will be launched first. IST is capped to 4 weekly frequency only, the rest are daily.

AirAsia X gets nod for 5 new coveted routes

By Presenna NambiarPublished: 2011/06/23

KUALA LUMPUR: Long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X has received approval from the go-vernment for five new coveted routes, but a couple of routes may be launched sooner than the rest.

AirAsia X co-founder and direc-tor Tan Sri Tony Fernandes tweeted yesterday that the airline has received the green light for five destinations, namely Jeddah, Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka and Istanbul.

When contacted, AirAsia X chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani explained that the carrier plans to launch two new routes in the next 12 months as it is constrained by capacity and slot allocation issues.

The carrier currently has a fleet of 11 aircraft. It is only expected to add another two to three planes by end of 2012.

"But this may change," he told Business Times, without elaborating.

Azran said submissions for slot applications have started.

In January, it was reported that AirAsia X deferred the delivery of three A330s this year in an effort to bolster its balance sheet for its proposed initial public offering.

AirAsia X is likely to start flights to Jeddah and Osaka first, while Beijing and Shanghai might come later due to the complex slot approval system.

The carrier has received rights to fly daily to four routes, except Istanbul, of which it is allowed to fly four times a week.

"Great day for Airasia X. The government has removed all restrictions on routes. Only Sydney. Great great day. Now we can go to Jeddah, Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka and Istanbul. The world has opened up. Thank you, Prime Minister," Fernandes said in his tweet yesterday evening.

The approval paves the way for Malaysia to catch up on the connectivity gap with Singapore and for AirAsia X to stay ahead of competition, especially with Singapore Airlines plans to start a low-cost long-haul unit of its own.

It is understood that AirAsia X received an official letter from the Ministry of Transport regarding the approvals last Monday.

The letter stated that a ruling which had restricted air rights approval has been lifted.

Read more: AirAsia X gets nod for 5 new coveted routes http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/pazt/Article/#ixzz1QEwVvup2

It would be more reasonable to fly to Beijing and Shanghai later since these 2 markets have already been tapped in by TSN and HGH.

Just a question, will D7 maintains TSN and HGH when PEK and PVG are online? Earlier on, both TSN and HGH were marketed as the alternative 'LCC' gateways into Beijing and Shanghai by D7.

Yes, interesting to see how it will be spinned, moving from 'LCC' airports to 'legacy' airports

(Though to be fair, I think neither TSN nor HGH ever promoted themselves as 'low cost' - maybe just as 'alternatives')

Particularly seeing how AK is currently 'fighting tooth and nail' resisting relocation from T2 to T1 at BKI :)

I wonder if tourism authorities at Beijing or Shanghai will be running scared in future by potential loss of a million or so arrivals annually if D7's operations at Beijing or Shanghai be adversely affected by relocation to the 'expensive' airports :p

KUALA LUMPUR, July 28 (Bernama) -- AirAsia X, the low- fare long-haul affiliate carrier of AirAsia, will announce new destinations next month.

Chief Executive Officer Azran Osman-Rani said the airline had been granted approvals to fly to Beijing and Shanghai in China, Osaka in Japan, Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, and Istanbul in Turkey.

"Well, obviously we would like to explore these destinations but we are not in a position to fly immediately because we don't have available aircraft," he told reporters after the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between AirAsia X and the British High Commission here Thursday.

He refused to name the new destinations the company would be announcing soon.

However, he did say that the company was "now making a lot of plans to add more Asia Pacific points as that's where the big growth area is".

Asked on AirAsia X's proposed listing, Azran said the company never had a definite plan because it had to stand guided by the investment bank advisor as the capital market was quite volatile at the moment.

"It's all about timing. We really have to see the market to become a bit more stable for investors to feel comfortable to invest in new issues," he said.

Under the MoU signed, AirAsia X will provide return flights and baggage allowances for ten Malaysian students to travel from Kuala Lumpur to London to study in top universities in the United Kingdom under the Chevening Scholarship Programme for the academic year 2011/2012.

The students' tuition fees and living expenses will be funded by the British government's Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Present at the signing ceremony was Acting British High Commissioner to Malaysia Ray Kyles.

Air Asia X today (10AUG11) announced it’ll launch 4 weekly Kuala Lumpur – Osaka Kansai service, its 2nd destination in Japan.

Airbus A330-300 aircraft to operate this service.

Schedule:

30NOV11 – 29FEB12

D7534 KUL0820 – 1545KIX 333 157

D7536 KUL1400 – 2125KIX 333 3

D7535 KIX1655 – 2240KUL 333 157

D7537 KIX2315 – 0500+1KUL 333 3

01MAR12 – 24MAR12

D7532 KUL0100 – 0825KIX 333 3

D7534 KUL0820 – 1545KIX 333 1

D7536 KUL1400 – 2125KIX 333 56

D7533 KIX0940 – 1525KUL 333 3

D7535 KIX1655 – 2240KUL 333 1

D7537 KIX2315 – 0500+1KUL 333 56

http://airlineroute.net/2011/08/10/d7-kix-w11/

Want to indulge in delicious Osaka cuisines, stroll along the beautiful Osaka Castle and shop in Amerikamura and more? Your dream is coming true with AirAsia X this coming November 2011!

AirAsia X will be flying to Osaka – our 2nd destination in Japan and to mark this exciting news, we are offering special promo fare from RM249! (all-in-fare).

Booking Period: 11 August 2011 - 14 August 2011

Travel Period: 30 November 2011 - 20 June 2012.

Booking starts at 00:01 hrs, 11 August 2011! Share this great news with your family & friends and get ready at www.airasia.com at 00:01 hrs @ 11 August 2011!

AirAsia X will commence services and fly direct to Kansai International Airport, Osaka with four non-stop weekly services between Kuala Lumpur and Osaka. Osaka, the commercial centre of Japan is also a gateway to the popular historical city of Kyoto and Kobe, which are accessible less than 30 minutes by train.

Are you READY for OSAKA? :-D

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 10 (Bernama) -- AirAsia X, the long-haul, low-cost affiliate of AirAsia, will begin flying to Osaka, its second destination in Japan after Tokyo from Nov 30, 2011.

In a statement Wednesday, AirAsia said its affiliate would fly firect from Kuala Lumpur to Kansai International Airport in Osaka with four non-stop weekly services.

To mark the launch of the route, AirAsia X would offer KL-Osaka fares from as low as RM249 one-way economy, and from RM1,569 one-way on its Premium Flat Bed seats.

"The booking period runs from Aug 11-14, 2011 for travel between Nov 30, 2011 and June 20, 2012," it said.

AirAsia X chief executive officer, Azran Osman-Rani, said the new route was expected to help meet demand from business and leisure travellers between South- East Asia and Japan.

"We estimate that over 60 per cent of the passengers to and from Osaka will be first-time visitors and will contribute significantly to tourism growth.

"It will an opportunity for the airline to open up new market segments from Osaka," he said.

He said the Kansai airport would be a strong feeder for the airline's passengers to connect onwards either domestically or internationally from Osaka.

Osaka, Japan's third largest city, will be AirAsia X's 16th international destination.

Currently, the airline flies to destinations in Australia, UK UK, France, Taiwan, South Korea, China, Iran, New Zealand and India and Tokyo.

applying for visa to japan for malaysians is a hassle as bank statement requirement etc. Down south S'poreans dont even need Visas for china, japan, and even the USA!

applying for visa to japan for malaysians is a hassle as bank statement requirement etc. Down south S'poreans dont even need Visas for china, japan, and even the USA!

Previously Malaysians are waive of visa for travelling to Japan. But thanks to those who overstaying there has make the visa a must for all the Malaysian travellers. Similarly if thing gets worse in UK, we might also need visa to travel to UK in the future! UK has already studied this and given us the warning!

Previously Malaysians are waive of visa for travelling to Japan. But thanks to those who overstaying there has make the visa a must for all the Malaysian travellers. Similarly if thing gets worse in UK, we might also need visa to travel to UK in the future! UK has already studied this and given us the warning!

agreed

thanks to the overstayers for making the process even harder!

I might be OT here, just booked D7/AK FLY-THRU, MEL-KCH.

The fare for Premium was the same as MH's Y so I went on and booked it for my brother.

The FLY-THRU allows 25kg allowence ALL THE WAY to KCH as well as 1 free meal on EACH sector.

As I booked Premium on the MEL-KUL, the KUL-KCH also allows me to get the HOT-SEATs FOC...

I think this is rather cheap...for less than AUD900...and apparently you can change the ticket once with no penalty, just fare difference...

Just should you know...

I might be OT here, just booked D7/AK FLY-THRU, MEL-KCH.

The fare for Premium was the same as MH's Y so I went on and booked it for my brother.

The FLY-THRU allows 25kg allowence ALL THE WAY to KCH as well as 1 free meal on EACH sector.

As I booked Premium on the MEL-KUL, the KUL-KCH also allows me to get the HOT-SEATs FOC...

I think this is rather cheap...for less than AUD900...and apparently you can change the ticket once with no penalty, just fare difference...

Just should you know...

Use the latest AirAsia Citibank Platinum card, book on the normal seat and free upgrade to premium seat.

Use the latest AirAsia Citibank Platinum card, book on the normal seat and free upgrade to premium seat.

Not everyone can own or afford the platinum card....

thanks Cikgu..I'll keep that in mind :)

Sign in to follow this