MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

I saw MH's code at LAX a few weeks ago and I was surprised that this was not announced anywhere. Flying via HKG is so much easier and better than via NRT which usually involves an overnight or lengthy layover.

I thought CX (and KA) and MH already have codeshare agreements between MY and HK already?

Mean code share from kul to hkg to u.s on CX metal rather than mh on kul/hkg sector.

Unless mh code share ticket is cheaper than CX ticket, no point buying mh ticket.

Unless mh code share ticket is cheaper than CX ticket, no point buying mh ticket.

Agreed. Even KA is selling a good amount of ticket to USA and Canada ex-BKI at very competitive price. Flight time is very good too with short transit time at HKG.

Mueller: No business partnerships for MAS in next 6 months

Does it mean MAB is out from OW?

Assume that would mean new partnerships? Pulling MAS out of OW would be suicidal with how the network has shrunk.

According in news Astro Awani today, newco MAB will be move to new HQ in KLIA & SZB based will be closed including MRO.

Finally they took in some common sense to consolidate all business operations at one place except FY.

Perhaps MH's OW membership will be 'suspended' until further notice. Like what have happened to Mexicana (collapsed but was active in OW website for another one more year before they officially took it off).

Finally they took in some common sense to consolidate all business operations at one place except FY.

Perhaps MH's OW membership will be 'suspended' until further notice. Like what have happened to Mexicana (collapsed but was active in OW website for another one more year before they officially took it off).

Suspension. Is ofcourse possible, but I really don't see this happening, it would cause such massive head aches as I imagine it would affect any reservation with a codeshare flight which would this need to be rebooked. On the frequent flyers side people would not be able to redeem or earn miles.

So MH remains the airline's code, eventhough the name is changing - https://twitter.com/fhavg/status/605273689676873729

This is not surprising.

The 777 & A330 J will be refurbished & new IFE to be introduced - https://twitter.com/FHavg/status/605276963754762240

They really can't do this soon enough. Edited by D Singh

Suspension. Is ofcourse possible, but I really don't see this happening, it would cause such massive head aches as I imagine it would affect any reservation with a codeshare flight which would this need to be rebooked. On the frequent flyers side people would not be able to redeem or earn miles.

No suspension of oneworld membership - https://twitter.com/fhavg/status/605284185800990720

Was considered, but eventually something else was (is going to be?) proposed.

Cannot put all eggs in one basket and expect MH to stay in OneWorld. Even in the short term, that is not a given.. So... stay tuned :)

MAHB will release an updated biz plan for 2016-2020 in due time. A lot more will be revealed I think.

BTW, Satellite B is not a given.

MAB to exit oneworld, per confirmation above.

This is in line with Mueller's past record:

- Aer Lingus exited oneworld during his tenure.

A bit of correction:

-EI left OW in March 2007

-Mueller joined EI on 1 October 2009: http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0718/631536-christoph-mueller-aer-lingus/

-More interestingly, it was during Mueller's tenure, EI looked at possibility of rejoining an alliance: http://atwonline.com/news/aer-lingus-looking-join-alliance

Even if they do exit or will be exiting - and I'm not suggesting that they are or will - it is a stretch to say that what was posted in a separate topic about a new terminal for KLIA as confirmation of MH's imminent exit from OW. There is simply NO confirmation per se.

MAB needs oneworld now more than ever to reach out to more destinations after massive cut in US and EU zone.

To undo the membership is really waste of money after MAB (MAS) has spent so much money on promoting oneworld in their A&P......

Azizul, I never confirmed anything! :D

I just said that from MAHB's perspective, we have to always consider the possibility that MH exits OneWorld. We can't build a OneWorld terminal if MH's position is not entirely concrete.

Anyway, in terms of equity, it was bandied about that MH sell a stake to QF, and then ultimately to IAG. That was back then, of course. Who knows what Khazanah has in plan now.

I just said that from MAHB's perspective, we have to always consider the possibility that MH exits OneWorld. We can't build a OneWorld terminal if MH's position is not entirely concrete.

The new terminal doesn't necessarily have to be dedicated to OW. It's not like many connecting passengers transfer between OW carriers here. Edited by Chris Tan

The new terminal doesn't necessarily have to be dedicated to OW. It's not like many connecting passengers transfer between OW carriers here.

Yes, the terminal does not have to be dedicated to OW, as I already mentioned.

This thread might unfortunately create some confusion. I did not at all say "MH is confirmed exiting OW"...

The new terminal doesn't necessarily have to be dedicated to OW. It's not like many connecting passengers transfer between OW carriers here.

Yes, the terminal does not have to be dedicated to OW, as I already mentioned.

This thread might unfortunately create some confusion. I did not at all say "MH is confirmed exiting OW"...

One terminal for one airline alliance proves to be hard to accommodate to. The only one successful one thus far is in London Heathrow, even that takes some time to pan out.

Changi wanted to put all Star Alliance partners in T3 after it was built, SkyTeam in T1 and oneworld and other non aligned airlines in T2. However even to today we can see Star Alliance partners are well spread out though all three terminal.

To make the matter more complicated, CX will be reassigned to upcoming T4 which is meant for budget carriers!!

Malaysia Airlines CEO re-engages with Oneworld, reboots Enrich

Malaysia Airlines plans to be a more active member of the Oneworld alliance, says CEO Peter Bellew while also launching "a complete reboot" of its Enrich frequent flyer scheme.

The Malaysian flag-carrier joined Oneworld in early 2013 under the sponsorship of Qantas.
“But I think we did very little with Oneworld,” Bellew tells Australian Business Traveller, adding that the airline sometimes dropped the ball by not being “a very active” partner.
“There were some mistakes made in the past, we’ve had to make a few apologies, eat a bit of humble pie and admit we were the weakest link in the chain.”

Some updates from www.routesonline.com

Malaysia Airlines begins Cathay Pacific Trans-Pacific codeshare in S18

Malaysia Airlines starting next week is expanding codeshare partnership with Cathay Pacific, covering the latter’s selected service to the US. From 25MAR18, planned new codeshare routes as follow.

Malaysia Airlines operated by Cathay Pacific
Hong Kong – Los Angeles
Hong Kong – New York JFK
Hong Kong – San Francisco

Edited by kandiah k