MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Arzman

First Class in MH

Australian Business Traveller ran the same story, so it must be just officially released.

Malaysia Airlines bans infants from First Class on Sydney flights

In what's certain to be welcomed by some as a blessing for business travellers, and slammed by others as a blow against families and freedom, Malaysia Airlines is no longer allowing babies to travel in the first class cabin of its Boeing 747-400s which fly between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney.

The same rule also applies to the regular KL-London and KL-Amsterdam services.

In an advisory sent from MAS to travel agents, the airline says that babies are no longer allowed in First Class on several Boeing 747-400s.

However, this isn't the start of an anti-infant campaign by MAS.

The reason for this ruling is that the first class cabins in these 747-400s are not equipped with bassinets, so as a safety consideration passengers travelling with infants won't be allowed to book in first class on those flights (nor can they bring their own bassinet). Bassinets continue to be available in the more baby-friendly business class cabin.

This is as good a time as any for us to pose the obvious question: should babies be banned from 'premium cabins' and relegated to economy, or premium economy at best, so that travellers paying to sit at the pointy end can be guaranteed a more peaceful flight for working or sleeping?

Click the poll below to have your say.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airlines-bans-infants-from-first-class-on-sydney-flights

Given some fine dining restaurants disallowed young children for the comfort of other guests, MH as a transporter is not obliged to carry undesirable pax or cargo.

Does SQ, EK, TG, BA or QF permit infants in F?

As a parent myself, I would feel really bad about bringing a baby into first class and ending up disturbing other passengers. So I would not fly first class anyway even if I could afford it.

This is a non-story for me.

tweet from @tengkuazmil

@FHavg @airlineroute Also hv many complaints from 1st class pax dat dey spend money on 1st class & can't sleep due to crying infants

So not having bassinet isn't the main issue.

My conversation with @tengkuazmil on Twitter about this:

Me:

@tengkuazmil What's there stopping @MAS from fitting bassinets in F? I have seen babies in F on BA and bassinets were provided.

@tengkuazmil:

@hkeithtan @MAS It's possible to do so, but many ppl complain abt it

Me:

@tengkuazmil Fair call. Some kids are great flyers but I can see both sides. No kids here so I won't pretend to know how to keep a bub calm!

And LOL at the following RT from @tengkuazmil:

I'm glad u dun hv kids RT @jfkjohan: I'm all for having babies on d plane. I'm just not a fan of them who cry 24/7. Tranquilize them, I say!

I'm impressed by how both CEOs of MH and AK personally participate on social media! Makes me think that they really care about their customers to want to go that extra step to reach out to their pax. Virgin Australia has an impressive social media team but John Borghetti himself doesn't engage with social media. QF has a pretty poor, fragmented social media strategy.

Edited by Keith T

Not sure whether it's their intention, but this is probably their best publicity and did manage to win over some supporters. Better than spending a hefty amount on advertisements.

Not sure whether it's their intention, but this is probably their best publicity and did manage to win over some supporters. Better than spending a hefty amount on advertisements.

Agreed. BA and another airlines (can't remember) are considering the same policy. At least MH has become a well-known pioneer on something.

Hi Guys,

Found this in youtube,

:) :good:

Sorry,

here is the link to youtube

This is a very good promo for MAS. Though MAS stewardesses not so famous as SIA's Singapore girl,but they still not less in term of services. And facially,i think MAS stewardesses are prettier.

There were definitely different points of views, some agreed while some were offended by the very idea of it.

Seriously, did MH underestimate its cabin crews for not able to assisting parents to pacify the babies? I was on board on MH domestic flight once, KUL - KCH on Airbus330 during CNY, the flight was full house. There was a mother having problem in dealing with her crying baby, immediately there were two crews approaching and helping the mother to make some milk and pacifying the baby by making jokes and funny faces. Then, the baby was pacified....

Rather than banning babies, what about finding a solution to pacify the babies.

There were definitely different points of views, some agreed while some were offended by the very idea of it.

Seriously, did MH underestimate its cabin crews for not able to assisting parents to pacify the babies? I was on board on MH domestic flight once, KUL - KCH on Airbus330 during CNY, the flight was full house. There was a mother having problem in dealing with her crying baby, immediately there were two crews approaching and helping the mother to make some milk and pacifying the baby by making jokes and funny faces. Then, the baby was pacified....

Rather than banning babies, what about finding a solution to pacify the babies.

Maybe the resources to handle babies on board i.e. crew training is inadequate at the moment. Besides, babies cry for varies reasons so a deeper understanding on the behavior of these customers maybe required i.e. could be sick, hungry or just wanted to get a hug.

Just my 2 sens opinion.

Sign in to follow this