MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

Hopefully he has the Malaysian aviation industry in his mind rather than his own interests.

His own interests now include 20.5% of MAS. :)

Edited by flee

I know, I know that I rarely post anything in this forum, but I visit this it daily. Seeing MH up and down, up....down....this company is in a real mess. I mean, the airline apparently does not even have a set of principles to hold onto regardless during bad or good times. Lack of consistent branding I think is one of them.

MAS keen on oneworld

PETALING JAYA: In just a couple of days, national carrier Malaysia Airlines (MAS) seems to have seen the light in finding the right alliance to be part of. MAS said it remains focused on joining oneworld alliance, following the formal invitation to join the pact on June 6.

The picture wasn't so clear on Tuesday when its new management had then indicated to analysts that it was reviewing the tie-up and could consider another alliance, SkyTeam.

“The airline is currently working diligently to meet the alliance requirements, to ensure that it becomes a full member soonest possible, subject to the relevant regulatory approvals being obtained. The airline is hopeful that the oneworld alliance membership can materialise within the first half of next year, and would coincide with the introduction into service of its flagship A380 aircraft,” the airline said in the statement.

Recall that MAS was unanimously elected by the chief executives of the alliance's member airlines at the 2011 International Air Transport Association conference in Singapore, under the leadership of then MAS managing director Tengku Datuk Seri Azmil Zahruddin. MAS is currently a member-elect for the oneworld alliance, sponsored by Qantas Airways.

But airline analysts were told during Tuesday's conference call on the airline's second-quarter results that the current MAS management was re-evaluating the decision of joining oneworld, and that opting for membership with SkyTeam would serve the airline better as there would be no route overlap.

Management indicated that SkyTeam was a better alliance for MAS as this would allow it to embark on new routes without having to compete with other alliance members such as Qantas Airways, Cathay Pacific and British Airways but a firm decision on which alliance to join would be made in a month or two.

However, some analysts highlighted that there were more route overlap should MAS join SkyTeam as Garuda, Vietnam Airways and Air France-KLM are SkyTeam members and all serve Kuala Lumpur.

“On the other hand, none of the oneworld alliance members serves KL, which means MAS is in an excellent position to benefit,” Maybank Investment Bank said in its report.

Meanwhile, MAS said that it was also reviewing its product offering on its new long-haul aircraft deliveries, especially the wide-body A380 and A330 aircraft. “With the combination of oneworld membership, “best-in-class” product and the airline's world renowned service standards, MAS is confident that revenues and yields would improve, and that 2012 would see a positive turnaround for the airline's finances.

MAS' impending oneworld membership would also lead to easier transfers, code-shares, joint ventures and greater route access amongst alliance partners, as well as benefit passengers in terms of miles points, lounge and other rewards,” it said.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/27/business/9381973&sec=business

The article above in The Star Online is indeed a very poorly researched one.

I was shocked ... that MAS is even re-thinking its entry into oneworld. Whatever merits there are of joining any alliance should have been clear to any MAS management - old or new - not to mention other seen or unseen forces that dictates the induction of new airlines into an alliance.

oneworld

I was positively surprised when I realised about 10 minutes before Qantas and MAS announced plans for the latter to join oneworld. This happened at the start of a new day at the 67th IATA AGM in Singapore and I met a MAS' senior PR lady. As soon as she gave me her card, I immediately sensed what was imminent and asked her if MAS is being invited into oneworld which was hosting that media event. She said she could not confirm or deny that ... which literally confirmed it.

My reservation about this development is the absence of two of oneworld's key members - BA and QF - in the Malaysian market, particularly QF as the sponsor airline. I have also reservation about MAS' management to work alongside those of BA/QF/CX - with the latter group's very Anglo-centric mindset, and I have voiced this in previous postings in Mwings. If oneworld's carriers do not hub in KUL in a major way, the alliance will find it difficult to tap into the merits of MAS' network. CX and JL don't really need to tap into MAS' network as they serve most of the key cities in this region with their own metal.

Skyteam

MAS has been keen on and was indeed pursuing Skyteam membership for years ... supported strongly by KLM's Petr Hartmann. But even this support was not able to win over the agreement of Air France. Now that Skyteam has got Vietnam Airlines and is also getting Garuda, what is in it for Skyteam if MAS wants to join in? Isn't it the same case IF MAS wishes to join Star Alliance when TG and SQ are just north and south of Malaysia?

Would it not be a most embarassing situation if MAS were to tell oneworld to scoot off ... and then Skyteam rejects its membership request? And now that oneworld carriers - especially Qantas - are aware of MAS re-think, would they not feel slighted?

KC Sim

Typical Malaysian ignorant journalists. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I read

“On the other hand, none of the oneworld alliance members serves KL, which means MAS is in an excellent position to benefit,” Maybank Investment Bank said in its report

This is even more worrisome than "ignorant journalists" :D

MAS needs to stay on track to join OneWorld. SA doesn;t need them and neither does ST. OW is the way to go and I believe it will actually benefit MAS more than the current OW members.

Agree - MH needs OW if it is to fill its A380s with premium fare pax. Now they need to focus on getting the A380 product absolutely right.

Agree - MH needs OW if it is to fill its A380s with premium fare pax. Now they need to focus on getting the A380 product absolutely right.

Here's hoping that the product on the A380 has a wow factor. They missed a wonderful opportunity with the new A333 (although they did do a good job with the Y cabin) and the new B738.

It appears the new management team at MAS has dropped the notion of re-evaluating the merits of Skyteam and has decided to stay on the road towards oneworld membership.

I am relieved to learn of this because I personally don't think it would be any less difficult for MAS to gain entry into Skyteam today as it was several years ago. It is in fact a near certainty that the door has already slammed shut there.

Now, it would be interesting to see a MAS aircraft in oneworld livery.

KC Sim

KC Sim, exactly what i was thinking. Maybe the first A380 can be painted in their retro (pre 1987) livery on 1 side and oneworld livery on the other side!

Maybe the first A380 can be painted in their retro (pre 1987) livery on 1 side and oneworld livery on the other side!

Cynics will claim that is manifestation of MAS' schizophrenic character - flip-flopping between past glories (real, perceived or otherwise) and current seemingly half hearted attempt at OW membership :p

On serious note, one of the reasons previously quoted for rethinking joining an alliance was the cost of getting hardware (lounges etc) up to scratch. Are MH's lounges really that worse off compared to current OW members' ? And has this affordability issue been resolved yet ?

i have always thought that MH's lounges were some of the best in the world (not that I have used them). Anyways, if they join oneworld, they can share lounge access with their partners, can't they?? I think some of the reasons the MAS board (OR the stupid journalists OR even the investment houses) quote are ridiculous and shows their lack of basic understanding of the aviation sector. I hope it was NOT from the MAS board, cos they should all be sacked if it is.

On serious note, one of the reasons previously quoted for rethinking joining an alliance was the cost of getting hardware (lounges etc) up to scratch. Are MH's lounges really that worse off compared to current OW members' ? And has this affordability issue been resolved yet ?

MH's lounges are better than the Qantas Club and BA Galleries. I've experienced all of them and MH's lounge in LHR and KUL are much much better.

MH's lounges are better than the Qantas Club and BA Galleries. I've experienced all of them and MH's lounge in LHR and KUL are much much better.

I suppose the concern of MH is essentially in providing lounge acess worldwide. Currently, MH relies on other, mostly non-OW carriers for lounge acess apart from a handful overseas MH lounges in LHR, SYD, HKG, SIN and various other airports. (Pardon me for my ignorance)

When you say better....do you mean overall in terms of food offering, lounge facilities like toilet/showers/computers/printers/wifi and seating arrangements/settings ?

i have always thought that MH's lounges were some of the best in the world (not that I have used them). Anyways, if they join oneworld, they can share lounge access with their partners, can't they??

MH Business Lounge is really nice (haven't been in there, but from the pictures I see, it looks really good). The best first class lounge (or rather terminal in my case) I've ever been to is Lufthansa First Class Terminal (FCT) in Frankfurt! Nothing beats private security, private passport control (you don't even hang on to your passport - you give your passport to the agent at check-in and then they will give you back prior to boarding with all immigration formalities done for you), private duty free-shop, cigar lounge (with complimentary cigars), fine dining (made-to-order menu items), personally chauffeured to your plane in a Porsche (Paramera or Cayenne) or a Mercedes (S-Class or whatever that van is called if there is a group of people boarding the same flight) and of course, a bathtub complete with a yellow rubber ducky at their FCT!

I suppose the concern of MH is essentially in providing lounge acess worldwide. Currently, MH relies on other, mostly non-OW carriers for lounge acess apart from a handful overseas MH lounges in LHR, SYD, HKG, SIN and various other airports. (Pardon me for my ignorance)

I don't think they need to provide lounge access to OW members worldwide. MH elites can use other OW lounges which will save them from opening one in HKG etc. I believe there is a pretty decent lounge for all OW members in most cities served by MH.

Edited by Craig

MH may have the best lounge in LHR, KUL, SYD, MEL, etc and cabin crews but couldn’t attract more J pax than QF, BA, SQ, CX, EK on kangaroo route :pardon:

I do agree with KKLee's statement.

But, why this thing happens? Unattractive fares? Old planes? Incompetent hardware and softtare? Lousy service?

And let us forummers here discuss, or perhaps give some ideas on attracting premium pax to fly MH. After all, it is not wrong to be patriotic rite? As some of us here looooove to bash, why don't we stand together to give ideas to bring back MH to the 'premium league'.

i cant really give any ideas now, i have been patriotic all my life. i used to take MH all the time from LHR to KUL vv but now I can fly EK and SQ for half the price. i dont really want to fly SQ but my wallet is not bottomless!

the management board of MH has had enough time to think things through and/or LEARN from other SUCCESSFUL airlines.

all i can say is that there are unseen hands reaching down from above ... these should be removed from the equation for MH to sort itself out.

i cant really give any ideas now, i have been patriotic all my life. i used to take MH all the time from LHR to KUL vv but now I can fly EK and SQ for half the price. i dont really want to fly SQ but my wallet is not bottomless!

the management board of MH has had enough time to think things through and/or LEARN from other SUCCESSFUL airlines.

all i can say is that there are unseen hands reaching down from above ... these should be removed from the equation for MH to sort itself out.

Likewise for me, I lost Enrich Silver status but obtained Silver on both SQ and TG in the same year :p