MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sharil Abdul Rahman

Everything Scoot

SQ launched Tiger Airways to compete with AK and end up with 'Broken Image'. This one is going to be the same but in the 'long way'. =@

Well at least they launched new airlines to compete with LCCs.

MH used FY and pretended to be a "community airline" (whatever that means) flying turboprops out of the PEN "HQ". We now know that this is a backdoor LCC masquerading as a "community airline". MH simply did not really know how to best compete with LCCs.

However, both SQ and MH have found out that LCCs are really tough competitors. It should be interesting to see what comes out of this new long haul LCC from SQ.

Edited by flee

Wonder if any SQ 744s will be transferred over. Would be lovely to see the 744s in LCC colours

Highly unlikely. The 744s would not be very economical. I reckon we'll see the 772 or the 333 in the new SQ LCC.

Highly unlikely. The 744s would not be very economical. I reckon we'll see the 772 or the 333 in the new SQ LCC.

Well said; Remember what happened to Oasis Hong Kong? Hopefully they will operating 333,just like D7 did.

The newer 744s are already destined for BCF conversions and will be used by SIA Cargo. The A333s are far too new to be tranferred. The old 772s would be ideal candidates as they can be refurbished and fitted with high density seating configurations.

SIA to operate long-haul low-cost unit using Boeing 777-200s

Singapore Airlines will operate its planned long-haul low-cost carrier unit using Boeing 777-200s.

The aircraft, which will be acquired from its parent company, will be reconfigured with a new seating layout, Singapore Airlines said.

SIA declined to specify the number of aircraft earmarked for the new carrier.

"The low-cost airline will be using our 777-200 derated aircraft," it said.

"It is not certain that there will be software upgrade plans for the 777-200s."

It cites the "proven versatility and reliability" of the 777-200s as key drivers for the decision.

"The selection of the initial fleet marks another milestone in the establishment of the new airline," said Campbell Wilson, the newly-appointed CEO of the new airline.

"The process is progressing well for our launch next year. The new airline will operate under a no-frills, low-fare model serving medium and long-haul routes. It will be operated independently and be managed separately from Singapore Airlines," Wilson said.

The parent company is yet to name the new carrier.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/07/22/359819/sia-to-operate-long-haul-low-cost-unit-using-boeing.html

I assume the six B772ER returning from RBA will be among the first to be reconfigured. SQ's fleet offers quite nice flexibility.

I think 1 of the RBA B772 is heading to Air Pacific, but, yes, agreed the soon-to-be ex-RBA units will be first in line for SQ LCC.

But I suspect they are probably aiming for a 'grand' start, with more B772s than we ever imagined. SQ is replacing some B772 sectors from the parent airline ops, including re-activating a B744 for HKG operations! So, I bet the B772 currently deployed to HKG/CGK will be transferred over to LCC.

Also, read that they will reconfig the aircraft to have 10 seats abreast on B777s! 3-4-3.....

Sorry, OT

What is BI going to fly long haul if the 772's are being returned ?

Are they that early in the 787 queue ?

I think 1 of the RBA B772 is heading to Air Pacific, but, yes, agreed the soon-to-be ex-RBA units will be first in line for SQ LCC.

But I suspect they are probably aiming for a 'grand' start, with more B772s than we ever imagined. SQ is replacing some B772 sectors from the parent airline ops, including re-activating a B744 for HKG operations! So, I bet the B772 currently deployed to HKG/CGK will be transferred over to LCC.

Also, read that they will reconfig the aircraft to have 10 seats abreast on B777s! 3-4-3.....

Thanks for the details, Keekeat. Being one of the largest operator of B777 previously, SQ has a great operational flexibility when it comes to fleet. Those B777s with old regional seat may not get to be reconfigured with new J and Y class, rather heading towards SQ LCC directly.

May I know where are they getting the reactivated B744? As far as I know they are now down to last four/five B744. 3-4-3 in a B777 is a torture.....heading EK's way.

BTW, Welcome to MWings, keekeat! Happy flying!

Sorry, OT

What is BI going to fly long haul if the 772's are being returned ?

Are they that early in the 787 queue ?

Four will be returning to SQ soon by end of the year. Therefore leaving two B777s doing LHR route. The lease was signed for a year and a half in 2009.

Yes, BI's five B787 are booked under LCAL,a Dubai based leasing firm. In 2008, LCAL was one of pioneers to book an order, 16 was ordered (for RBA and Royal Jordanian). By early 2009, LCAL had cancelled all but five of order. All five are destined to RBA, presumably.

(Source: http://www.bt.com.bn/business-national/2010/11/06/rba-orders-5-boeing-787-jets-mulls-seoul-taipei-tokyo-routes, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008710913_webboeing05.html)

Edited by JuliusWong

I wonder which will be their first routes.

The kangaroo routes should be high on their list of priorities as D7 is doing roaring business on it. Other routes might include those to India and China.

Edited by flee

Do I also see some extra demands in technical crews here? :rolleyes:

Don't really think so as SQ Engineering has enough pool of engineers and other personnel as of now. They are staggered among all the SQ's subsidiaries I supposed. SQ, MI, TR and soon new 'LCC'

I wonder which will be their first routes.

The kangaroo routes should be high on their list of priorities as D7 is doing roaring business on it. Other routes might include those to India and China.

I supposed first few route will be intra-Asian routes as according to IATA the next 'boom' in airline industry is from Asia itself.

Edited by JuliusWong

SIA Plans To Name Its New Medium-Haul LCC Scoot

Posted by Leithen Francis at 8/23/2011 11:37 PM CDT

As reported on Aviation Week’s Intelligence Network (AWIN) late yesterday (Aug. 23), Singapore Airlines (SIA) has taken steps to name its new medium-haul low-cost carrier Scoot.

When I first saw that they planned to call it Scoot, I was shocked. I then laughed, thinking the name was a ridiculous choice. But the more I thought about it, the more I felt the choice of name made sense.

SIA not only plans to use the brand name Scoot for its new airline, but also use it to brand the LCC’s ancillary services such as priority check-in, priority boarding, ticket upgrades, frequent flyer programs, etc.

This brand name can be leveraged quite effectively into these related service offerings. The brand name – unlike AirAsia - is also not limited to a specific geographic region. In future if SIA wanted to launch a LCC in another country, say for example a nation in Europe, then the Scoot brand would work in that market too.

The choice of name also reveals how concerned SIA is, that the new LCC will cannibalize the mainline carrier’s business. One of the concerns is that SIA customers will be tempted to fly the LCC because they know it is associated with SIA. Therefore, it is important to brand the LCC in such a way that it is distinctly different to SIA mainline. I think the Scoot brand name achieves that objective.

Scoot? How hilarious. I'm glad Malaysia can always provide better names. Especially the multiple access card. Like Malaysian, its name is TouchNGo's, a very meaningful name, compared to Singapore's EasyLink and HK's Octopus... yuck!

Scoot? How hilarious. I'm glad Malaysia can always provide better names. Especially the multiple access card. Like Malaysian, its name is TouchNGo's, a very meaningful name, compared to Singapore's EasyLink and HK's Octopus... yuck!

Singapore's Eazylink & Hong Kong's Octopus may sound ridiculous but theirs are like zillion times better than our Touch N' Go. Nama saja Touch N's Go but in reality, Touch N' Go is more like Touch, wait, then go or Touch, touch again, please try at another gate :lol:

Edited by Isaac

Singapore's Eazylink & Hong Kong's Octopus may sound ridiculous but theirs are like zillion times better than our Touch N' Go. Touch N' Go is more like Touch, wait, then go or Touch, touch again, please try at another gate :lol:

:clapping:

Singapore's Eazylink & Hong Kong's Octopus may sound ridiculous but theirs are like zillion times better than our Touch N' Go. Touch N' Go is more like Touch, wait, then go or Touch, touch again, please try at another gate :lol:

Well, at least the name is pleasing the ears.

EZ Link means all public transport can be easily accessed using this card.

Octopus means that the card has great reach

TouchNGo means frustration! Plus there isn't much in terms of value added. The card is unreliable, top ups can screw up, accounting is not reliable (web site hard to use), etc. No wonder people only use it for limited functions. It is not as pervasive as the Singapore and Hong Kong payment cards.

EZ Link means all public transport can be easily accessed using this card.

Octopus means that the card has great reach

TouchNGo means frustration! Plus there isn't much in terms of value added. The card is unreliable, top ups can screw up, accounting is not reliable (web site hard to use), etc. No wonder people only use it for limited functions. It is not as pervasive as the Singapore and Hong Kong payment cards.

We are talking about the naming, not the function of the cards. I bet it would depend on what type of TnGO cards you're using. Mine has no trouble at all, not unless it's not a sole TnGo card which was integrated from other cards like MyKads etc. Top Ups can be done at all LRT stations though I hardly use them since mine is TnGO Zing Card, auto reload once falls below RM50. I think the website is still okay, but sometimes slow on uploading the transactions.

We are talking about the naming, not the function of the cards. I bet it would depend on what type of TnGO cards you're using. Mine has no trouble at all, not unless it's not a sole TnGo card which was integrated from other cards like MyKads etc. Top Ups can be done at all LRT stations though I hardly use them since mine is TnGO Zing Card, auto reload once falls below RM50. I think the website is still okay, but sometimes slow on uploading the transactions.

way to go Mike! yes! we are talking about the name

Scoot ? sounds too similar to shoot... :finger: