MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

oneworld effects:

- HKG goes A380 (as discussed in the A380 thread).

- BNE goes daily. http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/01/mh-bne-sep13/

I suppose some other long haul routes like KUL-FRA and KUL-AKL will also get the same treatment soon.

I'm not sure what it means but if I recall correctly when AJ talked about the A330 during the unveiling he mentioned about how it will "fly to Europe, New Zealand & LA" - have the management made a decision about the 777 fleet?

I could be wrong, I need to see the live stream video again.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

From AA website.. http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/malaysiaairlines.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=malaysiaairlines Enjoy More Options with Malaysia AirlinesEnjoy more routes to Southeast Asia and beyond with our enhanced codeshare relationship with the newest oneworld® member, Malaysia Airlines. Plus, AAdvantage® members will be able to earn and redeem AAdvantage miles on Malaysia Airlines flights. Beginning February 24, you can book travel starting March 1 between Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and:
  • Paris (CDG), London (LHR), and Frankfurt (FRA)
  • Tokyo (NRT)

And, coming soon, routes between Kuala Lumpur and:

• Kinablu (BKI), Phuket (HKT), Kuching (KCH), Kuantan (KUA), Labuan (LBU), Phnom Penh (PNH), and Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)

Miles you earn on Malaysia Airlines flights will count toward elite status qualification, and if you’re an AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® member you can earn elite status bonus miles on most oneworld airlines.

Great to hear that. What about the sole route to USA - LAX? Not listed? As well as the Australian cities? Surprised to see LBU in the list. PEN is not listed probably due to existing One World member serving there.

Will you gain miles on CX /KA's deeply discounted tix with MH Enrich though?May be time for me to apply for miles with BA. :)Actually I prefer the name to be Kinabalu rather than Kota Kinabalu...
I prefer Jesselton. Hehe.

Great to hear that. What about the sole route to USA - LAX? Not listed? As well as the Australian cities? Surprised to see LBU in the list. PEN is not listed probably due to existing One World member serving there.

I think you've answered your question right there. AA already serve LAX-NRT & MH flies LAX-NRT-KUL.

Whoever is in charge of branding at MAS really isn't doing a good job in my opinion. Sekejap biru, sekejap merah.. What's this man..

i think the branding is fine... it is consistent throughout.. its just colours for product differentiation, its not like they are using a different logo altogether.

look at the london 2012 logo for example, got how many colour variations

There is a strong possibility that MAS will pull out or suspend NRT-LAX vv sooner than later.

I don't think so - the loads for NRT-LAX/LAX-NRT was good back in October when I flew.

In fact, looking at the schedule AA only offer one direct flight to NRT & one direct codeshare with JL.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I think you've answered your question right there. AA already serve LAX-NRT & MH flies LAX-NRT-KUL.

I mean codesharing on MH plane for the one and only one direct flight between Malaysia and USA.

MAS will code share with other carrier. Even though load is good but MAS is still losing on NRT-LAX vv sectors. I do not have to provide a source but that's in the plan. In fact, there are routes where pax loads are good but it is

not profitable, example LHR and AKL

MAS will code share with other carrier. Even though load is good but MAS is still losing on NRT-LAX vv sectors. I do not have to provide a source but that's in the plan. In fact, there are routes where pax loads are good but it is

not profitable, example LHR and AKL

Well, yield is always an issue for airlines to manage - airlines that manage their yields well tend to be profitable.

Many people equate load to profits. That is not always the case. MH should probably stop operating their own metal if the KUL-NRT-LAX yield is insufficient. With their entry into oneworld, there are plenty of code sharing opportunities now.

It is about time that MH operate on a more commercial footing so that it becomes a profitable airline.

I don't think so - the loads for NRT-LAX/LAX-NRT was good back in October when I flew.

Yield to LAX is known to be poor and having losing since started, even while MH was reporting hundred of millions profit during Mr 019 reign, this route was losing about RM8 million per month. Believe MH could only attract high yield pax if offer daily service but lack suitable aircraft.

If MH stops the NRT-LAX route and code shares with either AA or JAL, what kind of the services that passengers would enjoy especially from those who already used to fly MH? I don't think its a huge matter with JAL but AA is a hit-and-miss since many know that any US carriers are crappy when they come to soft products.

In fact, there are routes where pax loads are good but it is not profitable, example LHR and AKL

So finally, admission that the flagship route is also bleeding ?

And to think it was once claimed that domestic cross-South China Sea operations were such a drain on profitability that the international operations were subsidizing travel for us east Malaysians :)

So finally, admission that the flagship route is also bleeding ?

And to think it was once claimed that domestic cross-South China Sea operations were such a drain on profitability that the international operations were subsidizing travel for us east Malaysians :)

Until the birth of AK, this was what MH and gomen wanted us to believe.

Well, as much as we are inclined to believe that MAS still hasn't got its act together, these are serious allegations we're making here. Can we at least cite some sources? If not, these are just plain old rumors that happen all too often in M'sia.

Dont really think that they will axe NRT-LAX. I think they did see a potential for that route. If not that route already being axe earlier during the route rationalization plan and not many ppls will question about it as compare if they plan to axe it later. In fact they did increase it from 3x weekly to 4weekly tho not really significant i think. What they need is a good premium product and going it daily, and the right type of a/c also play important part.

Edited by nrazmoor

Will you gain miles on CX /KA's deeply discounted tix with MH Enrich though?

No. Enrich doesn't give any miles on CX/KA deeply discounted Y ticket.

May be time for me to apply for miles with BA. :)

If you often travel on a deeply discounted CX Y ticket, yeah. You should :)

Actually I prefer the name to be Kinabalu rather than Kota Kinabalu...

Most people I know don't fancy either version, be it with Kota or without Kota :) Kinabalu is not a good name in Kadazan/Dusun.

I prefer Jesselton. Hehe.

Most locals here feel the same :)

Well, yield is always an issue for airlines to manage - airlines that manage their yields well tend to be profitable.

Many people equate load to profits. That is not always the case. MH should probably stop operating their own metal if the KUL-NRT-LAX yield is insufficient. With their entry into oneworld, there are plenty of code sharing opportunities now.

It is about time that MH operate on a more commercial footing so that it becomes a profitable airline.

Agreed. CX alone offers more than 10x daily flights in each direction between HKG and NA. Edited by Isaac

....... these are serious allegations we're making here. Can we at least cite some sources? If not, these are just plain old rumors that happen all too often in M'sia.

Listen .... repeat 10x

(Moderators, please disable reply function now)

I know this, I know that, but I have no proof, so cannot cite sources as requested

You have a problem with that ? Everybody has problems. Animals have problems .......

Ikan yu (Pieter: sharks), they have major big problem with these chinese new year kenduris (Pieter: feasts) upcoming ......

:D

Melbourne Airport Chief Executive, Chris Woodruff said OneWorld was "lucky" to have MAS as a member. Woodruff said Melbourne would be ideal for an A380 service and the airport is working hard with the Malaysian and Australian authorities for A380s

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsbusiness.php?id=925589

Would love to see MH Dugongs flying Aussie route.. But I wonder if it would conflict with Qantas..

Edited by Syukri

Would love to see MH Dugongs flying Aussie route.. But I wonder if it would conflict with Qantas..

I think we will only see dugongs on MH's Aussie routes if the KUL-LHR and KUL-CDG routes do not deliver the necessary yields for MH. Besides, the Aussie govt. need to approve the additional seat capacity before MH can operate dugong flights.

The CDG and LHR services will take utilise 4 and a bit aircraft already. Together with the KUL-HKG runs, it means MH will need 5 aircraft to service these four routes.

So I do think that MH will only consider putting the dugong on the Aussie runs only if they pull something out of the European network.