MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ikman Ikreza

Terengganu Wants To Be AirAsia's East Coast Hub

KUALA TERENGGANU, April 2 (Bernama) -- The Terengganu government is in talks with AirAsia to make the state the east coast hub of the low-cost carrier, Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Said said.

The state also wanted to forge collaboration with AirAsia to train people from Terengganu to be pilots and flight engineers, he told reporters after launching the Terengganu World Invitational Jetrace Challenge (TWIJC) 2011 here last night.

Ahmad said the state government had a similar collaboration with Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

On the TWIJC, which is organised jointly by state government and the Terengganu Marina Club, he said it was a catalyst for Terengganu tourism.

It is being held over three days beginning yesterday at the Ri-Yaz Heritage Marina and Spa in Pulau Duyong, the venue of the Monsoon Cup sailing event.

Several big names are taking part in the challenge, being held for the second time, and they include Amy Green of the United States, Paolo M. Collini (Canada), Mehdi Menad (France), Pancho Marjak (Finland), Seth Milkinson (United Kingdom) and Toshi Ohara (Japan).

The challenge, in which 60 participants in 25 teams are involved, offers total prize money of RM114,500 in eight categories.

-- BERNAMA

Source : http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=575701

It's easy for him to talk. I don't see any reason why AirAsia should even consider that.

Ahmad said the state government had a similar collaboration with Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

What similar colloboration? MAS only stop by in TGG with their 744 for the seasonal Hajj and Umrah chartered flight.

i will choose KBR rather than this ... dry.gif

The problem with KBR is that its terminal is not as big as TGG is, and its runway needs to be extended to accommodate bigger a/cs. That being said, I'd like to see if someone would fly to more destinations from KBR.

First it was Johor.

Then it was Penang.

Then Perak.

Sabah, Sarawak and now Terengganu. I think there was also Melaka at one time.

Take their money and run. Suckers.

And what will AirAsia do when Kuala Terengganu and much of the state of Terengganu's coastal activities shut down during the Northweast Monsoons?

Frankly, the ramp of Kuala Terengganu's Airport will quickly fill up with just a few planes ... a country the size of Malaysia could not possibly want to have so many hubs - soon, there will be northern, southern, east coast, east malaysian, capital and penang hubs.

I bet this will not be happening anytime soon.

KC Sim

... a country the size of Malaysia could not possibly want to have so many hubs - soon, there will be northern, southern, east coast, east malaysian, capital and penang hubs.

Bear in mind too it's not just AK/D7 hubs - there are also MH hubs, FY hubs ..... :D

The problem with KBR is that its terminal is not as big as TGG is, and its runway needs to be extended to accommodate bigger a/cs. That being said, I'd like to see if someone would fly to more destinations from KBR.

That reflects the s******* of the decision makers ,... when they know very well KBR has the numbers in terms of passenger growth and revenue and yet TGG was expended for some p****** reasons!

:pardon: Politicians are hub crazy but have zero knowledge on airline operations. :good:

Not all of them ; but some are.

Typical of the Malaysian way of life, isn't it? All Chiefs and no Indians! If every airport is a hub in Malaysia, the airlines will all have to operate small regional aircraft! If there should be any hub in the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia, it should be in KBR because that is where the traffic volume is.

I think that this year, AirAsia is pre-occupied with their Philippines venture more than anything else. More significant developments in Malaysia can only take place after the new KLIA2 is ready.

TGG state govt. is just saying this for political expediency...

We need to develop other forms of transportation (High speed rail comes to mind)

Once the ECE(East Coast Expressway-Lebuhraya Pantai Timur) is completed,the pax numbers will evaporate,just look what happen to Kuantan after the ECE was opened.

High speed rail to the east coast will be cost prohibitive.Better the project be on the west coast.

Once the ECE(East Coast Expressway-Lebuhraya Pantai Timur) is completed,the pax numbers will evaporate,just look what happen to Kuantan after the ECE was opened.

High speed rail to the east coast will be cost prohibitive.Better the project be on the west coast.

Unlike the West Coast; the "evaporation" of air travelers to KBR may not be that high as even the ECE is extended to KBR , the 600+ KM @ rate of our local speed limit of 110KM/h ( not forgetting 80 -90km/h along the scenic Karak leg) may still take around 5 1/2 - 6 hours to get to KBR. JHB , KUA and IPH faces such "evaporation" of air travelers coz' it takes not more than 3 , 2 1/2 and 2 hours respectively to these places which are less thn time taken to get to SZB / KUL, Check in and fly ..etc.

It would be interesting to c in context of TGG .

Do agree that at this moment it is not feasible on east coast ... not yet.

Believe Chinese gomen is preparing to grant Malaysia soft loan to construct high speed rail from Thai border to Singapore. However, GOM is not very keen :pardon:

Believe Chinese gomen is preparing to grant Malaysia soft loan to construct high speed rail from Thai border to Singapore. However, GOM is not very keen :pardon:

Yes, and guess who is blocking that idea? GLCs are good at blocking tactics!

Yes, and guess who is blocking that idea? GLCs are good at blocking tactics!

is that blind accusation or fact based theory? what i heard is of the contrary. both airlines in msia are willing to work with gom for high speed rail, provided some conditions are met.

its the "chinese gom giving soft loan" statement which i found quite hard to believe.

is that blind accusation or fact based theory? what i heard is of the contrary. both airlines in msia are willing to work with gom for high speed rail, provided some conditions are met.

its the "chinese gom giving soft loan" statement which i found quite hard to believe.

Before the Asian financial crisis in 1997, high speed rail between KL and JB/SIN was proposed but shelved to protect KUL and MH.

Why hard to believe? Chinese gomen has the resources and means. They are extending soft loan to both Thailand and Laos for high speed rail connecting Kunming, Vientiane and Bangkok.

:drinks:

Typical of the Malaysian way of life, isn't it? All Chiefs and no Indians!....

Nice analogy. Yes everyone wants to be a chief leaving feasibility aside. There is only a hub in the Peninsular and that role has pretty much been covered. Who would go to Terrengganu before transiting to Kota Bahru or East Malaysia? Silly...

Why hard to believe? Chinese gomen has the resources and means. They are extending soft loan to both Thailand and Laos for high speed rail connecting Kunming, Vientiane and Bangkok.

Weren't the Chinese government also proposing the same thing to the Obama Administration for High Speed Rail across the USA last year?

Edited by S V Choong

If a 300 km/h high speed rail service is introduced on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia, the PLUS highway and airlines will suffer loss of business. As such, they will be the first to make representations to the government.

Having said that, it would be good to have the HSR up and running before the capacity of PLUS is saturated. It is greener to take some traffic off the roads and put them on the railways.

If a 300 km/h high speed rail service is introduced on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia, the PLUS highway and airlines will suffer loss of business. As such, they will be the first to make representations to the government.

Having said that, it would be good to have the HSR up and running before the capacity of PLUS is saturated. It is greener to take some traffic off the roads and put them on the railways.

But if it costs more to take a family of four on the high speed train, I don't see HSR taking up NSE capacity.

Most of the states want AK to build the hub... same goes for Labuan... AK wish to build a hub in Kuching only if a LCCT is build... how rubbish...

So it is an assumption then.

They did make 'representations' to the G but not in a 'typical GLC blocking' manner you suggested before. In fact, they were quite co-operative. Like i said, they each have their own conditions which they are bringing up to the G; sort of a formula how HSR and Air travel can co-exist.

Don't just dismiss next time.

So it is an assumption then.

They did make 'representations' to the G but not in a 'typical GLC blocking' manner you suggested before. In fact, they were quite co-operative. Like i said, they each have their own conditions which they are bringing up to the G; sort of a formula how HSR and Air travel can co-exist.

Don't just dismiss next time.

Why not? GLCs have proven time and again to be secretive and non-transparent - this encourages public speculation. Besides, everyone is free to have their own opinion.

Anyway, this is way off topic now. So will not comment on it further.

Edited by flee

Sign in to follow this