MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

Likewise for me, I lost Enrich Silver status but obtained Silver on both SQ and TG in the same year :p

I have ditched MH for any other reasonable/safe carrier unless forced by unavoidable circumstances. But I still visit this site ritualistically, almost daily, in the hope of good news and a better tomorrow for MH. And I continue to hope... and hope...

I have ditched MH for any other reasonable/safe carrier unless forced by unavoidable circumstances. But I still visit this site ritualistically, almost daily, in the hope of good news and a better tomorrow for MH. And I continue to hope... and hope...

Now that the red one has a say in MH's direction and future, I have this concern that 'now everyone can only hope' :p

Lack of an alliance is one key factor.

Totally agree. Premium/business travellers tend to travel a lot. You want an alliance that recognises that. Flying MH doesn't give you that unless you fly with them all the time. When MH is a part of OW, they'll gain a lot of OW premium/business passengers who want a one-stop service between Australia and Europe because currently this is only available to London and Frankfurt (on OW metal). MH will provided one-stop flights to Amsterdam, Paris, Rome and Istanbul. Don't foget that MH also has rights to fly into many other European destinations (should they choose to). This is a very attractive option for top-end passengers. OW passengers currently need to endure 2 stops and LHR, which a lot of people do try to avoid (unless it's your final destination).

As a OW member, MH becomes much more attractive because it's a good airline with a good business product that allows you to earn miles and status with a global alliance.

Edited by Josh T

I have read somewhere in newspaper a few days ago, MH is still deciding the 'right' alliance for them. Is that Uncle Tony's idea?

No. They are definitely going ahead with OneWorld, which is the right decision.

No. They are definitely going ahead with OneWorld, which is the right decision.

They even move forward from the 2nd half of 2012 to the 1st half, the formal entry into OneWorld...according the Dutch press it should coincide with the A380 introduction/entry in to the MH fleet...

The airline is hopeful that the membership with Oneworld would materialise within the first half of next year, and coincide with the introduction into service of its flagship A380 aircraft.

Bernama

oneworld A380, anyone?

Well, the new management committee did a very quick review of this but concluded that joining OW was a good decision. So its entry will be accelerated. See: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16474&view=findpost&p=289459

That would be great for me if MH officially joins OW in the first half of 2012. :drinks:

there is uusally no miles transfer between programs but you can use QF miles to redeem seats on MH and vice versa.

At least there is some good news this week. Hope they really accelerate it.

I can't wait to start earning Enrich miles when I fly QF. Enrich platinum (and therefore OW emerald) will be a no-brainer! :yahoo:

As far as i am concerned, BA Executive Club is the only OW FFP that gives frequent flyer miles even on the lowest fare class. So it means i may just be able to start earning frequent flyer miles again on MAS domestic flights (the cheapest fare category) :good:

As far as i am concerned, BA Executive Club is the only OW FFP that gives frequent flyer miles even on the lowest fare class. So it means i may just be able to start earning frequent flyer miles again on MAS domestic flights (the cheapest fare category) :good:

Oooh. I hadn't thought of that. If QFF allows me to earn points on the cheapest MH domestic fares, that would be perfect but I doubt this will happen, especially if these cheap fares don't even earn on Enrich itself. The best example of this is the cheapest fares on OS (Austrian) don't earn miles on UA's Mileage Plus.

Say it costs 30,000 miles to travel from A to B and I have 20,000 Enrich and 10,000 BA/QF.. Can I redeem it?

Er...no. It doesn't work like that. :nea:

MH should plug the gaping hole in oneworld's direct connectivity between South America and South Africa. Once that's done I can plan my RTW trip with oneworld. :)

do it on MH/LA (:

Oooh. I hadn't thought of that. If QFF allows me to earn points on the cheapest MH domestic fares, that would be perfect but I doubt this will happen, especially if these cheap fares don't even earn on Enrich itself. The best example of this is the cheapest fares on OS (Austrian) don't earn miles on UA's Mileage Plus.

That's the beauty of BA Executive Club. CX Asia Miles doesn't allow mileage accrual on certain deeply discounted EY fare classes but BA does, even if it is a CX-coded, CX operated flight :good:

Er...no. It doesn't work like that. :nea:

So would it be possible to transfer miles between programmes then?

Last time I checked it is still not possible......u can transfer or change ur credit cards points to miles though....

Definitely not. No programme allows that.

A step closer.

MAS joins oneworld's Global explorer fare

Published: 2012/01/31

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...#ixzz1l2bHHJtq

The world’s premier global airline alliance, oneworld, will include Malaysia Airlines' (MAS) full global schedule involving around 60 destinations worldwide in its Global Explorer fare starting tomorrow.

The alliance's other round-the-world fare is oneworld Explorer.

With the inclusion, MAS will be one of the most attractive networks in Southeast Asia for round-the-world fares offered by all members of the alliance and selected other airlines, the national carrier said in a statement today.

"This represents a first step by MAS towards becoming a full member of oneworld, which is on track for later this year.

"By then MAS will start participating in the full range of the alliance’s fares and offer all other services and benefits of the alliance to customers," it added.

MAS said through this coverage, almost 20 more cities of its network in Southeast Asia, including Brunei and Myanmar, will be added to the Global Explorer map, expanding the round-the-world’s global reach to more than 900 destinations in nearly 150 countries.

Global Explorer covers all routes offered by oneworld’s existing member airlines including American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malév Hungarian Airlines, Royal Jordanian and Russia's S7 plus some 20 affiliated carriers.

It is also offered by a number of airlines that have no links with oneworld including Aer Lingus, Air Pacific, Alaska Airlines and its Horizon Airlines sister, Gulf Air and Meridianafly.

Flights carrying the Qantas code but operated by Air Tahiti Nui, Jetstar, South African Airways and Vietnam Airlines are also included.

Bookings and ticketing for this fare can be made direct with system-wide ticket offices of both MAS and oneworld member airlines as well as the other participating airlines.

This fare is also available through all appointed agents of these airlines. -- BERNAMA