MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

Eh... but I've been posting on SQTalk??

What I meant was u have not been posting as the way u used to do before.....I remember reading ur TR's in sqtalk for 2009 and 2010 quite regularly.....

What I meant was u have not been posting as the way u used to do before.....I remember reading ur TR's in sqtalk for 2009 and 2010 quite regularly.....

Ah fair enough.

Most of the trips I've been doing have been for work. And anyway who wants to read TRs of the same airline endlessly? I'll post a TR when I get to try something different. In light of today's news hopefully I can write one on MH long haul in 18 months' time!

Edited by Keith T

Did not know Kingfisher was in OW......Did not hear much review from Kingfisher so far......anyone have any idea how they are doing ?

Kingfisher was invited to join the alliance in June 2010 rather being sponsored by some member airlines..According to the news, it will become a member in late 2011.

The best thing for me about MH joining OW is that, in future, I will be able to get points and elite miles on Enrich for flying QF and it will make it much easier for me to attain Platinum status on Enrich and enjoy OW Emerald status. :good:

Kingfisher was invited to join the alliance in June 2010 rather being sponsored by some member airlines..According to the news, it will become a member in late 2011.

All new entrants are sponsored by someone. Not sure what this sponsorship entails, probably training on oneworld products and systems. BA is acting as Kingfisher's sponsor.

Malaysia Airlines is expected to become a oneworld member in late-2012 and being sponsored by Qantas means that Qantaa will "hold hands" with MH to ensure that its back-room functions are totally in compliance with systems and processes in the alliance and its member airlines.

It was a very funny day for me ... I turned up really early at 0720hrs at the oneworld alliance media briefing and breakfast on the sidelines of the 67th IATA Annual General Meeting and the first person to say hello was the Director of Corporate Development at MH. The moment I saw her name card, I immediately asked her: Do I take it that your presence here at a oneworld event indicates that MH is about to join oneworld?

With a slight look of horror, she replied: At this point in time, I cannot comment on that.

That answer was more telling than merely saying no. And of course, I immediately SMSed Jonathan Kong and TK. Good news like this just had to be shared. And at 0745hrs, oneworld formally announced Qantas' sponsorship of MH into oneworld.

The rest ... as they say is history.

KC Sim

Care to share your thoughts on this ?

Last we heard, EK is extremely healthy - will take some immensely serious financial muscle to even put a scratch on that beast, let alone any thought of a slaughter (imo only lah :) )

hahas!!! sorry I used wrong proposition. I meant the ongoing slaughter by Emirates on other airlines. To add, with their 90 A380s..and 70 A350s 0.0 God knows what they are planning to do with them?? :blink: :blink:

Anyways, aren't all of us glad that the greatest mystery of MH is finally solved....wait, what mystery???

From: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/6/6/business/20110606104634&sec=business

"MAS' membership would allow its customers to gain access to the alliance's global network which would in turn expand the coverage to almost 950 destinations in 150 countries.

This would be served by a combined fleet of more than 2,600 aircraft operating some 10,000 flights a day and carrying 358 million passengers a year.

Members of the alliance include American Airlines, British Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines."

The Star is never good with names lol. It's kinda embarassing. :pardon:

I'd love to fly this British Airlines if they're really out there!

Edited by Wilson Kook

I'm thinking that all the domestic routes would be tagged with AA, BA, QF, CX or any other OneWorld alliance partners :)

Is this taken from press release?

"MAS' membership would allow its customers to gain access to the alliance's global network which would in turn expand the coverage to almost 950 destinations in 150 countries.

This would be served by a combined fleet of more than 2,600 aircraft operating some 10,000 flights a day and carrying 358 million passengers a year.

Members of the alliance include American Airlines, British Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines."

The Star is never good with names lol. It's kinda embarassing. pardon.gif

I'd love to fly this British Airlines if they're really out there!

Its the STAR.....what do u expect from cronies......dry.gif

The Borneo Post seems to make a lot of mistakes during the report, too. I ever emailed them once and they actually apologised to me...

Alright, so can someone basically sum up how MH joining oneworld benefits us the passenger and also MH as an airline?

I've always just read stuff like you can accumulate points easier, and MH gets more traffic etc.. Hope some pro (ehem, Keith :D) explain in further detail.

For example I have like 17,000 points from BA, can they now (after all is official) be transferred to Enrich?

the first person to say hello was the Director of Corporate Development at MH. The moment I saw her name card, I immediately asked her: Do I take it that your presence here at a oneworld event indicates that MH is about to join oneworld?

With a slight look of horror, she replied: At this point in time, I cannot comment on that.

That answer was more telling than merely saying no. The rest ... as they say is history.

KC Sim

Brilliant!

I'm thinking that all the domestic routes would be tagged with AA, BA, QF, CX or any other OneWorld alliance partners :)

KLIA would need to improve their flight display monitors to accomodate all the different flight numbers....

Alright, so can someone basically sum up how MH joining oneworld benefits us the passenger and also MH as an airline?

I've always just read stuff like you can accumulate points easier, and MH gets more traffic etc.. Hope some pro (ehem, Keith :D) explain in further detail.

For example I have like 17,000 points from BA, can they now (after all is official) be transferred to Enrich?

I am not sure about the need/possibility to transfer your miles - wouldn't Enrich be retained but the earning/spending and tiering be adjusted to OW standards? I am sure you would be given the possibility though as I could have had my SQ miles credited to Swiss.

When Swiss joined star alliance (it was bought over by Lufthansa), all my miles were transferred to Lufthansa. My premium status was guaranteed for an additional year even if I don't requalify properly, plus, I got 2 upgrade vouchers. The very negative thing is that with Swiss miles, the miles is all that you pay for a ticket. With Lufthansa, you need to pay the taxes, fuel surcharge, etc., in addition!

For me as a business customer, this makes KLIA a much more attractive option as a hub for my business trips from Europe to Asia. Certainly MH will see more business from me!

As a KL/MH fan I'm rather unhappy about this news.

Where does this leave the KL/MH AMS-KUL v.v. codeshare and KL feed onto MH services to Aus/NZ?

AF/KE seem to have got what they wanted keeping MH out of Skyteam.

The AF/QF tie up clearly didn't help matters and I'm pretty sure KE would not have liked MH in Skyteam either.

Really wish KL hadn't jumped into bed with AF.

I actually think an airlines need to pay for your flight code to be displayed in the airport. It does show all the code shared flights in KUL but not in the domestic airports. Only certain flights but not all.

Keep on smilling when i read the announcement!

My RTW trip will definately on OW!!!

KUL-SYD-EZE-LAX-IAD-JFK-MAD-AMM-NRT-KUL love it love it~

Now focus on generating cash for my trip :p

I had an extremely busy day today and only be able to read this news just now, 20 hours after the news was posted.

Hopefully MH's first A380 would have the honour of carrying oneworld logo!

I think that would be a BRILLIANT marketing tool for MH to celebrate this occasion and the introduction of the A380.

5 stars airlines in the alliance

skyteam

None - kesian

They deserved it for putting MH in the dark for 5 YEARS!!!

With all the excitement, when is MH actually scheduled to join OW?

The article mentioned a maximum of 18 months from today, so we could expect MH's membership to become effective by November 2012. By then, 5 A380s have joined MH's active fleet (subject to no delay in delivery by Airbus, RR or MH itself).

I think it will be much harder to redeem Enrich miles on a short notice basis once MH is already in the alliance.

KLIA would need to improve their flight display monitors to accomodate all the different flight numbers.

Agreed. They need the large portrait LCD screens like those used in DXB and AMS.

Just saw the news on TheStar and immediately got myself to MWings!

Haha I too thought of MW immediately when I saw the news.

Unfortunately, I thought of A.Net first when I saw the news. Have posted a very lengthy comment and opinion about there first prior to posting this. Just to share it here:

It is really MH's headline of the decade!

As someone who has been following the rather interesting history about MH and its long standing intention of joining an alliances for many years, this come as a bit of a surprise, although not entirely unexpected. The news about MH joining OneWorld was first published in an investment firm's analyst report on 28 February 2011, but the Malaysian aviation enthusiasts dismissed it as having no ground. Recalling my discussion with Airpearl regarding this very report, boy how wrong we were.

A bit of a history recap, MH was offered a OneWorld membership on a golden platter in the early 2000s, but the airline snobbishly rejected the offer since its request to BA and QF to move its hub from SIN to KUL was not fulfilled. I am glad that the current management of MH has put this bitter episode away once and for all. MH has since put on strong hopes of joining Skyteam since 2006, but unfortunately was put on cold treatment by (the alleged) AF.

It also seems that the failure of a merger between MH and QF some 3 years ago is not all dead end. This announcement might come at the right time when QF is in need of a new weapon to counter its shrinking market shares and its staff union, while MH also struggling with declining market shares in view of sharing a hub with a world beating LCC named AirAsia and its (growing) sister companies. MH will finally have a new source of potential passengers without having it to indulge in a price war with AK.

KUL will definitely benefited from this development. Although it is still unsure whether MH's inclusion in OneWorld will resulted in massive jump in passengers traffic, KUL has always been optimistic about the possibility of the return of BA and QF/JQ into the airport. Currently, among all 12 OneWorld members, only CX, JL and RJ serve KUL. It could also serve as a platform to counter the exponent growth of LCC traffics (passengers, cargo and aircraft movement) in KUL.

What I hope MH could benefit from OneWorld:

- Improvement with IT platform of Enrich FFP. With Enrich set to be realigned across all FFPs in the OneWorld alliance, I hope its current poor state of IT platforms will be solved.

- Overall better corporate management of MH. This poor airline has seen numerous political interferences in the past which led to its historical loss of billion of Ringgit in 2005, so hopefully OneWorld will at least provide some form of a shield to the MH management to counter this very issue.

- MH has been going a tough period especially in 2006 - 2007 where it has to suspend quite a number of destinations - VIE, ARN, ZRH, MAN, CAI, EWR - so hopefully some of it might be able to be resurrected. MH will probably return to DRW and Cairns too. Some of MH's past destinations includes MUC, ZAG, MAD, YVR and MEX.

- Having a present in all 6 inhabited continents, MH now is in an attractive position to forge new code share relationships with alliance partner from those continents. I see those proposed with LAN Chile and trans Pacific to US East Coast with JL and CX as most promising.

- The emergence of MH's sub brands from the unknown territory to the eyes of the world. MH indeed has some gems hidden with it particularly its amazing but undiscovered Golden Lounges and its emerging LCC arm, Firefly.

- Just minutes earlier from this announcement, MH was quoted in another news article as confirming SYD and MEL as its A380 destinations. LHR will be the first to be served with MH superjumbo. AMS is still being mentioned, but not in a priority placement anymore as suggested by the news article on 25 May 2011.

Quoting HELyes (Reply 3):

This could mean we will see AY in KUL. It was already announced 2007 and cancelled, been on their 'possible' list since.

Quoting HELyes (Reply 24):

Also AY just opened daily non stop service to SIN, code shared with QF. HEL-KUL probably under planning already.

I am not sure if it is a good economic decision to assign a dedicated service to both SIN and KUL considering the distance between the two. If AY really keen to serve a new OneWorld hub that is KUL, a SIN-KUL tag on would be recommended. There is also a better option, which is to dump SIN altogether and serve HEL-KUL + code share with MH on KUL-SIN instead *LOL*

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 5):

Will Qantas move its Singapore hub to KL ? Will there be some empty gates at Changi ?

I think the current QF and BA respective hub arrangements in SIN and BKK will stay. KUL will be an alternative to those.

Quoting AlitaliaDC10 (Reply 25):

Also I think the QF/MH will be far from frosty as it is with CX given that QF will act as sponsor.

One of the (alleged) reason of AF blocking MH's entry into Skyteam was something relating to its profitable code share agreements with QF. Ironically, it was QF that is sponsoring MH's entry into OneWorld which could jeopardies the agreements should QF code shares with MH on the latter's European destinations - CDG, LHR, AMS, FCO and FRA.

Anyway, this has been a very happy day for me personally. Finally...!

Also some other tidbits questions:

- Will Pam Anne create a new character to her 'Safety Demonstration by our OneWorld Alliance Partner'? I hope the new MH girl that Pam Anne is going to portray is unlike 'Lily of SQ' LOL.

- Do you guys think MH will relocate back to LHR T3 to join its co OneWorld members? MH has spent millions to open up a Golden Lounge in LHR T4 in late 2009, which in my opinion is on par with the flagship lounges in KUL Main Terminal and KUL Satellite Terminal.

Here are the links about this historical news:

A.Net thread of the same title http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5162884/

SQ Talk thread of the same title http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11387

Indoflyer threads of the same title http://www.indoflyer.net/forum/tm.asp?m=493324&mpage=7, http://www.indoflyer.net/forum/tm.asp?m=550444

Australian Business Traveller news that started them all http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airlines-to-join-oneworld-alliance?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

OneWorld Official Announcement http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=25793

The Australian news article http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/qantas-malaysia-airlines-to-build-ties-says-alan-joyce/story-e6frg95x-1226070096848

Aviation Week news article http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=comm&id=news/awx/2011/06/05/awx_06_05_2011_p0-331850.xml

Flight Global news article http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/06/06/357581/iata-mas-expected-to-join-oneworld-today.html

LAN Chile warm welcoming press statement http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/news/official-press-release/malaysia-airlines-to-join-oneworld-alliance

MH's brief announcement http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/highlights/malaysia-airlines-to-join-oneworld-alliance.html

I am not sure about the need/possibility to transfer your miles - wouldn't Enrich be retained but the earning/spending and tiering be adjusted to OW standards? I am sure you would be given the possibility though as I could have had my SQ miles credited to Swiss.

When Swiss joined star alliance (it was bought over by Lufthansa), all my miles were transferred to Lufthansa. My premium status was guaranteed for an additional year even if I don't requalify properly, plus, I got 2 upgrade vouchers. The very negative thing is that with Swiss miles, the miles is all that you pay for a ticket. With Lufthansa, you need to pay the taxes, fuel surcharge, etc., in addition!

For me as a business customer, this makes KLIA a much more attractive option as a hub for my business trips from Europe to Asia. Certainly MH will see more business from me!

Yeah you don't need to 'transfer' your miles. It'll largely be business as usual in Enrich, with certain adjustments. When the alliance is activated, Enrich should be sending you new cards with oneworld logos, and if you have any Enrich status you will also get a card that displays your corresponding oneworld status that will be recognised throughout the entire alliance. Enrich will also need to update their T&Cs allowing the earning of Elite Miles on other oneworld carriers, and will need to advise its members what the accrual and redemption rates are with oneworld members after concluding its negotiations with other OW carriers.

If you have miles in another oneworld FFP, such as jani's 17 000 miles with BA EC, then simply wait for MH to join oneworld and you can use those miles on MH. You can continue earning on BA EC if BA is your preferred carrier or if you like BA EC - just remember to advise your FF number to MH when you fly with MH.

There are ways to transfer miles between FFPs but these usually involve going through a third program, usually a hotel program. The third party program must of course be partners with the 2 FFPs involved. I am not really sure about how to do this, having never done so myself, but I recall that the transfer rates are rarely 1:1 and you lose a lot of miles in the process. So I think it's still more worthwhile keeping your miles in your existing FFP.

SWISS is a little different from MH. SWISS joined Star Alliance as a direct result of being bought out by Lufthansa, and as part of the deal Swiss Travel Club was merged into M&M (incidentally had SWISS joined oneworld in 2004, the FFP would have been merged into BA Executive Club as part of the LX-BA MOU. LX backed out of the agreement because it couldn't see any benefit in giving up their FFP). MH is just joining an alliance, not merging with anyone, so I expect Enrich to stay the same. I can't think of any good reason for them to give up their FF database to anyone else.

As for benefits... as a customer it means

1) You have a wider choice of carriers to earn your Enrich miles on. And if you don't like Enrich (the 3 year hard expiry is the deal breaker for me even though the rest of the FFP has been largely improved in the past few years), you can simply choose to earn miles on a oneworld FFP that better suits your travel requirements. AAdvantage is very good for redemptions, particularly if traveling mostly in premium cabins, and Qantas Frequent Flyer is easiest for status although miserly in redemptions. I used to earn all my miles with AAdvantage even though I was flying mainly with QF. But I've come to realise that there are advantages (no pun intended) in accruing status on the airline you fly with most often. As a Qantas Platinum, I can request for award seats to be opened on flights that have zero award availability, and I can even 'see' availability that other oneworld Emeralds have no access to.

2) Access to oneworld fare products. oneworld markets several Round The World and Circle fares that are very good value. MH will participate in these when they become a oneworld member. I think you will see them signing up to the Global Explorer fare a lot sooner, as I recall MX, S7, Kingfisher and a few others feature in the Global Explorer shortly after becoming oneworld member-elects.

3) Access any oneworld lounge when flying oneworld. So if MH doesn't have a lounge in a certain airport, you can go to another oneworld lounge. Or you'll simply have more than 1 lounge to choose from. For instance, at MEL and SYD you'd want to use the fantastic QF First Lounge over the MH or CX lounges, and at KUL I'll want to be at the MH lounges over the CX lounge, and at NRT the JAL lounges are far nicer than the cramped and tiny Qantas Club. You can have a lot of fun lounge hopping at large airports where there are several oneworld lounges.

4) Coordinated flight schedules. Although this mainly benefits the airlines themselves as they get greater synergies and efficiencies by reducing duplications, you might QF/BA re-aligning their flight schedules at SIN to better align with MH flight schedules to allow for better connectivity between the airlines. Or you might even see QF or BA recommencing services to KUL, even if they continue with their SIN hub. *fingers crossed* You can then combine different carriers on to one ticket and interline/through check between the MH and oneworld carriers.

All of these also allow MH access to a wider base of customers they otherwise wouldn't get....eg a QF RTW or QFF pax from MEL wanting to include KL and Penang as part of his itinerary would now be able to do MEL-KUL-PEN instead of the faffing around SIN or HKG, and will now be able to use KUL as a stop on the way to Europe. MH will probably be attractive for pax traveling to Europe outside LHR or FRA and are sick of constantly having to transit at LHR. Much as I love QF I'd rather fly direct if I need to go somewhere like AMS or FCO. I also find MH a lot nicer to fly with and heaps cheaper than CX.

Edited by Keith T

For the time being, I don't think we will see BA and QF start flying to KUL just yet. They can just codeshare with MH in BKK-KUL and SIN-KUL and leave KUL to MH. On both sectors, we might see more widebodies being employed than before and KUL will serve as a transit point to Asia or any other final destinations.

However, many pax won't appreciate to change aircraft in SIN and KUL just to get to their final destinations, which is really a major drawback.