MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

Should not be too difficult to print oneworld on the plane. Its got plenty of white spaces!

Yup, simple word to paint. Maybe looks like this? Perhaps they don't print as "1world" :D

MH_ONEWORLDcopy.jpg

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Hahaha...

I think the word oneworld is waaay too big.

But the oneworld colour fits MH livery nicely!

Suddenly oneworld becoming a very interesting subject to study.

It has to do with oneworld being selective in choosing a new member, not like Star.

Don't forget the 1Malaysia logo just next to the door. :p

Don't forget the 1Malaysia logo just next to the door. :p

Question that arises is whether 1Malaysia mantra will still be relevant by end 2012 ? :D

That was a concern as mentioned before. Relocation back to T3 will surely burn some millions of GBP, especially for the relocation of the current Golden Lounge at T4, which is still very new - only opened since August 2009.

How about recouping their loss by selling the lounge to another airline? If it's as good as it's been said, surely there won't be a shortage of buyers.

How about recouping their loss by selling the lounge to another airline? If it's as good as it's been said, surely there won't be a shortage of buyers.

I think the lounge could not be sold. This is because the floorspace is leased/rented from BAA in the first place. Well hopefully by the time MH has to vacate T4 for T3, the whole Golden Lounge at T4 project has at least break even.

i did a quick photoshop for One World's new member ... :pardon:

1931300.jpg

Hahaha, it should be an all white fuselage Jon. No 'Phillipine flag'..... :drinks:

I think the lounge could not be sold. This is because the floorspace is leased/rented from BAA in the first place. Well hopefully by the time MH has to vacate T4 for T3, the whole Golden Lounge at T4 project has at least break even.

Maybe MAS can do a lease transfer to another airline to recoup losses. One of the many T4 airlines might want their own lounge.

Maybe MAS can do a lease transfer to another airline to recoup losses. One of the many T4 airlines might want their own lounge.

Dunno if that is allowed, but if they are able to do that, it'd be a great idea.

Dunno if that is allowed, but if they are able to do that, it'd be a great idea.

It can only be a great idea if the intending purchaser fancies the 'rimba' theme and is able to integrate that into their marketing programme

Otherwise it will involve a costly exercise to redesign to taste

Jumping the gun though, nothing concerete that MH has to relocate from LHR's T4 upon OneWorld membership :pardon:

Not unless LHR wants to sponsor the relocation of the lounge? Just like QF sponsoring MH? I think QF is up to something with MH? or do want to reposition themselves in KUL? I can't think of any other reason why QF sponsoring MH's joining to OneWorld.

Not unless LHR wants to sponsor the relocation of the lounge? Just like QF sponsoring MH? I think QF is up to something with MH? or do want to reposition themselves in KUL? I can't think of any other reason why QF sponsoring MH's joining to OneWorld.

Well, someone HAS to sponsor a newcomer into the alliance :D

But I hope you're right. I'd love to see QF back in KUL.

Well, someone HAS to sponsor a newcomer into the alliance :D

But I hope you're right. I'd love to see QF back in KUL.

This industry is something like playing chess; it's the strategy that prevails. QF with MH should not be a surprise , considering QF provided significant assistance to MH in the 70's , furthermore DJ - SQ links was also anticipated , considering the shareholding of VS . QF does not have other alternatives as TG is aligned to Star n hv strong links to SK & LH. Whereas GA has always have that "KL" connection , so does VN with AF . CX should be happy as now there's another partner closeby.

In the end , it's also sad to c if MH - KL ties b broken :sorry:

As a Malaysian ; it would b interesting to c will the IB - BA parent company b buying any stake in MH. or rather will our Government allow such ?

This industry is something like playing chess; it's the strategy that prevails. QF with MH should not be a surprise , considering QF provided significant assistance to MH in the 70's , furthermore DJ - SQ links was also anticipated , considering the shareholding of VS . QF does not have other alternatives as TG is aligned to Star n hv strong links to SK & LH. Whereas GA has always have that "KL" connection , so does VN with AF . CX should be happy as now there's another partner closeby.

In the end , it's also sad to c if MH - KL ties b broken :sorry:

As a Malaysian ; it would b interesting to c will the IB - BA parent company b buying any stake in MH. or rather will our Government allow such ?

KL doesn't even fly daily to KUL and if the tie is broken, this route could be severely jeopardised and affected, either frequency reduced tremendously or deploying smaller aircraft.

Jumping the gun though, nothing concerete that MH has to relocate from LHR's T4 upon OneWorld membership.

The main reason for 'the great LHR reshuffle' exercise in 2009 was to group the airlines by their alliances to ease feed/connections within the same alliances - BA at T5 and T3, Star and oneworld at T3, Skyteam and non aligned airlines at T4. Therefore I think it is critical for MH to move to T3 now to join the other oneworld members so that they can feed passengers from their intra Europe flights to MH flights without having the passengers to endure a great deal of travelling by train and such to transfer between T3 and T4. The reason MH was asked to move to T4 earlier on is because it is non aligned and a possible Skyteam member. Now that all of those are obsolete, MH is clearly at the wrong terminal in LHR.

Not unless LHR wants to sponsor the relocation of the lounge? Just like QF sponsoring MH?

Now the lounge relocation issue is getting ridiculous. First of all, it can not be sold because MH is renting the floor space from BAA. It can not be sublet to a third party because MH is renting the floor space from BAA. Tenants are either move in or move out, not sublet (in an airport? Come on!) Now a suggestion for LHR (I assume BAA) to sponsor the relocation of the lounge? Such thing is not exist, BAA is not a charity organisation nor MH is an EPL football club that need sponsorship. MH has to bear the cost to close the Golden Lounge at T4 and to open up a new Golden Lounge at T3 of course. The part where QF sponsoring MH's entry into oneworld does not involve sponsorship in monetary form. It works more like a referee. I think there has been a very serious misconception of the word 'sponsor' here.

KL doesn't even fly daily to KUL

KLM flies daily into KUL since like 5 years ago.

KLM flies daily into KUL since like 5 years ago.

Not quite, it's very volatile. I checked the schedule from now and then, sometimes 5 times weekly and sometimes 6 times weekly.

Not quite, it's very volatile. I checked the schedule from now and then, sometimes 5 times weekly and sometimes 6 times weekly.

You have to be joking my friend. A KLM 777 comes in to KUL everyday at 3pm and many spotters know that for a fact. It was never volatile, and maybe had hiccups once or twice. Maybe Uncle Pieter can furnish you the details of how many cancellations this year?

And quoting Azizul's stats on this page (http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12195&view=findpost&p=279298);

Europe

Ranking - Destination - Passengers Traffic - Growth

1. London Heathrow - 428,501 - (+6.5%)

2. Amsterdam - 391,174 (+9.6%)

3. London Stansted - 169,651 (+38%)

4. Paris - 155,432 (+24.7%)

5. Frankfurt - 151,573 - (+23.4%)

6. Rome - 70,006 (+19.7%)

7. Istanbul - 67,190 (+138.7%)

Pax from AMS makes up the second largest destination in Europe that contributed to the growth of KUL. As this sector is also served by MH, it surely is a sector that's making good amount of money with continuous growth. I believe no airline in their right frame of mind would want to reduce flights here or even change equipment or even cancel the route just because the other airline which they are code-sharing with joined an alliance which they am not in.

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

You have to be joking my friend. A KLM 777 comes in to KUL everyday at 3pm and many spotters know that for a fact. It was never volatile, and maybe had hiccups once or twice. Maybe Uncle Pieter can furnish you the details of how many cancellations this year?

Probably not after they have switched from B747 to B777. But I did went to KLM site and checked once or twice, it wasn't daily flight though.

Mike, if you are talking about the B74 time, Here is 2008 schedule.

Amsterdam – Kuala Lumpur – Jakarta

2008 Summer

3 weekly 744

4 weekly 74E

2008/09 Winter

4 weekly 744

3 weekly 74E

http://airlineroute.net/2008/06/30/klm-preliminary-0809-winter-schedule/

It has been daily all these while. I wonder do u have the link showing its not daily?

It has been daily flight from AMS-KUL all these while mate. Here's the information from http://info.flightmapper.net/route/YY_AMS_KUL

FLIGHT SCHEDULE

DIRECT FLIGHTS:

Mon,Wed,Sat,Sun 8:50p Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS) 3:50p+1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) M

KLM KL 0809 Non-stop Boeing 777-300ER (77W) 12:00 Discontinued after Mar 2

Mon,Wed,Thu,Sat,Sun 8:50p Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS) 3:50p+1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) M

KLM KL 0809 Non-stop Boeing 777-300ER (77W) 12:00 Effective Mar 3 through Mar 26

Mon,Wed,Thu,Sat,Sun 8:55p Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS) 3:00p+1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) M

KLM KL 0809 Non-stop Boeing 777-300ER (77W) 12:05 Effective Mar 27

Tue,Fri 8:50p Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS) 3:50p+1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) M

KLM KL 0809 Non-stop Boeing 777 (777) 12:00 Effective Mar 4 through Mar 25

Tue,Fri 8:55p Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS) 3:00p+1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) M

KLM KL 0809 Non-stop Boeing 777 (777) 12:05 Effective Mar 29

Tue,Thu,Fri 8:50p Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS) 3:50p+1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) M

KLM KL 0809 Non-stop Boeing 777 (777) 12:00 Discontinued after Mar 1

Mind to share where you got your information about the 5/6 weekly flights from?

I don't have the link. But I remember when I saw it in KLM website itself... Anyway, nevermind. Even it wasn't daily flight, it was a past and now it offers daily flight for greater connectivity then that's good.

Further questions and wishes as an Enrich Member and a Malaysian... ( of my mind, i'm sure there's more..)

1 Rather c MH b transferred to T5 @ LHR rather than moving back to the "densed" T3

2 Wonders will MH do similar move as QF by flying to DFW ( AA's "central" hub in the US)

3 Will this be a platform for Joint European and M/East Expansion for MH / QF and others within the OneWorld Fraternity from KUL? , Would love to c MUC , ARN, ZRH or even MAD / BCN online from KUL ( considering IB is in as well) or for that matter more AMN flights ( either RJ or perhaps MH ). Or for that matter MAN ?

4 Implications on their respective "dependents" a.k.a. JQ /3K and FY, perhaps if MAN ( or others for that matter) of a "low cost" / low yield route ; will we c maybe FY / JQ flying to these places.

5 We still need some form of Enrich benefits for FY, similar to 3K / JQ.

6 Sincerely hope MH Enrich would start something similar to QF's recently introduced Smart Baggage Tags, Smart FQTV Cards.

7 Will this be a platform to ultimately create something further than codeshare to like joint shuttle KUL - HKG with CX , say 8 - 10 flights a day ? Where one can just by a "shuttle tkt" and just turn up at the airport. After all it's just 3 hours away n the commercial links r getting strong.

8 Synergies for a common Lounge , similar to QF - BA at key airports @ NRT / HKG / DXB ...etc.

9 Will there be a massive transfer to a common terminal for this fraternity? Examples SIN - MH T2 is not the same as BA or QF ? Minimise walking distance for transfers?

MH shall restructure his routes in line with OneWorld Alliance, simply it can't just maintain the routes like existing without changes. It must change and enhance to fit into OneWorld and connect with all the OneWorld partners.

2 Wonders will MH do similar move as QF by flying to DFW ( AA's "central" hub in the US)

Is there a need to go to DFW? AA already have a presence at LAX (2nd biggest after UA) so I don't think it's necessary.