MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

Love the update to the Golden Lounge website. Very nice!

Oh, found the article where I read about the 3rd quarter entry into OneWorld...

http://blogs.wsj.com...ntas-macquarie/

"Malaysia Airlines is on schedule to join the oneworld alliance by the end of this year," the airline said in a statement today, MAS spokesman Ismadi Yusuff confirming to Australian Business Traveller that the airline "will join one world in Q4." [from Australian Business Traveller 15/05/2012]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in October. I really want to credit my QF flights in late October and early November to Enrich.

JAL / Malaysia Airlines to Launch Codeshare Service from July 2012

by JL

Update at 0920GMT 11JUN12

JAL and Malaysia Airlines starting 01JUL12 will launch reciprocal codeshare service, covering service between Japan and Malaysia, as well as Domestic Japan and Malaysia, plus India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and US.

Reservation to open on Tuesday 12JUN12. Codeshare routes include:

JAL operated by Malaysia Airlines (JL7090 – 7099 & JL7940 – 7969 series)

Kuala Lumpur – Bangalore

Kuala Lumpur – Chennai

Kuala Lumpur – Colombo

Kuala Lumpur – Delhi

Kuala Lumpur – Hyderabad

Kuala Lumpur – Kota Kinabalu

Kuala Lumpur – Kuantan

Kuala Lumpur – Kuching

Kuala Lumpur – Langkawi

Kuala Lumpur – Male

Kuala Lumpur – Mumbai

Kuala Lumpur – Osaka Kansai

Kuala Lumpur – Penang

Kuala Lumpur – Tokyo Narita

Malaysia Airlines operated by JAL (MH9777 – 9799 series)

Tokyo Narita – Boston

Tokyo Narita – Chicago

Tokyo Narita – Fukuoka

Tokyo Narita – Guam

Tokyo Narita – Hong Kong

Tokyo Narita – Honolulu

Tokyo Narita – Kuala Lumpur

Tokyo Narita – Nagoya

Tokyo Narita – New York JFK

Tokyo Narita – Sapporo

Tokyo Narita – Seoul Incheon

Tokyo Narita – Taipei Taoyuan

http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/11/jlmh-codeshare/

MAS in code-share pact with JAL

MALAYSIA Airlines (MAS) is targeting to complete code-sharing arrangements with four more oneworld member airlines, a day after announcing the signing of similar agreement with another member of the global alliance, Japan Airlines (JAL).

To date, MAS has signed 23 code-sharing agreements with various airlines and is looking at signing more as a strategy to extend its reach without having to mount its own flights.

The national carrier is now in discussion to have code-sharing arrangement with oneworld members, namely American Airlines, British Airways, Qantas and Finnair.

"Discussion with Finland's Finnair is closing and the code-sharing agreement may be concluded by year-end," MAS senior vice-president of international affairs Germal Singh Khera told Malaysian reporters here.

MAS announced the agreement with JAL at a press conference held on the sidelines of the two-day International Air Transport Association (IATA) annual general meeting, which started here yesterday.

A code-share agreement is an aviation business arrangement where two or more airlines share the same flight. A seat can be purchased on one airline but is actually operated by a cooperating airline under a different flight number or code.

Under the code-share, which will commence on July 1, JAL will begin marketing MAS flights between Malaysia and Japan, as well as five other domestic points and seven regional destinations such as Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Mumbai.

Conversely, MAS will place its flight indicator MH on JAL-operated flights connecting Tokyo (Narita) and Fukuoka, Nagoya and Sapporo in Japan, as well as to nine international cities including Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Guam, Honolulu and across the Pacific to Boston, Chicago and New York.

Covering up to 347 weekly flights of 51 sectors, the selling of the MAS-JAL code-share service will begin today. The code-share on the Malaysia-Japan trunk route covers MAS' 11 times weekly Kuala Lumpur-Tokyo return flights and the six times weekly Kuala Lumpur-Osaka return flights as well as JAL's daily Tokyo-Kuala Lumpur return flights.

"The code-share between Malaysia and Japan will offer the travelling public in both countries more choices of flight. It will offer flexibility to passengers as under the code-share, the frequency of flights is effectively increased," Germal said.

MAS head of commercial Dr Hugh Dunleavy, who represented the national carrier in exchanging aircraft models with JAL's chairman Masaru Onishi as a symbolic gesture of the code-share, said it is on track to become a full member of oneworld by year-end.

"As much as we want to sign code-share agreements with more oneworld members, our focus now is to ensure that we become a full member of the alliance by year-end," he said.

Meanwhile, in a statement released here, MAS group chief executive officer (CEO) Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the partnership with JAL provides the national carrier the opportunity to expand its reach without having to mount its own flights to cities in Japan and beyond in North Asia and the US.

"This code-share is expected to greatly contribute towards increased tourist arrivals into Malaysia. As one of the most affordable tourist destinations in the Asia Pacific region, we are confident that more tourists from other parts of Japan will take the opportunity to use this code-share and visit Malaysia."

Earlier, when opening the meeting, IATA director- general and Tony Tyler said the global airline industry profits for 2012 are projected to be US$3 billion (RM9.5 billion), unchanged from the last update in March.

While the recent fall in oil prices, stronger-than-expected growth in passenger traffic and a bottoming out of the freight market are driving improvements in the outlook, these are being offset by the deepening European sovereign debt crisis, he said.

Source: http://www.btimes.co...icle/index_html

JAL / Malaysia Airlines to Launch Codeshare Service from July 2012

by JL

Update at 0920GMT 11JUN12

JAL and Malaysia Airlines starting 01JUL12 will launch reciprocal codeshare service, covering service between Japan and Malaysia, as well as Domestic Japan and Malaysia, plus India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and US.

Reservation to open on Tuesday 12JUN12. Codeshare routes include:

JAL operated by Malaysia Airlines (JL7090 – 7099 & JL7940 – 7969 series)

Kuala Lumpur – Bangalore

Kuala Lumpur – Chennai

Kuala Lumpur – Colombo

Kuala Lumpur – Delhi

Kuala Lumpur – Hyderabad

Kuala Lumpur – Kota Kinabalu

Kuala Lumpur – Kuantan

Kuala Lumpur – Kuching

Kuala Lumpur – Langkawi

Kuala Lumpur – Male

Kuala Lumpur – Mumbai

Kuala Lumpur – Osaka Kansai

Kuala Lumpur – Penang

Kuala Lumpur – Tokyo Narita

Malaysia Airlines operated by JAL (MH9777 – 9799 series)

Tokyo Narita – Boston

Tokyo Narita – Chicago

Tokyo Narita – Fukuoka

Tokyo Narita – Guam

Tokyo Narita – Hong Kong

Tokyo Narita – Honolulu

Tokyo Narita – Kuala Lumpur

Tokyo Narita – Nagoya

Tokyo Narita – New York JFK

Tokyo Narita – Sapporo

Tokyo Narita – Seoul Incheon

Tokyo Narita – Taipei Taoyuan

http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/11/jlmh-codeshare/

While it's good for MH to codeshare to BOS, JFK, ORD and domestic Japan route, it seems kinda weird to codeshare to TPE and HKG.

Or are those for connectivity to MH NRT-LAX?

While it's good for MH to codeshare to BOS, JFK, ORD and domestic Japan route, it seems kinda weird to codeshare to TPE and HKG.

Or are those for connectivity to MH NRT-LAX?

Some travellers may go to HKG and then onward to TPE and/or NRT. Now they can do it all the way on MH code flights instead of CX.

Finally, a solid move towards joining OW.Although, I'm surprised that there weren't any code-share flights between NRT and SFO.

Next up should be code-sharing arrangements with Qantas, now that Virgin Australia are out of the picture.

JL has already updated their booking system, but not MH yet...

LOL, no surprises there. They are too busy changing the colour of the website.

LOL, no surprises there. They are too busy changing the colour of the website.

And still getting confused themselves where the wau should be all-blue and where it should blue-and-red and which direction the wau should be facing...at this rate, dont be surprise if a yellow-winged tiger makes an appearance as well...

And still getting confused themselves where the wau should be all-blue and where it should blue-and-red and which direction the wau should be facing...

Perhaps some people are taking the term 'strength in diversity' too seriously ....... :)

And still getting confused themselves where the wau should be all-blue and where it should blue-and-red and which direction the wau should be facing...at this rate, dont be surprise if a yellow-winged tiger makes an appearance as well...

Easy for you to criticize when you're not in their shoes.

Try speaking to the folks in MH's Strategic Communications and ask pointed questions on the logo & colours and then point out specific examples from MH that actually contradicts their own understanding and it wont take you long to discover they even the Strategic Communications guys & gals are unsure themselves of what the real story is.

But this is MH - left hand is never sure what the right hand is doing.

So the criticisms go to the guy or gal who should be running a tight ship on this but is clearly snoozing on the job.

What I recall is usually a rebranding or change of company logo / slogan would be advertised all over the internet and papers to show the customers and clients about newly improved and enhanced business experience... but I don't recall MH did... they just simply change the logo and everything into blue in line with the roll out of A380... (correct me if I were wrong)

Edited by Mike P

Other consideration may be whether 'they' are of sufficient substance to fit into said shoes to start with ? :)

Found it's always so much easier to party on with the brigade praising the emperor's clothing rather than going by one's belief :)

Edited by BC Tam

Am now in Taiwan for work n earlier had a ceonversation with a friend about the current aviation industry...he asked me why MH have so many diff livery n logos....I told him...nobody knows....even ppl outside of M'sia is noticing about the frequent changes MH is doing

Brand loyalty and recognition should be the last thing in their mind.......

Maybe it's last on their priority list but it should not be - heck, even the chap running the favourite nasi lemak stall knows how important it is you recognize/remember his presence and remain loyal to his cooking (after he/she has captivated your taste buds that is) :)

Let us not even get started on how successful the red outfit has been in this respect ...... :)

Edited by BC Tam

Given BA and QF are not serving KUL and many of their pax landed in either SIN or BKK may travel to other cities like MNL, SGN, CGK, YGN, HAN, etc. Wonder how much effort MH is preparing to serve them as an OW member?

They better be prepared. I foresee a large influx of OneWorld passengers who are desperately looking for an alternative to BA and QF between Australia and the UK.

They better be prepared. I foresee a large influx of OneWorld passengers who are desperately looking for an alternative to BA and QF between Australia and the UK.

Judging by the number of complaints on other forums from BA and QF frequent fliers regarding the difficulty of redeeming their points for flights, there could well be an influx!

I'v never had a problem with redeeming my Enrich points for flights on MH and I hope the situation doesn't change when MH joins One World!

Judging by the number of complaints on other forums from BA and QF frequent fliers regarding the difficulty of redeeming their points for flights, there could well be an influx!

I'v never had a problem with redeeming my Enrich points for flights on MH and I hope the situation doesn't change when MH joins One World!

That's my worry too!