MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

That's my worry too!

Judging by the number of complaints on other forums from BA and QF frequent fliers regarding the difficulty of redeeming their points for flights, there could well be an influx!

I'v never had a problem with redeeming my Enrich points for flights on MH and I hope the situation doesn't change when MH joins One World!

BAEC and QFF pax are NOT the ones you need to worry about. It's AAdvantage - and their lovely YQless awards :)

BAEC and QFF pax are NOT the ones you need to worry about. It's AAdvantage - and their lovely YQless awards

Oh, thats news to me. I've heard that they charge YQ on awards flights operated by certain airlines, including BA. I never get the chance to use my AA miles, hopefully I'll get to use them on MH. If it's YQless, I'll be even happier!

MH gets money for other airlines redeeming seats from other FF programmes, right?

MH gets money for other airlines redeeming seats from other FF programmes, right?

Yes. But it works the other way around as well. Here's roughly how it works:

Mr Josh T flies QF on a multi segment First class ticket, and presents his MH card

MH credits mr Josh T's account with say 100,000 enrich miles. QF pays MH for the 100,000 points MH gave to Mr Josh T

Then Mr Josh T redeems 100,000 enrich miles on CX.

MH issues CX flight ticket on 232 (MH) stock - MH collects all taxes and deducts miles from Mr Josh T's account.

Mr Josh T flies those flights as booked on CX, after which CX takes the coupon Mr Josh T "gave" to CX and check in and claims the "fare" from MH through clearing house.

Mr Josh T flies QF on a multi segment First class ticket, and presents his MH card

MH credits mr Josh T's account with say 100,000 enrich miles. QF pays MH for the 100,000 points MH gave to Mr Josh T

MH issues CX flight ticket on 232 (MH) stock - MH collects all taxes and deducts miles from Mr Josh T's account.

Mr Josh T flies those flights as booked on CX, after which CX takes the coupon Mr Josh T "gave" to CX and check in and claims the "fare" from MH through clearing house.

My goodness! How complicated.

We all learn something new everyday don't we ? Thanks for sharing :drinks:

I have three questions:

- Do you know what would be the "price per point" that, in your e.g., QF pays to MH?

- Similarly, what is the actual "fare" that MH pays/ transfers to CX?

- Presumably, MH will retain the fuel surcharges as it is the operating carrier, but who pays the airport authorities - CX or MH?

Do you know?

I have three questions:

- Do you know what would be the "price per point" that, in your e.g., QF pays to MH?

- Similarly, what is the actual "fare" that MH pays/ transfers to CX?

- Presumably, MH will retain the fuel surcharges as it is the operating carrier, but who pays the airport authorities - CX or MH?

Do you know?

1) No - i do not know, however from what i hear it is in the order of fraction of cents per mile - very small, and nowhere near what banks pay airlines

2) These are preagreed - do not know the quantum, but the splits are roughly the same as per the splits on multi airline revenue tickets (if redeeming on two or more airlines) i.e. Most Significant Carrier takes the lion's share.

3) Yes and no - issuing carrier retains YQ, regardless of who operates. Issuing carrier pays airport authorities.

Yikes, do all these FF miles need to be valued and taken up during audits ?

Must be a nightmare to try and work out these things (but then auditors are of a different breed anyway) :)

Yikes, do all these FF miles need to be valued and taken up during audits ?

Must be a nightmare to try and work out these things (but then auditors are of a different breed anyway) :)

Yep - they sit as liabilities on the balance sheet.

Yep - they sit as liabilities on the balance sheet.

A LIABILITY that comes to a great long term benefit for the airline as a brand loyalty . ( That is if it's done rightly)

MAS Eyeing US$100 Million Interlining Passengers' Revenue

PETALING JAYA, July 25 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is eyeing an additional US$100 million interlining passengers' revenue a year through the induction of the national carrier into the oneworld alliance early next year.

Senior Vice-President (International Affairs) Germal Singh Khera said the full-fledged premium carrier currently registers RM750 million annual interlining passenger revenue.

"We are foreseeing the additional revenue to roll-in as early as next year, with MAS completing all commercial agreements with all other members of the oneworld alliance.

"We are currently at the last lap of our project to synchronise our system to accommodate the oneworld alliance members to give our customers a better and holistic network coverage," he told a media briefing today.

Germal said MAS expects to conclude all work and officially join the alliance in the first quarter of next year.

Germal said MAS' inclusion into the oneworld alliance would also open up opportunities for the carrier to forge joint ventures in several initiatives with other airlines in the alliance.

Asked whether MAS would revisit the collaboration with Qantas Airways under oneworld alliance, he said: "Yes. It could be. It depends more on what we are looking at to joint venture."

On commercial agreements, Germal said MAS already has a code-sharing arrangement with several airlines, but would work on negotiations more aggressively once the airline joined the oneworld alliance.

"One step is to join the alliance. The second is to have commercial airlines with the carrier.

"We've now started the process as we are now in negotiations with most of the oneworld member carriers. We're looking to accomplish the negotiations by the first quarter of next year," he said.

In a related development, Oneworld's Vice-President (Corporate Communications) Michael Blunt said MAS would be the alliance's representative in the South East Asia region.

"We don't have a representative here. South East Asia is a place with many competitor airlines. As such, MAS' inclusion into oneworld will serve as the base for the region," he added.

Oneworld is one of the world's three largest global airline alliances, with its central management team, Oneworld Management Company, based in New York.

The alliance has an incomparable route network, covering more than 800 destinations in 150 countries, with MAS adding another 15 places and two countries when it joins the airline grouping next year.

The oneworld alliance brings together 11 of the biggest and best names in the global airline business and 20 affiliated carriers.

After MAS, the Sri Lankan Airlines will follow suit to be inducted into the alliance.

So, are we looking at the entry into OneWorld at Q4 2012 or Q1 2013 now?

crap. Was supposed to be this year.

Just as a point of interest: Every other One World member had an announcement on the exact date of joining precisely 7 weeks prior.

crap. Was supposed to be this year.

Just as a point of interest: Every other One World member had an announcement on the exact date of joining precisely 7 weeks[/b[ prior.

honestly hope this is true and MH surprises us with a Nov 2012 join date. Going to places where MH has no presence is really making it difficult to maintain Enrich as a primary FFP.

Edited by J Chong

There were some worries arose during the recent QR's oneworld inception event that the airline will complete its integration with other oneworld partners earlier than MH.

Sources said MH is just 'too slow'.

There were some worries arose during the recent QR's oneworld inception event that the airline will complete its integration with other oneworld partners earlier than MH.

MH accepted its invitation June 2011 and it's expected to join late 2012 or early 2013 (which is still within the time frame although on the slower side: 12-18 months are the norm). I believe the formal induction date will be announced 7 weeks prior.

But I don't believe QR will be formally inducted into OW before MH. MH will have delay for another year if that's the case.

MH seems to co-operate more with the members elect than the members itself. MH has code-sharing agreements with QR and UL and limited reciprocal FFP benefits with UL. Not even a single OW carrier has reciprocal FFP benefits with MH as of today!

Edited by Craig

I heard the magic date for completion of Oneworld integration is 12/12/12. By then AA & QF (I believe, I'm not sure about QF) will have reciprocal benefits. AY may be at the end of the month, while BA will be early next year.

I read the QR press release that its integration will also take 12-18mths, so late 2013 at the earliest.

I heard the magic date for completion of Oneworld integration is 12/12/12. By then AA & QF (I believe, I'm not sure about QF) will have reciprocal benefits. AY may be at the end of the month, while BA will be early next year.

The magic date for completion of OW integration means MH is fully integrated into OW (it can't be integrated with a few first). Or are you talking about code-share agreement?

If 12/12/12 is indeed the magic date, then from that day onwards, all OW benefits will apply to MH flights and vv (FFP benefits, lounge access [looking forward to my FCL access], interlining etc.).

I heard the magic date for completion of Oneworld integration is 12/12/12.

If that's indeed the date, that would make excellent news as MH will be the 12th member of the OW alliance - 12th member to join on 12th day of the 12th month of 2012! :)