MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Current Fleet Withdrawal Thread

KUL-SBW and KCH-SBW to be upgraded to 738? Finally.

One has to pray it's not the 'non-standard' leased 738. LCC legroom in EY after the emergency rows and some of the leather seats aren't exactly clean.

KUL-SBW and KCH-SBW to be upgraded to 738? Finally.

KUL-BTU will have B738 in Nov, I'll be operating one. Maybe KUL-SBW too, soon. But I expect KCH-SBW will be among the last bastion of the B734.

KUL-BTU will have B738 in Nov, I'll be operating one. Maybe KUL-SBW too, soon. But I expect KCH-SBW will be among the last bastion of the B734.

Probably Capt; Hopefully by 2013 all flights to and fro SBW is operated by 738.It's been almost a year since the FY ceased their 738 services to SBW.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

What about BKI-SDK and BKI-TWU still 734?

Tried booking KUL - TWU direct the other day, it is still showing 734, IIRC...

Edited by S V Choong

Last I heard the are still 16 B734 with MH, and apparently they are keeping some of them in the fleet for quite a few years yet. Probably because it is cheaper to keep rather than to sell them, and also with more routes being operated by the B738, they don't have enough to replace the B734.

Malaysia Airlines has 10 B737-800NG in production sequence to be delivered over next few months, including MS* series. Contrary to what most of us believe, MH seems to be accelerating the retirement of B734. Most of the B734 has been sold and leased back, for parting out or to third party. Currently the B734 and B738 fleet stand almost at same number.

Malaysia Airlines has 10 B737-800NG in production sequence to be delivered over next few months, including MS* series. Contrary to what most of us believe, MH seems to be accelerating the retirement of B734. Most of the B734 has been sold and leased back, for parting out or to third party. Currently the B734 and B738 fleet stand almost at same number.

Good! The sooner the 734s are gone, the better it is for everyone!

Last I heard the are still 16 B734 with MH, and apparently they are keeping some of them in the fleet for quite a few years yet.

Goodness, means the recent outpouring of nostalgic sentiments was way too premature then :D

Also means M&M/Smarties themed journeys will still be available - wheee :p

Goodness, means the recent outpouring of nostalgic sentiments was way too premature then :D

I'm starting to take photos now whenever I'm on B734 :) 3 rides for the past 4 weeks :p

Recap on status of aircraft under review in this thread:

Boeing 737-400

Active:

1. 9M-MMA

2. 9M-MMB

3. 9M-MMC

4. 9M-MMD

5. 9M-MMF

6. 9M-MMG

7. 9M-MMH

8. 9M-MMJ

9. 9M-MMK

10. 9M-MML

11. 9M-MMQ

12. 9M-MMR

13. 9M-MMS

14. 9M-MMT

15. 9M-MMU

16. 9M-MMW

17. 9M-MMX

18. 9M-MMY

19. 9M-MMZ

20. 9M-MQA

21. 9M-MQB

22. 9M-MQD

23. 9M-MQE

24. 9M-MQF

25. 9M-MQI

26. 9M-MQK

27. 9M-MQN

28. 9M-MQO

29. 9M-MQQ

Gone:

1. 9M-MME

2. 9M-MMI

3. 9M-MMM

4. 9M-MMN

5. 9M-MMV

6. 9M-MQC

7. 9M-MQG

8. 9M-MQM

9. 9M-MQP

Airbus 330-200

1. 9M-MKX

2. 9M-MKV

3. 9M-MKW

Airbus 330-300

Active:

1. 9M-MKA

2. 9M-MKE

3. 9M-MKI

4. 9M-MKJ

Stored:

1. 9M-MKC

2. 9M-MKF

3. 9M-MKG

4. 9M-MKH

Gone:

1. 9M-MKD

Boeing 747-400

Active:

1. 9M-MPK Johor Bahru

2. 9M-MPL Penang

3. 9M-MPM Melaka

4. 9M-MPN Pangkor

5. 9M-MPP Putrajaya

6. 9M-MPQ Kuala Lumpur

Gone:

1. 9M-MPB Shah Alam

2. 9M-MPF Kota Bharu

3. 9M-MPH Langkawi

4. 9M-MPO Alor Setar

Summary:

- B734 9/38 frames have gone [24% completed]

- A332 0/3 frames have gone [0% completed]

- A333 1/9 frames have gone [11% completed]

- B744 4/10 frames have gone [40% completed]

Good! The sooner the 734s are gone, the better it is for everyone!

No, I beg to differ. I like the thick cushion seats!! Much better than leather seats....:p

I'm starting to take photos now whenever I'm on B734 :) 3 rides for the past 4 weeks :p

Yes, I am doing the same thing. For memory....

MH will end up keeping 4 B744 in the fleet, 2 cargo and 2 pax, which probably will be used for Hajj / charter flights.

MH will end up keeping 4 B744 in the fleet, 2 cargo and 2 pax, which probably will be used for Hajj / charter flights.

It will most probably would be 9M-MPP and 9M-MPQ. I think it would be much financially wiser to lease the aircraft for Hajj. Maintaining a small sub-fleet just for Hajj all year round may not be wise.

It will most probably would be 9M-MPP and 9M-MPQ. I think it would be much financially wiser to lease the aircraft for Hajj. Maintaining a small sub-fleet just for Hajj all year round may not be wise.

MASkargo has two B744Fs and MASCharters not only do Haj flights - I think during Capt Nik's time, they do a lot of special charters too. 4 aircraft should be OK especially since MAS engineering maintenance not only serves MAS but also other airlines.

Shaheen Air of Pakistan is taking most of ex-MH B734. Deliveries of following three B734 are expected in coming weeks:

AP-BJP

Aircraft Type: Boeing 737-4H6

Year Built: 1993

Construction Number: 27167

Last Known Registration: N109PR

Last Known Operator: Registered in Malaysia as 9M-MMN and operated by Malaysia Airlines from 1993 to 2012. Registered in USA as N109PR for Bank of Utah in July 2012. To serve Shaheen Air as AP-BJP.

AP-BJQ

Year Built: 1993

Construction Number: 26449

Last Known Registration: N102KR

Brief History: Registered in Malaysia as 9M-MMV and delivered to Malaysia Airlines in June 1993. Registered in USA as N102KR for Bank of Utah in August 2012. To serve Shaheen Air as AP-BJQ.

AP-BJV

Year Built: 1994

Construction Number: 27190

Last Known Registration: N112SE

Brief History: Registered in Malaysia as 9M-MQG and delivered to Malaysia Airlines in February 1994. Registered in USA as N112SE for Bank of Utah in July 2012. To serve Shaheen Air as AP-BJV.

These are additional to:

AP-BJN: ex 9M-MQC [currently stored due to landing gear collapsed incident]

AP-BJO: ex 9M-MMM

AP-BJU: ex 9M-MME

Source: historyofpia.com, planespotters.net

Edited by JuliusWong

Bursa Malaysia filing on the purchase of 10 leased B734s from lessor. Many have said that MH have overpaid for such aircraft (about 2X the market value). These B734s are now scheduled to be retired in 2014.

http://www.bursamalaysia.com/market/listed-companies/company-announcements/1128601

How old are the planes? Apparently from this page even a 1991 vintage 734 is going for USD 5 million

http://www.globalplanesearch.com/jets/airliners/boeing/737_400.htm?sort=price

How about B737-300? How much are they worth? There are a few laying derelict near the AirAsia hangar in KUL. I hope they don't do it like they do in Indonesia where you can see derelict airframes in almost every airport.

Bursa Malaysia filing on the purchase of 10 leased B734s from lessor. Many have said that MH have overpaid for such aircraft (about 2X the market value). These B734s are now scheduled to be retired in 2014.

We have little info to come out with a concrete conclusion but from logical point of view, it is absurd for MH to pay RM 196 million for old aircraft that they are already leasing and then going to use them for only 24 months (that is if MH planned to use them until 31 December 2014). It does seem to me that MH is lacking a strong person in leading the deal (to push Bank of Utah in some way or another to accept the frames in its current condition when the leasing expires or at least to minimize the losses to MH for redelivery related expenses to the lowest amount possible rather than having to purchase the aircraft like what is happening).

In page 3 of the announcement:

MAS is progressively taking delivery of new B737-800, A330-300 Enhanced and A380-500 from aircraft manufacturers

Not nitpicking but it is utterly unacceptable for MH's very own legal/secretarial department to have made the same grave error ala typical Malaysian journalists each time they encountered with aircraft type. I. Just. Don't. Get. It!

How old are the planes? Apparently from this page even a 1991 vintage 734 is going for USD 5 million

From the list of MH's 29 B734s, 27 of them are manufactured in 1994 and prior. Only 2 frames are manufactured in 1999. So if a vintage 1991 B734 is selling for RM 15 million, it does appear to me rather plain simply that MH has overpaid for these 10 aircraft.

The fact revealed by Mushrif in the Q3 result thread that Khazanah is again bailing out MH for the nth number of times is not helping either.

The Malaysian government over pay for everything. Why should this be an exceptional case?

Malaysia Airlines A330-322 9M-MKC

Manufacturer series: cn 069.

First delivered: 28/09/1994
Configuration C 44, Y 250
Ferried 24-26/11/2012 Subang Airport to New Chitose Airport, Japan. Onwards to Portland Int'l Airport, USA. Currently stored at Tupelo Regional Airport for part-out and scrap.

Edited by JuliusWong

Capt, I thought KUL-BTU-KUL have been serviced by B738 all this while. I checked once a while on MH2743 and MH2742 at flightradar24.com. It shows the B738 as the aircraft being used.

Capt, I thought KUL-BTU-KUL have been serviced by B738 all this while. I checked once a while on MH2743 and MH2742 at flightradar24.com. It shows the B738 as the aircraft being used.

No. I flew in Oct and it was B734. Had a flight to BTU-KUL-BTU 2 days ago which was served by B738.

Outbound : 9M-MXK [brilliantly comfortable with new seats, clear windows + IFE :clapping: ]

Inbound : 9M-FFE [Crap seats, crap legroom. :bad: B734 beats this any day ]