MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Teoh Z Yao

Should an SIA Girl sleep among passenger seats?

Have you come across an SIA (Singapore Airlines) girl sleeping beside you on a long-haul flight? If you have, you weren't dreaming, because she was probably taking a break.

That was what one traveller, who wanted to be known as Tan, found out after he saw some Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight attendants resting in the last few rows of the economy-class seats on his flight back to Singapore from Christchurch, New Zealand

"I was on a long flight back, about nine hours, and I was amazed to see the stewardesses on the flight take their rest among the passengers.

"Despite this, some passengers kept asking them for drinks even though they were clearly on their break," Tan told The New Paper.

He also questioned why the crew was not given a private rest area away from the view of other passengers.

It is understood that there are no bunks for in-flight crew onboard some SIA flights to and from Christchurch and Auckland as the aircraft used for the flights -- a variant of the Boeing 777 -- do not come with crew bunks. That has been the situation since last July.

SIA spokesman Nicholas Ionides said the absence of bunks on these flights was in line with guidelines set by the Air Operator Certificate Requirements. It states that rest is only mandatory for cabin crew members who are on duty for 14 hours or more.

"Notwithstanding that, we set aside a block of economy-class seats on medium-haul flights on the particular aircraft type for our crew to rest during breaks," added Ionides.

On such flights, six economy-class seats are set aside for the crew members to rest. On average, SIA has 14 to 15 cabin crew members and three cockpit on a flight.

However, the airline did not comment on why crew bunks were no longer provided for those working that particular route.

Meanwhile, image consultant Elaine Heng said that the sight of the crew sleeping could adversely impact the airline's branding and image.

"The crew represents the airline. They're expected to be well groomed and professional, but you can't do that when told to sleep and rest in full view of the passengers," she added.

Flight attendants who spoke to the same paper said that such situations create an awkward environment between crew and passengers. One crew said the rest seats are marked only by a red sticker.

"Most times, passengers don't even know what the red stickers mean and some passengers get annoyed when we tell them those seats are meant for cabin crew use," he said.

Another flight attendant lamented that because they are resting in the cabin, passengers would still approach them for service.

"I rest very little during these flights, which is exhausting, considering the journey to Auckland is nearly 10 hours," she said.

One brand consultant, who declined to be named, said the response from the flight attendants reflect the need for private rest facilities.

Passengers may not know the attendants are on their breaks, and this could lead to the perception that flight attendants are sleeping on the job.

Regular SIA passenger Dexter Ng, 23, told Yahoo! Singapore the crew should not be blamed in this case.

"From a humane point of view, it is understandable for them to rest because it can get pretty exhausting.

"But it is up to the management to provide them a private resting area because it will create an impression that the flight attendants are unprofessional," he said.

I personally think this will tarnish the brand name... Not sightly to see service crews rest among us, but then why I find it ok to see crews dining among us...? Ironic... :-P

Source.

I don't think it's quite professional to sit on passengers seat. There are designed seats for them during take off and landing.

I don't think it's quite professional to sit on passengers seat. There are designed seats for them during take off and landing.

But those seats don't look comfortable to sleep in. The cabin crew jump seat is a non-recline 90 degree seat. Not to mention total lack of privacy if you were to sleep on it! At Y-Class at least you aren't as visible among the rows of seats.

2661513021_8be7bfca84_m.jpg

It's the only way to sleep for the FA work in SIA...

At least they don't sleep like this mah...

AirAsia.jpg

Haha, I actually got that in email circulation and even accusing it was AirAsia... haha

Actually, their image would improve in my eyes if they were allowed to rest on passenger seats. I mean, they seem to be treated like robots already, so if SQ were to look more humane, I would be more pleased.

Many airlines do the same too, don't they ? I remember seeing MAS blocked two rows of EY seats off on their 772 for crew rest a few years ago and we all know that MAS 772 does come with crew bunks. I'm also pretty sure MAS has no choice but to block a few seats in both EY and JCL for crew rest for medium/long-haul flights operated by their 333. BR blocks 6 seats in EY on their 332 for long-haul flights but there is a curtain.

There is nothing to shout about ....... it is a standard industry practice ......... :rolleyes:

Either that guy (Tan) has not seen it before or that was his first time ever onboard of an aircraft ..... :blink:

:hi:

I've seen a RBA crew sit with passengers during my flight to UK( I think 2 extra trainee stewardess)..Once in Dubai they disembark...

Crew usually have their uniform covered with a cardigan (for females) or a vest (for males) during the rest time on the last row of the seats. I am surprised its being made into such a big deal with issues of branding and image being a concern when it is actually a standard industry practice.

Actually, their image would improve in my eyes if they were allowed to rest on passenger seats. I mean, they seem to be treated like robots already, so if SQ were to look more humane, I would be more pleased.

I certainly would not mind snuggling close to her :pardon: :rolleyes:

Many airlines do the same too, don't they ? I remember seeing MAS blocked two rows of EY seats off on their 772 for crew rest a few years ago and we all know that MAS 772 does come with crew bunks. I'm also pretty sure MAS has no choice but to block a few seats in both EY and JCL for crew rest for medium/long-haul flights operated by their 333. BR blocks 6 seats in EY on their 332 for long-haul flights but there is a curtain.

Same here...

Maybe it's advisable to select your seat before departure?

Edited by Waiping

There is nothing to shout about ....... it is a standard industry practice ......... :rolleyes:

Either that guy (Tan) has not seen it before or that was his first time ever onboard of an aircraft ..... :blink:

:hi:

I beg to differ... Although it's standard practice, it is to me pretty unsightly to see a stewardess who served you so sweetly two hours ago dozing off at the seat next to you. If I were a cabin crew, I would not feel comfortable taking a nap in the presence of passengers. All said, this is just my personal opinion if I were a cabin crew. :)

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

I used to fly SQ's 743 Big Top and also one row of EY seats were blocked off for crew rest. However the crew would change to non-uniform outfits before taking their rest. Not sure why they are not doing it this time...

I used to fly SQ's 743 Big Top and also one row of EY seats were blocked off for crew rest. However the crew would change to non-uniform outfits before taking their rest. Not sure why they are not doing it this time...

Too tired maybe.

When cc/fa/pilot are on re-positioning flight, they are on uniform and sit among pax (normally on last few rows). What is wrong if they rest or sleep? :sorry: :pardon:

When cc/fa/pilot are on re-positioning flight, they are on uniform and sit among pax (normally on last few rows). What is wrong if they rest or sleep? :sorry: :pardon:

But tech crews normally wear a vest to cover the epaulettes or remove them completely to show that they're not on duty. This is even done during their rest periods. Do the flight attendants have a way to show that they're not on duty?

FAs should be allocated the appropriate rows of seats in the far back (near cabin) for them to rest. The take-off and landing seats for the FAs are not suitable for long hours sitting. I rather they rest on the passengers instead. However, in the many discussion and disclosures about FAs , heavily booked flights may not have such allocation to the FAs. Thus, these poor FAs would have to make do like sleeping sitting on carts, or even on sitting on the floor in the cabin. These would be unsightly indeed.

I have no problem having them sleep /rest on the passenger seats as long as their services is up to level. And for them to do that, they needed the rest. I understand this, thus my conclusion.

The world must have gone mad.

Really, some people have nothing better to do! Taking pictures and put on Facebook or Youtube.....let others comment, comment and comment. Really nothing to do??! If the guy/lady who took the picture is a first timer, he/she is forgiven...

So what if they are having a rest? They are human as well. Those B777-200ER plying NZ most probably has no crew bunk rest. Airlines around the world do that, its a standard operating procedures. I hope those two Singapore Girls are not reprimanded for this.

Human of Earth there are more critical issues on Earth that we need to solve, don't spend your time on trivial matters like this one~~~

Peace on Earth! :pardon: :yahoo:

Sign in to follow this