MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ikman Ikreza

MAS to have direct flights KBR-BKI?

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia have agreed to extend the deferment period for passengers who bought air tickets to Japan before the earthquake on March 11.

"MAS passengers now have until May 24 to travel or seek a refund for their tickets while AirAsia passengers have until May 15," said Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ng Yen Yen after the ministry's excellent service awards here yesterday.

The earlier deadlines had been April 15 for MAS and April 11 for AirAsia. The extension was decided after a second round of discussions with the airlines on Monday.

The ministry, she added, also expected to see a 20% drop in tourist arrivals from Japan.

"It is a significant market for us. More than 415,000 Japanese tourists arrived last year with an average spending power of RM2,751 (S$1,131) a person," she said. adding that the ministry was also looking into ways to open up travel to East Malaysia to encourage domestic travel.

"Discussions are ongoing between Sabah state tourism and MAS to have direct flights from Kota Baru to Kota Kinabalu twice a week," she said.

She hoped the flights would commence sometime in June.

-The Star/Asia News Network

Source : http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Relax/Story/A1Story20110423-275172.html

Twice a week won't do much good IMO; it should be daily if they want it work.

Plus I think MH/AK/FY should start/restart KBR-JHB first before they consider East Malaysian destinations.

In airline lingo, there is a difference between direct flight and non-stop flight.

KBR also has a short runway and no fuel.

In airline lingo, there is a difference between direct flight and non-stop flight.

Well said,Capt.Radzi. Surprised to hear on KBR; so that means the aircraft can't refuel at KBR? Am i right,Capt?

There used to be fuel in KBR in the 90s. However due to the low demand, price was expensive so flight to KBR was tankering, meaning we carried fuel from KUL. To keep the business running, we have a quota of minimum uplift from KBR per day. That way the fuel company (I think it was Shell) can afford to keep its operation running, and MAS can have fuel when needed. The fuel depot was removed when the new terminal building was constructed, and since then KBR has been a nil fuel station for the airlines. Both MHS and AFTS have their own fuel sources, but not available to the airlines.

There used to be fuel in KBR in the 90s. However due to the low demand, price was expensive so flight to KBR was tankering, meaning we carried fuel from KUL. To keep the business running, we have a quota of minimum uplift from KBR per day. That way the fuel company (I think it was Shell) can afford to keep its operation running, and MAS can have fuel when needed. The fuel depot was removed when the new terminal building was constructed, and since then KBR has been a nil fuel station for the airlines. Both MHS and AFTS have their own fuel sources, but not available to the airlines.

Maybe be they will bring back the fuel station for the airlines after runway extend work finish later? I saw some of new building in construction at KBR.

Load on KUL/KBR is high because journey time by car between KUL/KBR is over 5 hours, doesn’t mean demand on KBR/BKI will be substantial.

I never thought that KBR has no refuel capability. Good to know... thanks.

I hope we can see KBR-BKK materialised :rolleyes:

we already have daily PEN-BKI which to my opinion full to the brim all the time and PEN-KCH increased to 2xdaily now..

KBR-BKI errr... that's why only 2x week. trial period maybe... :unknw:

I never thought that KBR has no refuel capability. Good to know... thanks.

I hope we can see KBR-BKK materialised :rolleyes:

Maybe they will have to build a fuel depot before the services can commence. I am doubtful a B734 can carry so much fuel from BKI for a return trip.

we already have daily PEN-BKI which to my opinion full to the brim all the time and PEN-KCH increased to 2xdaily now..

KBR-BKI errr... that's why only 2x week. trial period maybe... :unknw:

AK reverting KCH-PEN back to once daily after June...closing down KCH's base maybe?

AK reverting KCH-PEN back to once daily after June...closing down KCH's base maybe?

Probably just seasonal offer, even KCH - SIN also reverted back to daily...

Oppss sorry, reverting myself for AK still flies KCH - SIN twice a day till Feb 2012...

KCH-SIN is still available 2X daily till Dec...Did you receive any notification on the change in schedule Mike?

Runaway extension is done. 2400m only, still short for bigger aircraft like B747. Fuel? As far as I know, under construction along with the airport extension and upgrading project.

Runaway extension is done. 2400m only, still short for bigger aircraft like B747. Fuel? As far as I know, under construction along with the airport extension and upgrading project.

Yup, new runaway already opened for landing and takeoff since last week. One more thing from my observation old gate "jaring" nearest airport carpark in progress to replaced with new wall gate "batu bata" so blocking to spotted aircraft anymore :D