MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ganesh.r

Sir Richard Branson as AirAsia Stewardess on 12 May 2013

Interesting.....

Branson's stewardess challenge to AirAsia boss

Richard Branson has challenged aviation rival Tony Fernandes to a Formula One duel with the loser having to dress up as an airline stewardess.

AirAsia's Fernandes, who once worked for Branson's music business, said last week that his new Malaysian-backed Lotus F1 team had to beat Branson's Virgin Racing operation next season.

"Number one we have to be ahead of Branson, otherwise I will retire and kill myself," said the Malaysian.

Branson, speaking at the launch of his team, suggested a less painful alternative.

"Having come from a music background, I suppose we might be able to choose the music for the funeral," joked the Briton. "But I like Tony a lot so I hope he doesn't have to kill himself.

"At the same obviously we would like to beat him. Maybe we can think of another challenge. He has an airline, we have an airline and if we beat him he can come and work on our airline as a Virgin stewardess.

"We will make sure that the stewardess outfit is perfect. I suspect that he might ask us to reciprocate," added Branson.

"I'll have to check how fetching his stewardess outfits are but I'd be game to do it while totally confident of winning."

Branson and Fernandes join Force India's Vijay Mallya, who controls the Kingfisher airline, as a trio of aviation entrepreneurs challenging the established players in the skies and on the Formula One starting grid.

"It's a very friendly personal rivalry," Branson said. "And it's fun.

"What I discovered last year (as sponsor of Brawn) is that there are a billion people that watch Formula One and the people that watch it are fanatical.

"For us to be involved in Formula One is good for the brand. Formula One is a sexy beast and we are going to try and make it a little bit sexier.

"We love supporting an underdog but we like that underdog to have some pretty good qualities"

Reuters

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/bransons-stewardess-challenge-to-airasia-boss-20091216-kx3u.html

Heard this over the news today and thought it was kinda interesting. For sure if Tony lost he will not be providing Malaysian Hospitality. :p

From Paul Tan.

Any publicity is good publicity, something perhaps both Richard Branson of Virgin and Tony Fernandes of AirAsia subscribe to. We all know about the battle of the newcomers between the two airline cum Formula 1 team chiefs, where the loser will don a stewardess outfit of the rival airline and serve passengers onboard. Lotus Racing has finished ahead of Virgin in the 2010 season, which means the Englishman will have the honour.

In the midst of celebrations last night in Abu Dhabi, Lotus Racing chief Fernandes passed Branson an AirAsia uniform and pinned a stewardess’ badge on the Virgin Racing boss. The two men then agreed how the bet would be settled.

“There has been a fantastic spirit of competition between us and Virgin Racing all season and one of the first people to come and congratulate us on the pitwall was Richard. We have had this great bet running all season and now it’s time for Richard to start preparing himself for some hard work and the likely pain of a pair of high heels!

“We agreed last night that we will run an online charity auction for the seats on our Kuala Lumpur – London route to raise money for a charity of Richard’s choice and give fans of both teams the chance to be on the flight. The date of the flight will be announced very soon and the aim is to raise as much money as we can for a good cause so the discomfort Richard will go through is worth as much as it possibly can be!” revealed Fernandes.

More details on the date of the flight and how to enter the charity auction to bid for a seat will be announced soon. Stay tuned!

Translated from Google Translate :

Richard Branson so AirAsia stewardess May 1

KUALA LUMPUR, April 11 - Imagine a man who is well known in the international corporate world to lose in the betting following the flight attendant.

More interestingly, the man, the owner of Virgin airlines, Richard Branson will be a flight attendant for a local budget airline, AirAsia for about 13 hours.

Branson agreed stewardess uniform, a red skirt and blazer red serving passengers in a special flight from London's Stansted Airport to the Low Cost Carrier Terminal in Sepang on May 1 next.

He was forced to do so following the defeat in a bet with AirAsia Bhd chief executive officer., Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes in Formula 1 (F1) last season.

In gaming, he is also the owner of Virgin and Fernandes team as Team Principal of Lotus is poised to become stewardesses if their team lost the race.

After the F1 race in 2010 to close the curtain end of last year, Team Lotus managed to overcome the Virgin team.

Members of the public who wish to experience the party entertained by the famous aviation figures can book tickets now.

The flight scheduled to depart in the evening at 4 pm from the airport in London, and is expected to arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 12 noon the next day.

All money raised special airline ticket sales will be used for charitable purposes.

In Malay newspaper : Utusan Malaysia

Richard Branson jadi pramugari AirAsia 1 Mei

KUALA LUMPUR 11 April - Bayangkan seorang lelaki yang terkenal dalam dunia korporat antarabangsa menjadi pramugari ekoran kalah dalam pertaruhan.

Lebih menarik lagi, lelaki itu, pemilik syarikat penerbangan Virgin, Richard Branson akan menjadi pramugari untuk syarikat penerbangan tambang murah tempatan, AirAsia selama lebih kurang 13 jam.

Branson bersetuju memakai pakaian seragam pramugari, skirt dan blazer merah melayani kerenah penumpang dalam penerbangan khas dari Lapangan Terbang Stansted di London ke Terminal Penerbangan Tambang Murah di Sepang pada 1 Mei depan.

Beliau terpaksa berbuat demikian ekoran kekalahannya dalam pertaruhan dengan Ketua Pegawai Eksekutif AirAsia Bhd., Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes dalam perlumbaan Formula 1 (F1) musim lalu.

Dalam pertaruhan tersebut, beliau yang juga pemilik pasukan Virgin dan Fernandes selaku Prinsipal Team Lotus bersedia untuk menjadi pramugari jika pasukan mereka tewas dalam perlumbaan tersebut.

Selepas perlumbaan F1 2010 menutup tirai penghujung tahun lalu, Team Lotus berjaya mengatasi pasukan Virgin.

Orang ramai yang berminat untuk merasai pengalaman istimewa dilayan oleh tokoh penerbangan terkenal tersebut boleh membuat tempahan tiket sekarang.

Penerbangan tersebut dijadualkan berlepas pada pukul petang 4 petang dari lapangan terbang di London itu dan dijangka tiba di Kuala Lumpur pada pukul 12 tengahari keesokan hari.

Kesemua wang yang diraih hasil penjualan tiket penerbangan khas tersebut akan digunakan untuk tujuan amal.

Source Utusan Malaysia : http://utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2011&dt=0412&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Korporat&pg=ko_03.htm

Finally!

A quick check on the booking engine, seats are still available on the flight for a minimum price of GBP 309.00 or about RM 1,525.55.

Finally!

A quick check on the booking engine, seats are still available on the flight for a minimum price of GBP 309.00 or about RM 1,525.55.

It's a good deal. TF text on his FB wall

Tony Fernandes

Its official. Richard branson will serve as stewardess on may1st. Special airasia x flight. Seats on sale at airasiago. All money to charity. Dj and eddie jordan performing.

Oh it's a different flight. The one bookable on AK's website are:

Depart

D72009 London (STN) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

Sunday, 1 May 2011

Depart 2315 Arrive 1915 (+1 day)

which is not tally to description of the flight mentioned in the news article "Penerbangan tersebut dijadualkan berlepas pada pukul petang 4 petang dari lapangan terbang di London itu dan dijangka tiba di Kuala Lumpur pada pukul 12 tengahari keesokan hari."

So it could be the tickets are exclusively being sell on AirAsiaGo website only.

WOW!

3 packages are available for booking:

Package 1 : Richard Branson Charity Flight + Hotel Package + Charity Cocktail Evening (5,200 GBP)

Package 2 : Richard Branson Charity Flight (4,500GBP)

Package 3 : Charity Cocktail Evening (350 GBP)

I think RB will set a new betting again over TF soon, he and we really wanna see TF as stewardess on Virgin Airlines and serve the passengers via "any meals or drinks to purchase..". Hahaha

So it could be the tickets are exclusively being sell on AirAsiaGo website only.

Yup, sell on AirAsiaGo website. Here the link http://www.airasiago.com/service/static_page.cfm?nav=enMALAYSIA&page=richardbranson

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Kuala Lumpur, 13 April 2011 – When AirAsia Group CEO and Team Lotus co-principal Dato’ Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes agreed to a friendly wager with Virgin Group & Marussia Virgin Racing’s Sir Richard Branson on the sidelines of the 2010 Bahrain Formula One GP, little did they expect the twists, turns and obstacles they would have to go through to complete the wager.

9 months and 19 races later, at the spectacular Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, Dato’ Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes’ Team Lotus came out tops and just when the whole world were getting ready to see Sir Richard Branson don the red and sexy AirAsia female flight attendant uniform and be an AirAsia crew for a day there was another twist in the tale. Richard ruptured a ligament after colliding into a teenager on the ski slopes in Switzerland; well, that’s how the story goes anyway.

Five months after the colourful evening in Abu Dhabi, the day of reckoning for Sir Richard Branson has finally arrived. On May 1, 2011, onboard AirAsia flight D7 08 from London to Kuala Lumpur, Sir Richard Branson will don AirAsia’s famous red female flight attendant uniform and strut down the aisle to offer coffee, tea or any other food or beverage to Tony Fernandes and 250 other guests on the special 13-hour KL-bound flight.

This not-to-be-missed opportunity to join two of the most illustrious characters in aviation and make history 35,000 feet in the sky for charity will be available for booking online at www.AirAsiaGo.com with three charity package options from 13 April, 2011, until 07:00hrs (GMT +8), 24th April 2011.

A total of 160 tickets onboard this special flight would be made available for sale on AirAsiaGo.com. Flight tickets for this once in a lifetime experience are available at GBP4,500, while flights and accommodation packages start at GBP5,200 for a single accommodation and GBP5,000 for twin sharing.

Guests on the charity flight can look forward to being entertained by world-class acts such as UK’s very own DJ Jarren C who will spin at the pre-departure event at Stansted; and DJ Dan Healy, who has entertained at after-parties for Alexander McQueen, Matthew Williamson, Jay-Z, and Justin Timberlake.

Spellbinding street magician Dynamo will also be on board to mesmerize. Eddie Jordan, who has put a host of drivers on the world stage including Hill, Mansell, Schumacher, and Senna amongst many others will be performing with his 4-piece band ‘Eddie & The Robbers’ on board the flight as well. Also lookout for actor and comedian James Corden, star of shows Gavin & Stacey and Horne & Corden on BBC; amongst an unforgettable line-up which has been arranged for the charity flight.

Guests who can’t be on the flight, but would like the chance to be entertained by Sir Richard Branson, Dato’ Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes, and a host of top British and Malaysian celebrities, including Formula One Legend, Eddie Jordan in Kuala Lumpur can purchase tickets to the Charity Cocktail Party at GBP350 on May 2, 2011. All tickets and packages are available on AirAsiaGo.com with all proceeds going to beneficiaries to be determined by Dato’ Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes & Sir Richard Branson.

Dato’ Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes, Group CEO of AirAsia Berhad & Principal of Team Lotus comments, “We’ve come a full circle, Richard and I. Who would’ve thought my mentor will be serving as a flight attendant on AirAsia? I’ve got my razor ready, and I can’t wait to shave his hairy legs! Jokes aside, how we got to this charity flight is a testament that we can achieve anything if we are fueled by passion, grit, determination and never take no for an answer. Team Lotus, a Malaysian F1 team, supported by AirAsia, an ASEAN airline has beaten the odds on the race track and on the air, and there will be more to come. I am also glad that we are able to contribute to those in need through this charity flight as well.”

All proceeds collected from the sale of the charity packages and special collector items at the auction during the charity cocktail evening which include personal items from Dato’ Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes and Sir Richard Branson will be channeled towards beneficiaries to be determined and announced by AirAsia & Virgin Unite at a later date.

Official PR.

I think my mum would be in Flight from London to KL but would be 30th of april, arriving here 1may if im not mistaken..but the flight was booked way last year..not sure if it's the same flight...i'll try to get in touch with her n check the flight number.....was a coincidence! :)

Charity Flight Ticket Only MYR22,992 Pricey hehehe

"Duduk dalam Kelas Pertama lagi berbaloi-baloi..."

Doing charity is good no matter the "price" amount need to pay but does it sound too much? Fly with same flight number for those who pay for MYR1,218.67 (as today fare)?

2 free tickets to be given away..

PETALING JAYA: Virgin Group's Sir Richard Branson will have his legs shaved in public for at least 400,000 (RM1.97mil) before he takes on the role of an AirAsia stewardess on a charity flight from London on May 1.

The charity auction will see the successful bidder shave the billionaire's legs in Standsted before the flight leaves for Kuala Lumpur.

Branson also has to don AirAsia's striking red stewardess outfit after losing a Formula One bet to AirAsia group chief executive officer and Team Lotus (previously called Lotus Racing) principal Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes.

However, he would be allowed to keep his facial hair.

Fernandes and Branson in Kuala Lumpur recently

“As an AirAsia flight attendant, Richard would have to comply with our grooming standards, and that includes shaving his legs,” Fernandes said yesterday.

“Richard and I thought we could have a bit of fun, engage with our guests and raise more money for charity, if we opened up the opportunity to the highest bidder. It's the first time we have both agreed on anything so that in itself is worth the price of the opening bid,” he said.

Fernandes also twitted that he would be giving away two free tickets on the flight, details of which will be announced later.

Branson, who owns the Virgin Racing team and fellow budget airline owner Fernandes had wagered a friendly bet at the start of their inaugural Formula One season last year.

However, Branson (pic) lost the bet and had to don a stewardess outfit and serve on an AirAsia flight after his team came in last (12th) in the overall team rankings. Lotus Racing came in 10th.

Bidders must have a confirmed ticket for the charity flight or the cocktail charity evening, which would be held in Putrajaya on May 2.

Guests on board the charity flight would be entertained by performances that include a live band, magic show and a stand-up comedy.

Log on to www.airasiago.com for more information.

source :http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/4/19/nation/8510497&sec=nation

Last-minute deal for Branson-the-hostess flight

PETALING JAYA: There are four days left to buy tickets for the AirAsia charity flight which willl have Virgin Group's Sir Richard Branson as a stewardess.

AirAsia's holiday booking portal www.AirAsiaGo.com is running a special last-minute deal for this unique experience aboard the AirAsia X flight D708 from London to Kuala Lumpur on May 1.

A return flight starts from 2,250 (RM11,204), a return flight

with twin accommodation costs 2,500 (RM12,452) and 2,600 (RM12,950) for a return flight with single accommodation.

All accommodation offered will be at the Putrajaya Marriott Hotel and Spa.

The sale of the charity packages will end at 11.59pm on April 24 and all proceeds will be channelled towards beneficiaries under Virgin United, the non-profit foundation of the Virgin Group.

Online travel company Expedia Inc. is also offering its customers a chance to be on this historic flight.

From now until April 27, every booking made on its Malaysian website www.expedia.com.my gives travellers entry into a draw for a pair of return tickets that Expedia has bought, worth RM22,992.

Passengers will be entertained by a live band, magic show and a stand-up comedian. Branson and Fernandes are also expected to race service carts down the aisle during the flight.

Source : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=%2F2011%2F4%2F22%2Fnation%2F8535059&sec=nation