MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

MASwings Set To Fly To BIMP-EAGA

I think should be alright one, since they have state government support and the support from the transport ministry from Philippines, Indonesia and Brunei as reported by papers sometimes back...

I think MW is less in conflict with AK/MH than FY is. Perhaps, they should just dissolve FY and put everything into MW. We can have MW Borneo and MW Semenanjung. MW does not suffer from the LCC image that FY has - its ATRs even have two class seating...

The business (or premium) from them is economy seats, just that you have 2 seats to your own...well, I agreed very much, I don't see why have 2 companies having turboprops operations in the first place...better do one company solely for turboprops, doing anything for a maximum for 2 - 2.5 hours flights...

Awesome! MasWings can definitely make it better on KCH - BWN route after BI withdraw.

Why is that ? :pardon:

I think should be alright one, since they have state government support and the support from the transport ministry from Philippines, Indonesia and Brunei as reported by papers sometimes back...

What form will the "support" manifest ?

Lip service? Good for journalists to hark upon at spur of moment, will dissipate at next blink of eye

Monetary inentives ? May sustain for short while, but doubt if anyone can afford it long term

:pardon:

finally MasWings made it! after flying above/passed the "international" airspace for so many months and days. :p

this story of flying into Brunei, Pontianak & Tarakan has been reported in the newspapers since June of 2009, the story also resurfaced come June/July of 2010. And now, in August 2011 this story comes back to life. I wonder if the people running this company really got it all together now for all this.

at this juncture, they are better off thinking of their manpower capabilities as almost everybody is leaving the company left and right. the first few batches of ATR pilots would have served their 3 years training bond and almost all of us just cant wait to go elsewhere (even if the gras is not so green-er on the other side)

a couple of senior F/O's have left the company rejecting their command offer. a Captain also recently resigned from the company even with his bond not fully served yet. this shows how eager everybody is when it comes to leaving the company.

management might want to look into this matter before deciding on adding new routes, new planes and whatever gimmick they're trying to pull.

no crew means no flight.

simple as that.

They could always employ foreign crew on contract :pardon:

they certainly can, like they employed a couple of so called "rated" pilots from Europe earlier this year, and to just waste tens of thousands of dollars just to recruit them, and another tens of thousands of dollar to pay them to only find out later on that these guys cant work worth anything.

Give MASWings Rights To Operate Within BIMP-EAGA, Transport Ministry Told

KUCHING, Sept 10 (Bernama) -- The Ministry of Transport should accord MASWings the rights to operate within the Brunei-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East Asean Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA), including Brunei, to fill the existing vacuum, said Sarawak Tourism and Heritage Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Abang Openg.

Expressing disatisfaction that the ministry had yet to give the green light to MASWings, despite having received the Brunei government's approval to fly the sector, Abang Johari said, he would raise the matter with the federal government very soon.

"This is quite ironical...You can rationalise your airlines but don't discriminate and jeopardise the whole industry because Sarawak and Sabah are part of Malaysia and we contribute a lot to national development," he told reporters after closing the biannual general meeting of Universiti Teknologi Mara Sarawak Alumni here today.

He said the region was not being served at present after Royal Brunei Airlines withdrew its flights from the Kuching-Bandar Seri Begawan sector.

Abang Johari said the ministry should look into the pertinent requirements of the two states, particularly, within the BIMP-EAGA area.

On talks that Firefly would terminate flights into Sarawak and Sabah, he expressed concern that such a move might give have a negative impact on the state's efforts to promote tourism, especially in places without direct link.

It is understood that negotiations were held between the parent company, MAS and AirAsia as a result of rationalisation between the two airlines.

Abang Johari also said his ministry would discuss with MAS the possibility of buying the next generation of amphibious MASWings Twin otter aircraft to add value to the state's eco-tourism products sites like Batang Ai and Bakun lakes.

It is expected to cost an additional US$100 million.

His ministry would give a two-year time frame to develop basic infrastructure and roadmap to develop the state's numerous lakes and rivers as tourist attractions based on the Maldives' tourism industry's experience, he said.

Abang Johari will lead a delegation of state tourism officials to Maldives on Sept 19 to study the island nation's tourism products.

Abang Johari also said his ministry would discuss with MAS the possibility of buying the next generation of amphibious MASWings Twin otter aircraft

Abang Johari will lead a delegation of state tourism officials to Maldives on Sept 19 to study the island nation's tourism products.

Perhaps someone finally got inspired by Mr Lee's avatar pic ? :pardon: :lol:

Brunei air link in doubt

KUCHING: Tourism and Heritage Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg is disappointed that the Transport Ministry has not given its green light for MASwings to fly to Bandar Seri Begawan in Brunei.

He found it unacceptable that the ministry was still sitting on the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) subsidiary’s request to fly to the Sultanate especially when the Brunei government had already given its approval.

Johari said it was important for MASwings to ply the route because Royal Brunei Airlines had left a vacuum in accessibility after it pulled out of Sarawak in the middle of this year.

He added that the proposed route was also part of MASwings plan to expand its services to Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines-East Asean Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA).

“I was informed two days ago that the Transport Ministry still hasn’t approved it. If that is true, I’m not too happy. It should look at the requirements in Sarawak and Sabah within the BIMP-EAGA area.

“They should give MASwings the right to operate within the area that is not served by other airlines,” he told reporters after the closing of the UiTM Alumni Association biennial general meeting here yesterday.

Johari said the ministry must bear in mind that Sarawak and Sabah were vital components of the country’s tourism industry and air accessibility was crucial for them to succeed.

“It’s quite ironic that the Malaysian Govenment does not give MASwings the approval to fly to Brunei when the Brunei government had given the airline the green light to do so.

“If other people have given us the permission to fly into their country and yet we do not allow our people to do so, there is something wrong,” he said, adding that he would bring up the matter with the Federal Government.

On reports that Firefly wanted to terminate its services in Sarawak and Sabah, Johari said if it happened it would have negative implications on the state’s effort to promote tourism.

“Yes, I have heard about it, that it could be a result of rationalisation by AirAsia and MAS. They cannot allow Firefly to compete with AirAsia.

“It is not confirmed, but I understand that there is a negotiation between the parent company MAS and AirAsia.”

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/11/sarawak/9468189&sec=sarawak

Maybe they can consider those Twin Otters with floats.

Wonderful if they can manage a multi-hop service, say, Kuching-Sibu-Miri-BSB-Labuan-KK (note, not KCH-SBW-MYY-BWN-LBU-BKI :) ) using the floated Otters :D

Wonderful if they can manage a multi-hop service, say, Kuching-Sibu-Miri-BSB-Labuan-KK (note, not KCH-SBW-MYY-BWN-LBU-BKI :) ) using the floated Otters :D

Bintulu has no coveniently-located rivers? If not, can try Bakun.

Bintulu has no coveniently-located rivers? If not, can try Bakun.

Oh beg pardon, squeeze in Bintulu somewhere then :)

(yes, it's on bank of a river, near the estuary - at least that was the impression I got from online maps :p )

MASwings not flying to Brunei upsets more quarters

KUCHING: The Transport Ministry’s refusal to give MASWings quick approval to become a sub-Asean air carrier will upset more than Malaysia’s tourism players.

Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines, East Asean Growth Region (Bimp-Eaga) Tourism Council last year submitted a letter of support to the Transport Ministry, urging it to grant MASWings rights to operate flights between the four countries.

But last weekend, the state Tourism and Heritage Ministry revealed the federal ministry was sitting on the decision.

In an immediate reaction, Bimp-EAGA’s Malaysia Tourism Council chairman, Datuk Wee Hong Seng, said the council “cannot understand why it is taking so long”.

“Bimp-EAGA wrote to the Transport Ministry last year specifically to voice our support for MASWings to operate more routes. We had signatures from representatives from all four countries,” Wee told reporters on Saturday. “Now, we just don’t know why the approval is being held back.”

Wee said the council wrote the letter, with the understanding of Sarawak and Sabah governments’ intention of having MASWings expand eastwards in Asean, while Firefly expanded services to from here to peninsula Malaysia.

Both MASWings and Firefly are sister airlines of national air carrier Malaysia Airlines, which recently underwent a share swap deal with its main rival AirAsia.

“With the latest developments, perhaps plans are being pushed back,” Wee said.

“But I don’t see why the (Transport) Ministry would not want to let MASWings quickly expand. They (MASWings) want it. They know passenger volume is not a problem.”

Wee added that tourism players in the four countries had plans to “spend a lot of money” to promote the routes.

“We had hoped it would not have taken this long. Anyway, I’ve just spoken to MASWings’ people today (Saturday). I told them to tell us if they need another letter of support, we’ll quickly send another one,” Wee added.

MASWings has been trying to secure approval from the Transport Ministry to begin Kuching-Brunei flights.

Presently, there is no flight between the two destinations, following Royal Brunei Air’s cancellation mid year. RBA is in the midst of a revamp.

When the matter came to light, the state authorities were quick to announce that MASWings would take over the route.

“All this time MASWings had been subsidised to provide rural area services (RAS), and now they want to fly a route that does not need to be subsided, and yet you don’t want to quickly allow MASWings to fly it?” Wee said.

He said the slow decision had nothing to do with the policies of the other three sub-Asean countries.

“It seems like this is an internal thing (for Malaysia). In the first place, this should not be a difficult thing to sort out.

“Why are we begging other countries’ airlines to come to us, and then when our own (airline) is willing, you don’t allow?

“I hope they come to their senses soon. It is not fair for Sarawak and Sabah to be affected by this share swap.”

Wee was speaking to reporters after opening a singing contest here. MAS and AirAsia are undertaking a route rationalisation exercise.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/12/sarawak/9479839&sec=sarawak

What else is new??

Sign in to follow this