MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Radzi

Low Cost Air Terminal at KLIA

Just wandering what happen to Domestic buiding soon AK move and MH axed all their 114 unprofitable routes.....it will be a Modern warehouse................j/k :p

Another waste :(

Is the opening today ? I check on KLIA website and find that AK's flight departures are at Gate AXXX, still at MTB I believe ?

And the website says LCC terminal is opened on 9/3/06 for familiarization and 23/3/06 fully operational. See the link : http://klia.com.my/LCCTerminal/

btw, how about SIN budget terminal's opening ?

As someone mentioned earlier, the current LCC-T site designated for new ACC/expansion.

In 5-7 years time, with brand new LCC-Terminal in the making, the current LCC-Terminal can be converted into cargo centre with slight/major modification here and there. Therefore, I see nothing is wasting here.

UPDATE:

Anchor tenants were not able to finish on time as MAHB informed them on the 25th only that they intended to open the LCAT on 1st March..

There is a huge problem with the renovation approvals process as MAHB approvals office is only open between the following hours: 9am-11am, 3pm-5pm on weekdays only... thats a whopping 4 hours a day! And MAHB is insisting that they inspect and approve all materials, wiring jobs etc etc etc (which is no doubt an excellent initiative) but they need to be more giving when it comes to opening the approvals office :(

Well, I was there yesterday and nothing happend... perhaps today? tomorrow? next week?? who knows...

MN, yes it will be converted into a freight centre, hence the warehouse feel of the terminal.. Perhaps an anchor tenant there would be usefull??? Maybe MAHB will convince Transmile to shift ops from Subang to KLIA and use this terminal... or DHL Asia will set up a logistics centre... or even fedex or UPS... it would be ideal for such an operation!

i think no one highlight this before..

i'm kinda confused by the articles by our own press

Our LCCT's area at KLIA is approx. at 35,290 sqm and if you guys noticed, our press keep on saying that our LCCT is 5x larger than our counterpart...well, do the math,

35,290/5= 7058sqm for Changi's Budget terminal

but i've been reading many articles/reports on Changi Budget terminal and actually the total size area for the budget terminal is 25,000sqm, which is relatively around 3/4 of the size of our LCCT...

so i guess that our press never did their homework then...sigh...

well here's the link to Singapore budget terminal photos and I'm IMPRESSED!! :)

Changi Budget Terminal

Perhaps the comparison was done using number of gates as criteria ? Or perhaps passenger handling capacity ? Classic example of what the press can make you believe or disbelieve !!

From pax point of view;

1. MTB is still under utilized.

2. LCCT may reduce operating cost for AK at the inconveniece of paxs.

3. What is the frequency of shuttle bus between LCCT and MTB? How reliable is this service?

4. With 600 car park space, expect the rest of pax to take taxi?

5. What is the point to take 28 minute train ride to the KLIA and you may take more than 30 minutes to reach LCCT from MTB.

6. AK may need to run another $9.99 campaign to convience pax to use LCCT.

LCCT is built on reserved land for cargo. The building of LCCT is for somebody up the foodchain to generate income.

The problem with the LCAT location is, when KLIA was conceived about a decade ago there was no such thing as a low-cost terminal. Even the low-cost Air Asia was non-existence then. As such there is no logical space for them to put the LCAT. The current place I think is the best compromise, as incnvenience as it is. When they extend KLIA in the future, a proper place could be found. However that may not happen within my lifetime.

4. With 600 car park space, expect the rest of pax to take taxi?

Well, from the news, AK said they targeted 6 millions passengers this year...average 16438 per day and 684 passengers using LCC-T per hour.......it will be a heck of traffic jam at the terminal during peak hour. :D So I recommend take ERL which will be more expensive than AK ticket itself ;) May be they have 1000 parking spaces as Radzi stated eariler :)

The problem with the LCAT location is, when KLIA was conceived about a decade ago there was no such thing as a low-cost terminal. Even the low-cost Air Asia was non-existence then. As such there is no logical space for them to put the LCAT. The current place I think is the best compromise, as incnvenience as it is. When they extend KLIA in the future, a proper place could be found. However that may not happen within my lifetime.

The opening of LCC is just a total rush from both sides...................yet I still wandering what happen to MTB when they move their operations...empty :( no more rush hour at MTB :p

It's kinda sad to see how airlines to make as low cost they can make, remember once flying is a luxury with mighty 747 :(

So...is the opening on 23/3/06 'muktamad' ? :blink:

I need to know if this is confirmed also. Why? Because I do have an AK flight to catch on 23rd March to Tawau! And the flight is in the early morning, so I need to double-confirm a few days in advance regarding the new terminal opening, otherwise I may miss my flight.

Last week I asked the lady at KLIA information counter. She appeared a bit blur about the LCC terminal, but said about 4 express-bus-type vehicles will be used to ply the MTB-LCC Terminal and she expects hiccups in the first few days of operations. With hundreds of AK pax checking in at the wee hours of the morning, being there early is critical.

She even suggested one take a taxi direct to the LCC terminal.

Source said that MAHB will open it this Friday for people get to know the place. 3 airlines already confirm to start serices from LCCT. Will have 40 flights operated.

ia kini sudah tersergam indah dengan reka bentuk yang luas, bersiling tinggi dan bahagian hadapannya berbentuk seperti bulan sabit.
from UTUSAN

really :blink:

Source said that MAHB will open it this Friday for people get to know the place. 3 airlines already confirm to start serices from LCCT. Will have 40 flights operated.

from UTUSAN

really :blink:

Only 40 flights ?

3 airlines? I think I know who.

Air Asia

Thai Air Asia

AWAIR (Air Asia Indonesia)

Only 40 flights ?

Sebanyak tiga syarikat akan beroperasi di situ iaitu AirAsia, Thai AirAsia dan Indonesia AirAsia dengan anggaran 40 penerbangan domestik serta antarabangsa sehari.

40 international and domestic flights everyday :) Kenapa, tak percaya ker :D

read this, very interesting indeed..from NST

KLIA takes a step backwards

by Angela D’cruz

KUALA LUMPUR, Wed When the Kuala Lumpur International Airport’s newest terminal opens in two weeks, air traffic controllers posted there will return to the days of the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Airport.

In the seven-storey tower, controllers will use sight and radio communication with pilots to track aircraft movement in the area.

They need to punch this information into a workstation before the aircraft appear as blips on their screens.

This is how they used to work at the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Airport until 1998 when the KLIA opened with the latest equipment.

To return to the semi-automated working mode at the RM100 million low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) is a step backwards, they said.

It is not ideal but it works, DCA director-general Datuk Kok Soo Chon insisted.

He said it would take some time before the necessary equipment is fitted at the smaller of KLIA’s two flight control towers, which will handle aircraft movement for the LCCT.

"I assure you that everything will run smoothly. All our other airports work on (the same) semi-automatic mode and we don’t have a problem. Our controllers are well trained to handle the new terminal."

Work on the LCCT began 10 months ago, as Malaysia got into the race to open Southeast Asia’s first dedicated facility for no-frills airlines.

AirAsia will base its operations there.

The KLIA LCCT will open on March 23, three days before Singapore’s terminal at Changi. Thailand is planning to open its new international airport in June.

However, the KLIA LCCT will open without the RM50 million worth of equipment needed there.

Air traffic controllers posted to work at the LCCT have been worried that without the equipment, delays and congestion would result.

Two weeks ago, their union president had voiced their concern that there could be a bottle-neck at the point where aircraft from the LCCT joined other aircraft on the main airport taxi-way.

With a planned link to the main taxi-way yet to be built, the lack of automated equipment could cause a queue to form, holding up the aircraft from the LCCT, said Wan Muhaimin Wan Jamil, president of the Civil Aviation Air Traffic Control Services Union (CAATCSU).

The LCCT is located away from the main KLIA terminals and operations area.

According to International Civil Aviation Organisation standards, air traffic controllers should work with automated equipment.

The ICAO sets and regulates international air transport standards.

Running operations manually should only be for contingencies when equipment fail, said Andrew Tiede, ICAO air traffic management regional officer.

Tiede said manual air traffic control at the LCCT could cause congestion.

read this, very interesting indeed..from NST

Fairul,

I read it too this morning in the NST...quite shocking in a way. But doesn't the movements of the low cost airlines and frilled airlines the responsibility of the DCA at the main tower ? Or has it been spearheaded to two now for budget reasons ?

Very distrubing I'd say that the Union has something to say and no one is taking notice of it.

:angry:

Is it going to be like two airports in an airport.............how the pilot- controller going to communicate well if they were seperated?

Sign in to follow this