MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

I am very interested to see how the MH-KLM partnership will be affected. Obviously MH has quite a bit to gain via BA. If it can skillfully renegotiate the KLM partnership, MH will be stronger in the UK and it will still be competitive in continental EU.

I am very interested to see how the MH-KLM partnership will be affected. Obviously MH has quite a bit to gain via BA. If it can skillfully renegotiate the KLM partnership, MH will be stronger in the UK and it will still be competitive in continental EU.

It would be a win-win situation. Joining OneWorld shall not hurt MH-KL relationship and perhaps KL could take advantage to ride on MH's latest routes after joining OneWorld?

Same goes to QF/AF, what will happen next will be more interesting! Really want to see MH keeps codesharing with KL and AZ, as they pick a lot of pax to Australia.

So it looks like the A380 should be deployed on SYD/MEL-KUL-LHR/AMS routes to exploit the new opportunities.

Aviation industry is sure getting interesting with the slaughter of Emirates and the likes.

Care to share your thoughts on this ?

Last we heard, EK is extremely healthy - will take some immensely serious financial muscle to even put a scratch on that beast, let alone any thought of a slaughter (imo only lah :) )

A full chrome fuselage with the word "ONEWORLD". That's the requirement, right? :p

So it looks like the A380 should be deployed on SYD/MEL-KUL-LHR/AMS routes to exploit the new opportunities.

I believe that has been the plan since a long time.

5 stars airlines in the alliance

Star Alliance

pchc_1.gif

pchc_2.gif

skyteam

None - kesian

One World

cathay150.gif

kfsher130.gif

pchc_7.gif

Edited by michgyver

So, cows can fly and cats do have horns...Finally!!

Never say never :p

Will be interesting to watch MH integration to OW. Guess BA and QF will serve KUL.

Never say never :p

Will be interesting to watch MH integration to OW. Guess BA and QF will serve KUL.

Yes, especially Qantas. My first ever long haul flight was QF1 to LHR.

As for BA, I was a pax on one of the L-1011 Tristar BA033 flights (LHR-KUL). It was so empty that I had all 3 seats to myself. Unfortunately the service was bad and I cancelled the return KUL-LHR flight and took a MH DC-10 back instead...

oneworld CEO Bruce Ashby said:

"oneworld already features four of the best airlines in Asia-Pacific, including member elect Kingfisher Airlines. Adding another leading Asian carrier, in Malaysia Airlines, will greatly enhance oneworld's offering throughout the world's fast growing region for air travel demand."

Qantas Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce said:

"Malaysia Airlines is an ideal candidate for oneworld, with its world-class reputation for customer service mirroring oneworld's own focus. Its Kuala Lumpur home will provide our customers with another of the world's best airports, geographically well placed between our existing hubs. Qantas is delighted to be serving as its sponsor in joining oneworld."

So, it's come back one full circle. QF sponsoring MH into Oneworld. QF was also instrumental in the establishment of Malayan Airways many decades ago.

So, it's come back one full circle. QF sponsoring MH into Oneworld. QF was also instrumental in the establishment of Malayan Airways many decades ago.

I believe the first couple of B707's that wore MH's colours were also ex-Qantas ?

This also plugs a huge hole in the oneworld network that is SE Asia. Cathay and JAL are hardly convenient for SE Asia. Kingfisher is great for the subcontinent. It's safe to say that oneworld now has Asia reasonably well-covered. Another member based in Mainland China probably won't hurt, as CX/KA can't do intra PRC flights.

Now Africa...

Edited by Keith T

Hmm.... i already had feeling regarding this since long time ago. Hopefully with the entrants of MH into OneWorld it will not only strengthening the relationship between MH and BA/QF but also with AA. Perhaps AA also would consider to fly to KUL. :)

Hope y'all still remember me. ;)

Welcome back, and I do miss your thoughtful posts here! (and in sqtalk)

Edited by V Wong

That should be an entry requirement, since QF is the sponsor airline ;) Although I really doubt MH will place an A380 on MEL-KUL, although I would really really love to see MH send them down here. Would this mean MH will close it's Lounges in Australia? OR possibly have them refurbished?

With all the excitement, when is MH actually scheduled to join OW?

5 stars airlines in the alliance

Star Alliance

pchc_1.gif

pchc_2.gif

skyteam

None - kesian

One World

cathay150.gif

kfsher130.gif

pchc_7.gif

Did not know Kingfisher was in OW......Did not hear much review from Kingfisher so far......anyone have any idea how they are doing ?

Finally!

Just saw the news on TheStar and immediately got myself to MWings!

Unbelievable. They took such a long time and I almost gave up hope...

So now that I have my Star Gold secured for the next few years, I think I should try to get to a premium level on oneworld. Keith T, welcome back, and which programme should I join? I am BA Blue right now...

Welcome back, and I do miss your thoughtful posts here! (and in sqtalk)

Who can forget sucha colourful character.....u have been missing in sqtalk too....

Finally!

Just saw the news on TheStar and immediately got myself to MWings!

Unbelievable. They took such a long time and I almost gave up hope...

So now that I have my Star Gold secured for the next few years, I think I should try to get to a premium level on oneworld. Keith T, welcome back, and which programme should I join? I am BA Blue right now...

Haha I too thought of MW immediately when I saw the news.

As for FFP... I now have no clue! All the carriers I want to fly are split across different FFPs. I was rather loyal to QF until they started devaluing their Platinum status. So I was all set on flying Virgin Australia and MAS (who's currently an FF partner of Virgin) as I recently got a status match with them and was hoping they'd announce a joint venture alliance with MH as they've done with EY, NZ and DL. With MAS entering OW, I fully expect them to terminate their relationship with DJ and align more closely with QF.

The options for me as I see it:

1) Persist with Virgin Australia status and hope that the DJ/MH relationship continues. -> Highly unlikely

2) Go back to QFF (have got Platinum till June 2012) with my tail between my legs and maintain oneworld emerald so I can enjoy the best of at least 2 of my fave carriers QF and MH when the latter formally joins.

3) Maintain mid tier Gold status on QFF and Velocity so that I can buy the best fares of the day. That would mean domestic flights on QF, international Economy flights and points upgrades with QF, international J flights with MH, transpacific flights with Virgin.

4) Similar to 3 but instead of QFF Gold, get Enrich Gold. Enrich miles seem far better value than QFF but Enrich Gold is far more difficult to achieve than QFF Gold. As I worked out elsewhere, MEL-KUL-LHR return in J will only net 31k (ish) Enrich Elite Miles or 62% to Enrich Gold but the same credited to QFF will net QFF Gold almost straightaway.

Options 2 and 3 seem the most plausible but no matter how many times I slice and dice I get a different answer....

Who can forget sucha colourful character.....u have been missing in sqtalk too....

Eh... but I've been posting on SQTalk??