MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sri Ramani K.

MH A/C Skidded Upon Landing?

it says "Just before liftoff, the tyre beneath the right wing burst."

I don't really get it. It bursts while taking off, and they did continue the journey?

I mean how would they know it was merely tyre bursting and it didn't harm any other parts of the aircraft?

Edited by Min Chun

it says "Just before liftoff, the tyre beneath the right wing burst."

I don't really get it. It bursts while taking off, and they did continue the journey?

I mean how would they know it was merely tyre bursting and it didn't harm any other parts of the aircraft?

I'm sure the pilots took the decision after considering all factors like checking the instruments, engine parameters, behavior of the flight controls, consulting the checklists and manuals and they can also call engineering to ask for their opinion. Anyway if nothing else was affected it is always better to continue as the aircraft will be lighter with much less fuel in the tanks during the expected landing with burst tires.

Another tyre burst incident reported on MH's aircraft. This time around the aircraft, a B744 bound for LHR, dumped fuel and returned back to KUL 1 hour after departure. As revealed by londonbased of Skyscrapercity:

I was with MAS from Lon-KL-Lon recently (1st time with MAS) in Business Class. I have to say the cabin crews,foods,services.....they were all very good.The only downside is the seat. I think they really should change/upgrade it to full flat bed!

And on the way back to London, after approx.1hr plus in the sky, we heard announcement from Captain telling we have to return to KLIA because of ''technical'' problem. Later on on, been told by one of the cabin crew, the reason was one of the tyre was burst during the take off and was vibrating non stop. apprently, passengers at the back in economy class was terrified!! while we were cruising to KLIA, they have to remove the oil...we can see from the wing!! scary..

I have to say, the crews were extremely helpfull and calm. for the delay, free nite at KLIA pan pacifick hotel ( not bad ). and spent more time in the lounge.

I think I might try MAS again in the future!

while we were cruising to KLIA, they have to remove the oil...we can see from the wing!!

I'm quite sure the writer is a Malaysian, or at least Asian.

Maybe the writer thinks that planes run on crude oil! ;)

Capt, correct me if I am wrong, but from I have read, 737 DO NOT come with fuel dumping mechanism...thus the holding for so long to BURN FUEL OFF...what he saw was the vortex I believed....I could be wrong...

Capt, correct me if I am wrong, but from I have read, 737 DO NOT come with fuel dumping mechanism...thus the holding for so long to BURN FUEL OFF...what he saw was the vortex I believed....I could be wrong...

Ok, my bad, this was another incident involving a 747...sorry!